PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Imperial Guard

Pink Horror
21-01-2009, 14:14
In my opinion, the guard are the basis of the game. A guardsman is supposed to represent a regular, trained soldier with a regular gun. Ten go in a squad, and that is the base squad size throughout the game. They are meant to outnumber rare, elite forces like the marines, but they are supposed to be outnumbered by swarms, even though almost every alien in the game is defined by rules that make it better than a regular person. And that is fine. Unless some enemy is specifically meant to be throwaway grunts like gretchin or the worst gaunts, they should beat a guardsman one-on-one.

The advantage the guard should have is their organization. The guard has a firm structure in place to extract every last bit of combat potential out of its low-tech equipment and poor recruits. I think playing as the guard should feel that way. The other armies have all moved beyond common sense. Only the guard have any left.

I think the key to generating this feel for the player comes from the command structure. The vox-casters should be the biggest weapons the guard has. I think a command squad would be something like the inquisitor's retinue. Each advisor could provide a special order that lets you do some modern tactical thing that the crazy xenos or marines forgot about. Psychers and priests could also give you a couple nonsensical alternatives. And, of course, you can laugh at all of the sci-fi garbage your enemy shoots at you, when your guardsmen are backed-up by big cannons firing big explosives. That still seems to work just fine.

I'm going to write some rules to go along with these ideas soon. It is important to me to get the basic platoon just right, before even worrying about what to do with rough riders or ogryns.

Tema69
22-01-2009, 13:11
I'd be interested in seeing how you rewrite the platoon rules. Be sure to post 'em.

CthulhuDalek
25-01-2009, 06:26
And here I was thinking this was going to be about Hebrew imperials...

Pink Horror
25-01-2009, 07:43
And here I was thinking this was going to be about Hebrew imperials...

The Hebrew Guard are the Squats - endlessly persecuted and despised.

CthulhuDalek
25-01-2009, 10:09
The Hebrew Guard are the Squats - endlessly persecuted and despised.

Ahahahahaha

Pink Horror
28-01-2009, 11:59
Argh, I wanted to do this, but ideas keep creeping in from another thing I'm working on. I can't compromise that other project. D'oh!