PDA

View Full Version : WOC quick hitter

LordChaos76
21-01-2009, 19:52
Looking for a hero unit to deliver a quick strike right from turn 1. I was thinking a hero/caster on a slaanesh stead was my best option?

changer of fate
21-01-2009, 21:04
IMO get your best hero on foot, get a sorcerer with book of secret and choose shadow steed from lore of shadow.

Move your hero, cast the spell, pray no dispels and 20" into the enemy line.....

mossel
21-01-2009, 22:04
people will see this coming, especially if the character is on his one.
though this would be the only way to be able to charge for sure in turn 1.
maybe a nurgle hero with shield, sword of battle and the book of secrets?
or slaanesh if you'd want to make sure he charges...
or a mark, a great weapon/additional hand weapon/halberd, shield and the book of secrets to keep him cheaper?

base his equipement depending on what unit you'd like to charge.

make sure you're opponent has other magic to dispell, as otherwise, this character will never get his spell through. use the free die from the book and a die from the pool, just to make sure you get the spell cast!

I'd go for Exalted Hero (the Mark of Nurgle, additional hand weapon, shield and the Book of Secrets), rounding out at 164 pts. I think this would do great against a smaller shooting unit or a war machine. Charge out, kill the target unit, get the character behind enemy lines and start wreaking havoc! :)

LordChaos76
21-01-2009, 23:27
How bout it I just made tough advancing unit maybe a juggernaut riding hero?
Would ideally just like to knock him into a defensive stance from the start while I widdle him away.

Jericho
22-01-2009, 00:31
Unless your opponent marches towards your lines on turn 1, the only way you will be charging into combat is through Magic. There are several ways to do this. Relying on the Book of Secrets is risky business. They will see this coming from a mile away, and your character will be light on combat equipment after buying the stupid book anyway.

Another option is to actually suck it up and buy a mage with Lore of Shadow. That means either an unmarked Sorcerer Lord (now he's not a bad guy to take the Book of Shadows and/or a Spell Familiar, he is likely going to have all the spells from the Lore this way) or an unmarked Daemon Prince. Either way, it's a very expensive catapult. You can hopefully get both Steed of Shadows and Unseen Lurker to get two attempts at moving in the magic phase. Unseen Lurker is nice because obviously the entire unit charges, and not just the flying character.

Frankly Unseen Lurker is a risk anyway since an Exalted Champion of Chaos isn't really that terrifying on foot. He can either bolster his defense or take some choppy upgrades, doing both is nearly impossible. Anyway you'd be foolish to charge any ranked up unit with a flying Champion. You are outnumbered, they have a banner, and likely 2+ ranks. You lose ties because no musician. So yeah you need 5+ wounds to win combat, and your guy only has 4 attacks base. Mark of Khorne and the Berserker Sword can get him up to 8, but you still have to hit, wound and get through any armor/ward saves. Even if you hit on 3's, wound on 2's, and reduce their armor save to a 6+ then Mathhammer still says only 3.7 kills. You should be able to assassinate many Hero level characters with this setup, but against rank and file or in a challenge you are still likely to lose combat and flee.

Steed of Slaanesh is a good mount for 25 pts. It's barely more expensive than a Chaos Steed, and you trade a point of armor save and a point of strength for a poisoned attack, 3 higher movement and causing Fear. Not a bad deal. However, I am not hugely fond of the Mark of Slaanesh for characters. Any Demonic Mount causes Fear (and makes the character immune to fear obviously), and they re-roll Panic due to Will of the Gods anyway. Seems like a waste when you could be using any of the other Marks to give you more of a combat edge.

Anyway I don't think you can count on a Turn 1 charge with a Chaos army. Some other armies can do this by having magic items, bound spells, or multiple casters trying to cast movement spells. Unless you can steal a movement spell from an opponent with the Third Eye of Tzeentch, you need to use a Lord level character to get a decent chance of casting a movemnt spell. I don't think it's worth the cost.

BattleofLund
22-01-2009, 00:34
Exalted Champion of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh (fast cav), Death's head, Blade of Ensorcelled Iron (sorry, I mean 'Sword of Striking' :)), shield. Effective range (of the one-shot missile) turn 1: 32".

LordChaos76
22-01-2009, 03:10
isnt it 22"

mossel
22-01-2009, 07:43
Steeds of Slaanesh are fast cav, so you could march and throw the Head at your enemy.

bork da basher
22-01-2009, 09:30
if you play heavy tzeentch magic, you can fairly reliably throw an called to glory exalted with steed of shadows (from the book) accross the table every turn if your lucky(well as often as the exalted dies i suppose) yeah your not paying the points for the charecter but you will loose the vp when they die so its swings and roundabouts.

FallenAfh
22-01-2009, 09:56
But you can always end the spell the exact moment he is just about to die. No 100 vp for you ;)

changer of fate
22-01-2009, 10:03
gee, i wish i could be that smart.......haha

LordChaos76
23-01-2009, 01:31
What about something that can soak up hits as it makes its way down the field? Nurgle something or other?

BattleofLund
23-01-2009, 02:20
Exalted of Nurgle, barded Chaos Steed, Armour of Morrslieb (4+ ward against non-magical attacks), flail, shield, Blood-curdling Roar.

Granted, not too survivable against Magic Missiles (just T4 and an 1+ save), but can take a whole lot of ordinary ones. For example, a Helblaster at long range that rolls the maximum number (30) of Str5 shots will average five sixths of a wound against him.

Also quite capable of starting killing enemies turn one.

And for an extra outlay of 10 points (since the mundane shield costs 5) you get an Enchanted Shield.

mossel
23-01-2009, 07:43
armour of morrslieb + enchanted shield isn't allowed anymore...

BattleofLund
23-01-2009, 14:26
Yep, caught me there. My bad.