PDA

View Full Version : Reimagining an oop race

Easy E
01-12-2005, 03:52
Greetings,

I have spent some time trying to develop new codex for the squats. However, I did not want a re-hash of everything that has come before. So I decided to go a little bit Hollywood on it and "Re-Imagine" them. Some of the traditional elements are there. I also have added some new twists to expand on their history and character.

As always C&C is requested. Hopefully, I will have a trial army list up in a few days in the Rules Development Forum. When I do I will post a link.

Regards

Edit: I updated The Clans pt. 1 with new and updated information. I tweaked the wording for more purple prose (In some areas), added more detail int eh History section, and added a section on Space Travel (With a nod to the Death of the Squats thread in the Background Forum). Let me know what you think as I am now moving onto The Clans pt 2.

Hellebore
01-12-2005, 09:43
Not bad, there are a couple of things I would change (personally).

first, I would make their domains smaller, so that they do not appear as an alien 'race' like an empire similar to the tau, but rather an independent group of colonies that are still really small (like an imperial sub-sector). They are afterall still only a group of colonies of humans, and not THAT many humans became squats.

I would avoid making their technology BETTER than the eldar in ANY area, as the only race capable of that are the necrons.

The eldar have technology that was developed over more than 60 million years, no matter how good the squat tech is, they can't compete with that kind of experience.

I was going to ask what you planned to do about the tyranid thing, but I liked your answer- it was what I envisaged.

The idea would be to show that the Imperium THINKS the squat homeworlds are destroyed due to the nids, as they have not heard anything from them. this would reflect the isolationist agenda they have- as they no longer trust anybody.

al in all, I like it.

hellebore

Easy E
02-12-2005, 03:36
As promised here is the link to the Army lists stuff:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18053

Regards.

Easy E
06-12-2005, 18:49
first, I would make their domains smaller, so that they do not appear as an alien 'race' like an empire similar to the tau, but rather an independent group of colonies that are still really small (like an imperial sub-sector). They are afterall still only a group of colonies of humans, and not THAT many humans became squats.

The original Strongholds were more like large cities. However, I didn't see this as being a feasible resource base to field a large force. That's why I upgraded to strongholds being planet sized. The Clans on the other hand can cover more than one planet.

I agree that their population should not be large. I feel that they could be about the same size as the Tau, but just spread out over a much larger area within the galactic Core and isolated from one another. I will try and make this clearer.

I would avoid making their technology BETTER than the eldar in ANY area, as the only race capable of that are the necrons.

The eldar have technology that was developed over more than 60 million years, no matter how good the squat tech is, they can't compete with that kind of experience.

Thanks for pointing this out. This was a throw away line form the Warhammer Compilation. I thought I re-worded it to be more along the lines that the Eldar were impressed by the sophistication of the technology, not that it was better. I agree with you, that it should not be close to Eldar or Necron tech. I will try and re-phrase this more clearly.

I was going to ask what you planned to do about the tyranid thing, but I liked your answer- it was what I envisaged.

The idea would be to show that the Imperium THINKS the squat homeworlds are destroyed due to the nids, as they have not heard anything from them. this would reflect the isolationist agenda they have- as they no longer trust anybody.

al in all, I like it.

hellebore

Thanks. I appreciate the time you took to read through it all and comment. I will gladly make the changes I mentioned above.

Helicon_One
06-12-2005, 22:35
All pretty good, except I'm not keen on the Squats fighting off the Nid fleets and remaining a viable power in the aftermath. Its much more appropriate (ie, darker and nastier) for the Squats to barely beat back the Tyranids at enourmous cost, and then for the Imperium to take advantage of the Squat's weakened state by turning up en masse, enslaving the remaining civilians into forge world slave labour, the soldiers into disposable cannon-fodder batallions, and the AdMechs carting off anything that looks useful and techy (whilst wasting the bulk of it through their sheer ignorance, of course). Maybe a few can escape this fate, but the Imps will be poking around trying to find what they can.

I keep meaning to write a fluff piece about a force of Squats enslaved into Imperial service, stripped of their racial identities, treated as lowly as the penal legions, their once proud spirits all but broken... I might get around to it one day.

Tim

Easy E
06-12-2005, 22:41
All pretty good, except I'm not keen on the Squats fighting off the Nid fleets and remaining a viable power in the aftermath. Its much more appropriate (ie, darker and nastier) for the Squats to barely beat back the Tyranids at enourmous cost, and then for the Imperium to take advantage of the Squat's weakened state by turning up en masse, enslaving the remaining civilians into forge world slave labour, the soldiers into disposable cannon-fodder batallions, and the AdMechs carting off anything that looks useful and techy (whilst wasting the bulk of it through their sheer ignorance, of course). Maybe a few can escape this fate, but the Imps will be poking around trying to find what they can.

I keep meaning to write a fluff piece about a force of Squats enslaved into Imperial service, stripped of their racial identities, treated as lowly as the penal legions, their once proud spirits all but broken... I might get around to it one day.

Well, they are still a viable enitity, but only because the attacking fleet itself splintered. The Clans were only saved by the fact that their worlds were not viable to support a large hive fleet, and the Tyranids moved onto greener pastures.

The Clans themselves are virtually wiped out compared to what they once were. They are a small and scattered force. So few in number that the Imperium believe they are wiped out completely.

So essentially, they are now a force struggling to pulls itself back up by the bootstraps. Perhaps the Imperium will sweep in and destory them yet. Or orks, or Eldar, or some other Xenos.

Hellebore
07-12-2005, 13:14
Another idea, more to do with astheitcs than anything else.

Change the name. It would be I think highly appropriate to make the term 'squat' an imperial derogatory term like ratling.

The squats must have a name for themselves, and it would give them much more credibility.

The fact that they were part of the original human colonists to spread out to the galaxy could give you a clue- maybe they see themselves as the only TRUE humans left?
They retain the technology of their forefathers and teh memory of them, why not give them an air of racial superiority in addition to their technological one?

Perhaps they call themselves the trueborn, or Lastbloods, or Pureborn?

Maybe they call themselves Primatorians or Unimans (a play on human).

They are the oldest human colonists with thousands of years of isolation to develop a very distinct culture- it would be good to have them as 'squats' in slurs only.

hellebore

Easy E
07-12-2005, 21:26
I agree that the term Squats should be derogaroty.

However, they usually refer to themselves by there clan name, stronghold, and then league associations. So they would refer to themselves as Clan Golgotha from Njal Stronghold as a member of League Beowulf. They do not identify themselves in a racial term, only on the level of where there political obligations are tied. So when they refer to themselves as a larger entity, the general term Clansman is used. I will try an make this more clear in the Social/Political section.

Those race names you mentioned were very creative. They sound like a good idea for Hlok's design a race thread. An abhuman race that feels everyone else is the abhumans and they are the true evolutionary step of man. That's got style.