PDA

View Full Version : Magic Standard Question

Tuned
22-01-2009, 10:56
reading through the dark elf army book, it states Dark elf Warriors may carry a magic standard worth up to 25 pts.

Now does this include a war banner or is that considered a magic item? if so, being a common magic item could i field 3 units each with their own war banner? i used the search function and couldnt find much regarding this, but i do apologise if it has already been answered.

Essentially a unit of 20 spearmen would be +5 combat res, +6 if outnumbering before any wounds, a massive advantage to have.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the feedback.

theunwantedbeing
22-01-2009, 11:02
*dies a little inside*

A war banner is a magic banner, its says so in its description.
As for taking multiple common magic items,thats wrong and I will let you trawl the rulebook to find out why, it seems you need to have a good read of it anyway.

nosferatu1001
22-01-2009, 14:10
Agreed - there are specific prohibitions regarding all magic items, which you need to read - only specific items have exemptions, and the war banenr is not one of them.

EldarBishop
22-01-2009, 19:35
Oh, wouldn't that be nice. (Well probably not because if everybody did it, we might as well play 1800 points a side).

OT: The answers you seek are in the magic items section of the main rulebook.

Tuned
22-01-2009, 22:18
thanks guys, new to fantasy so im still wrapping my head around magic items as im so used to "wargear"

apologise again for the noobish qiestions

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 07:53
No worries - think of it as the unique wargear you used to have in certain books, where you could only have 1 per army.

Just remember - when facing Daemons none of their items are Magic, so they can have multiple banners, gifts etc....

Condottiere
23-01-2009, 08:53
Annoyingly true, however, icons can be treated as magic items, so effects that target that aspect will have an effect on icons.

Braad
23-01-2009, 09:00
Magic banners are magic items, as said.

To give a bit more information around this, it works as follows:
You got magic items, and they all follow the rules for 'magic items'.
Then you got sub-groups within the magic item section that got some extra rules, namely the following:
Weapons, armour, talismans, arcane, enchanted and banner.

The last one (banners) can be carried only by a Battle standard bearer or the banner bearer (which must be bought first!) of a unit that has such an allowance as those warriors.

This makes the banner the only type of item that (normally) can be carried by something else then a character.

You can only pick one item per each group for a single model. So never two weapons, two talismans or whatever...

Tuned
23-01-2009, 10:19
ah thanks guys, yeah i wasnt sure if common allowed mutliple and the other magic items were like unique wargear, thanks for the clarification

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 10:59
Common in this instance means "common to all armies" - i.e. all armies have a sword of striking, power stones etc. These items are then more fully described in the BRB, so the summary in each army book should be read as just htat :)

As we said - don't worry too much, fantasy has a whole slew of extra rules that take a long while to get your head around. I've been playing 7th since it came out and there are still bits that get me!