PDA

View Full Version : Word Bearers Hatred

the1stpip
22-01-2009, 15:10
What do GW have against the Word Bearers?

They are not amongst the Renegade chapters near the front of the Chaos Codex (although the other 8 legions are) and they are not in the gallery showcase on the GW website (again, the others are).

Its probably just a mistake (there are two entire pictures in the Chaos Codex of Word Bearer models) but this kind of thing should have been picked up.

Ravenheart
22-01-2009, 15:16
Sounds like the Iron Hands treatement.

They better get some more spotlight soon; being one of the most interessting chaos legions.

Logarithm Udgaur
22-01-2009, 15:21
A lot of the things GW does do not make any sense to me (they must follow Tzeench). Concidering the Word Bearers are one of the few Chaos legions outside of the Eye, I would think they would have prime spot in the new codex.

loveless
22-01-2009, 15:22
They got the short straw, like the Iron Hands did in the Loyalist Codex. However, the Iron Hands at least had a story about them in the fluff section. I haven't read through Codex: Chaos Space Marines and it's fluff - just the rules bits.

Johnnyfrej
22-01-2009, 15:34
The Word Bearers do get some love from Black Library. Their hit book Dark Apostle and it's sequal are quite good.

Thanatos_elNyx
22-01-2009, 15:52
At least they get a mention in the main fluff. The Thousand Sons aren't mentioned in teh main story of the Horus Heresy at all!

They go from having 4 Legions, being joined by 4 more and then arriving at Earth with 9! WTF.

Whitehorn
22-01-2009, 16:06
Oh well, you'll just have to wait for the 2 upcoming TS books ^^

Baragash
22-01-2009, 16:44
At least they get a mention in the main fluff. The Thousand Sons aren't mentioned in teh main story of the Horus Heresy at all!

They go from having 4 Legions, being joined by 4 more and then arriving at Earth with 9! WTF.

Sounds like classic Tzeentch misdirection to me. Yeah, that must be it.

Col. Tartleton
22-01-2009, 17:45
Thats cause it wasn't the TS who went to Terra, it was the 11th legion duh. They don't mention the details cause thats secret.

Everyone knows that the TS are loyalist and its all misdirection on the part of Tzeeencth to make the Imperials think they're evil because Magnus knows Tzeentches secrets.

Koryphaus
22-01-2009, 20:53
Yeah it is a shame really.. Especially seeing as it was the Word Bearers who got the whole thing rolling in the first place...

Count de Monet
22-01-2009, 21:06
I don't think that not being prominently highlighted in the recent codex counts as "hatred", given they're prominent in multiple BL books, had an Index Astartes and specific rules in the 3.5 codex, featured frequently in WD battle reports...

So no, the recent codex isn't proof that they hate the Word Bearers specifically.

It's just proof that they hate the Legions in general. ;)

TheOneWithNoName
22-01-2009, 21:12
They needed the space for such prominent renegade chapters like the Bleak Brotherhood and Punishers. :eyebrows:

boogle
22-01-2009, 21:26

They are not amongst the Renegade chapters near the front of the Chaos Codex (although the other 8 legions are) and they are not in the gallery showcase on the GW website (again, the others are).

Its probably just a mistake (there are two entire pictures in the Chaos Codex of Word Bearer models) but this kind of thing should have been picked up.

not sure what you mean by 'near the front' the coloured illustrations are in alphabetical order and they have an icon bearer in the painted models section.

One reason could well be the lack of painted models for the WB.

However they more than make up for possible lack of GW love by having 2 cracking BL novels and being the main protagonists in the Deus books (i forget if they are in the 1st or second one), and of course THe most hated Space Marine in the HH books (Erebus)

Ravenheart
22-01-2009, 21:33
However they more than make up for possible lack of GW love by having 2 cracking BL novels and being the main protagonists in the Deus books (i forget if they are in the 1st or second one), and of course THe most hated Space Marine in the HH books (Erebus)

Which are those two cracking books? Are they really recommendable?

boogle
22-01-2009, 21:34
Dark Apostle and Dark Disciple, both centred around Word Bearers

Ravenheart
22-01-2009, 22:02
Dark Apostle and Dark Disciple, both centred around Word Bearers

Usually I stear clear of BL books, but the widely recommeded 'Lord of the Night' was quite enjoyable. Are this two of comparable quality to LotN?

Magos Explorator
22-01-2009, 22:05
I thought that they were better than Lord of the Night, but I didn't think Lord of the Night was that great. I'd say they're readable, but I prefer e.g. Dan Abnett or Ian Watson's writing.

redbaron998
23-01-2009, 00:53
While WB didnt get any love from the codex, we do have the two best Chaos BL books out there with Dark Apostle and even more so with Dark Disiple (excluding Storm of Iron of course)

Logarithm Udgaur
23-01-2009, 03:02
Usually I stear clear of BL books, but the widely recommeded 'Lord of the Night' was quite enjoyable. Are this two of comparable quality to LotN?

I have not read the second book yet, but the first is about at a level with LoTN, albeit more centered around battlefield exploitation than solo guerrilla warfare.

Frep
23-01-2009, 03:12
And the Battle for the Abyss is centered on the Word bearers as well. I also have found them to be a very fascinating legion, but they generally get downplayed as they're not one of the "cult" legions and the possession of undivided flagship is taken by the Black Legion.

Born Again
23-01-2009, 10:13
Yeah it is a shame really.. Especially seeing as it was the Word Bearers who got the whole thing rolling in the first place...

Something oft forgotten, but as WB is my choice of legion, something I'm proud of :evilgrin:

In the 3rd edition codex, there was two pages with short histories of all the legions... except word bearers. :rolleyes:

Blue Orphen
23-01-2009, 13:52
As far as I know, the Studio only has one squad of painted Word Bearers in their collection, the 10-man squad featured in the 3.5 CSM book. And they are pretty poorly painted, especially compared to the other legions.

Who cares if GW doesn't showcase them? They're still one of the coolest legions, regardless of whether or not GW wants to believe it =)

This also opens up the possibility of them getting the Salamanders treatment in the future - going from barely mentioned to very prominent and (arguably) most effective on the battlefield.

Lord Damocles
23-01-2009, 14:19
Anyway, if the internet is to be believed (and why would we not trust the internet?) you can't make a Word Bearers army anyway since there are no Dark Apostles in the codex.
/sarcasm

cortejri
23-01-2009, 14:29
Its not hard to figure it out.. Word bearers are hated for a simple reason

they are filthy, traitorous heathens who have turned from the light of the immortal emperor.. They and their ilk (and people that play them, and xenos scum) deserve nothing but condemnation and the cleansing flame of the righteous forces of the imperium...

and anyways.. iron warriors are much cooler :)

grizzly ruin
23-01-2009, 14:58

Space had to be made for the Death Shadows, Dragon Warriors and Skyrar's Dark Wolves. Because people were clamoring for them, and no one really cares about the 9 legions.

/sarcasm

Seriously...Skyrar...:wtf:

Vampiric16
23-01-2009, 15:58
I own a white dwarf that includes WB in a 4 way battle. So there is a studio army out there, its just they are obviously not as popular as warriors of mayhem. ;)
The actual codex is workable, not great but definately workable. I actually benefitted from the daemon nerf: my 17pt horrors became 13pt daemons with the stats of a space marine.
The glaring problem is the writers misguided attempts to add flavour to an already delicious army. While I'm sure there are some interesting little warbands running amok around the galaxy, I hasten to add: I really don't care.

willydstyle
23-01-2009, 16:02
Space had to be made for the Death Shadows, Dragon Warriors and Skyrar's Dark Wolves. Because people were clamoring for them, and no one really cares about the 9 legions.

/sarcasm

Seriously...Skyrar...:wtf:

To be fair, the Dragon Warriors actually look kinda cool :) And if they're traitor salamanders, you could do a neat themed force with CSM squads with two meltas, flamers, terminators with heavy flamers, a daemon prince with Wind of Chaos (super magic flamer!) etc.

I agree with you though... the entire Horus Heresy is hardly larger than a foot note in the new codex, and this saddens me more than the loss of special rules for the legions: the loss of the background for the legions.

Murrithius
23-01-2009, 16:05
I think the 4 way battle was using the player's own armies.

And don't forget that Word Bearers are in Fire Warrior too, with really cool screaming Bolters! lol!

Hakkapelli
23-01-2009, 16:09
I own a white dwarf that includes WB in a 4 way battle. So there is a studio army out there

You are mistaken. That particular WD is from the time not only studio armies featured in batreps. I own the same WD and IIR it was Mat Ward's own word bearers army.

It's a shame that they arn't included since they are one of the coolest undivided legions. Much more interesting then the black legion and renegades that the current codex unfortunatley focusses on.

Vampiric16
23-01-2009, 17:30
(Reads through old WD) Ah yes, my mistake. But the point still stands, there was a WB army available for photos.

Killgore
23-01-2009, 19:52
Word Bearers also feature in the Black Library book Deamonworld which has recently been re-released

even though only a small squad of them feature in the book it still makes for interesting reading

Warboss Antoni
23-01-2009, 20:06
One reason could well be the lack of painted models for the WB
Remember how GW used to have sample army lists on the web? Well WB had a 1500 and 2500 sample. I'm not sure if it survived the move though.
And honestly, who would want to play Word Bearers in the new book when your diverese demon centered army became 20 space marines and 50 "demons"?

Glabro
23-01-2009, 20:59
I recommend the (at least ten years old) PC game Chaos Gate for all you Word Bearers fans (though you might need to use a Virtual Machine to run it nowadays), lovely fun butchering those gullible Wordies by the dozens per mission.

Oh, wait...

Shamfrit
23-01-2009, 21:25
Heaven forbid it's because there are a fairly large amount of Traitor Legions and a limited amount of printing space with which to display 30,000+ years of history :p

Ravenheart
23-01-2009, 21:32
Heaven forbid it's because there are a fairly large amount of Traitor Legions and a limited amount of printing space with which to display 30,000+ years of history :p

Well if you look at such gems like 'the Punishers', 'the Reborn' or the aformentoend 'Skyrar's Dark Wolves', it's just understandable that such a minor and insigificant legion as the WB had to make way. :p

Shamfrit
23-01-2009, 21:54
Maybe they only wanted to focus on one legion for each god, and the Black Legion for all?

World Eaters are far tastier!

MrBigMr
23-01-2009, 21:57
What do they have against Chaos in general? I would think that they just didn't know what to do with the Legion and for that reason kept a low profile on it until they could come up with something better. Lets face it, GW has lately been more fixed on making rules for Chaos, rather than fluff. For this reason the Chaos releases as of late have been rather poor on the fluff side.

Sounds like the Iron Hands treatement.
I think I got one of those during my last massage. Worth every penny, if you're into that sort of stuff.