PDA

View Full Version : First 2250 Tomb King List

CommanderMoose
22-01-2009, 15:32
So this is my first attempt at a Tomb King list and after reading some tacticas I decided to go for a more balanced list.

Tomb King, Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh- 265

Liche Priest, Cloak of Dunes - 135

Liche Priest - 115

Tomb Prince, Chariot, Spear of Antarhak - 180

2x4 Chariots, Standard Banner, Musician - 380

2x 20 Skeleton Warriors, bows musician - 330

2 Scorpion - 170

20 Tomb Guard, musician, standard bear, Icon of Rakaph - 298

4 Ushabti - 260

1 Screaming Skull Catapult, Skull of Foe - 110

So the plan is put the Tomb King in Tomb Guard unit, and the Tomb Prince with one chariot unit, priests will be in the center helping out.

Not sure if I should keep the other chariot unit or switch out for another unit of warrriors.

Any tips would be helpful.

Malorian
22-01-2009, 21:26
The only thing I'd change is the two units of bowmen. If they were regular warriors with shields then you would have two more solid blocks to support your tombguard rather than those weak missile units.

moose
22-01-2009, 21:31
I'd keep both chariot units, so you can hold off on where the prince goes incase of units with Str7 being deployed.

I like the structure of the list but I would agree with Malorian that the Tomb Guard can't be your only anvil, you'll need another skeleton block to redirect/hold charges etc. Also skeleton bowmen have never served me well, and the chariots/ushabti are your offense anyway.

grhino
22-01-2009, 21:52
There's 20 wounds in those skellie units of archers... they can take most charges. You might want to increase their numbers slightly and give them a standard and champion as well, just to be sure the reform and take the charge does not end up in 20 destroyed in one go... otherwise: nice list. Maybe the Hierophant is a bit vulnerable... make sure he's out of reach or LOS for shooting/magic.

Neckutter
22-01-2009, 22:07
So this is my first attempt at a Tomb King list and after reading some tacticas I decided to go for a more balanced list.

Liche Priest - 115

2x4 Chariots, Standard Banner, Musician - 380

2x 20 Skeleton Warriors, bows musician - 330

2 Scorpion - 170

4 Ushabti - 260

So the plan is put the Tomb King in Tomb Guard unit, and the Tomb Prince with one chariot unit, priests will be in the center helping out.

Not sure if I should keep the other chariot unit or switch out for another unit of warrriors.

Any tips would be helpful.

your king and prince need to change roles. your king needs to be in a chariot with the spear. make your chariot units only 3 strong, and not four. also give the unit with your king the icon of the eye.

catapults arent my favorite. i like bone giants better.
4 ushabti is the perfect number, good job.
you need one of your priests to ride a casket of souls to give you some more magic potentcy. also one of your priests needs a 4+ wardsave(preferably the guy on the casket), and the other NEEDS the hieratic jar. trust me. hieratic jar=win. dispell scrolls are garbage, thanks for not taking any.

if you have the models, i would take tomb swarms rather than tomb scorpions. also i would make your 40 archers split up into a unit of 30 and a unit of 10. that way you can target your "smiting" spell on the 30 unit, and get more bang for your buck.

CommanderMoose
22-01-2009, 22:26
Well I have read that the bowmen are not really that much worse then hand weapon, shield, and they still get to shot. Is it worth being able to shoot for a turn or two before combat?

Also what should I cut to add a banner to the unit?

Thx for the help.

GodlessM
22-01-2009, 23:04
i would take tomb swarms rather than tomb scorpions

You are joking right?

Mooglemen
23-01-2009, 07:01
Take my next comments with as much reluctance as you want, since we all have our own playstyles...

That said, I think your magic phase looks a little anemic. I would drop the Prince for another liche with the casket, and slap the King in a chariot with the spear.(may take some points fiddling to make this happen)
TKs live and die by their magic, and the casket does so much more in practice than just what is on paper in the army book. It's a psychological weapon. Opponents will save their dispell dice to stop the casket, thus allowing your other spells to go off more effectively. If you are free to cast your incantations while your opponent hoards dice to stop the CoS, you have the advantage even if it never goes off in an entire game. Plus, slap that SSC next to the casket and the casket liche has something to cast on every round. Just don't make the casket liche your Herio.

march10k
23-01-2009, 07:46
I agree that it needs to be the king in the chariot with the eye and the spear. I also give mine the armor that gives +1 wound, but that's not really essential.

Skeletal bowmen are MUCH better than skeletal swordsmen. In fact, skeletal bowmen are some of the best missile troops in the game. Nothing but nothing modifiest their 5+ to hit. skinks and wood elves really suffer....

moose
23-01-2009, 13:40
I agree that it needs to be the king in the chariot with the eye and the spear. I also give mine the armor that gives +1 wound, but that's not really essential.

Skeletal bowmen are MUCH better than skeletal swordsmen. In fact, skeletal bowmen are some of the best missile troops in the game. Nothing but nothing modifiest their 5+ to hit. skinks and wood elves really suffer....

Skeletal bowmen are great, but his list doesn't need shooting. The chariot units at the moment look like theyre going up on their own, and they work best at charging baited units. Ushabti are quite expensive to use as a holding unit.

I like your king/guard combo, it works really well especially with the icon of rakaph. The unit can both hit hard and take damage. The prince with chariot of fire/golden eye and a normal flail is usually enough to break a unit.

Moose.

vodrake
23-01-2009, 14:36
skorpions are absolutely disgustingly fantastic, so take 3, although i suppose if your taking tomb guard you can only have 2 becuase carion are brilliant, a unit of 5 are a must to stick behind your enemies units so if they flee they die.

Dont know why that other guy thought scrolls were useless, they are the best magic item in the game as far as im concerned, its very rare you see an army without them. I would take 2, cloak on the hyrophant and give him a jar aswell.

Might be worth taking 3 priests with 2 catapults if your taking a lord on foot, 4 catapult shots a turn really hurt. Also staff of ravening is great for killing fast cav and fliers.

FatOlaf
23-01-2009, 14:51
catapults arent my favorite. i like bone giants better.

*Jaw hits floor*...................Umm really, why?

if you have the models, i would take tomb swarms rather than tomb scorpions.

Why would you do this, maybe take some as well as the Scorpions, being that swarms are core, best things to burrow to get war machines or to protect your own SSC's...

also i would make your 40 archers split up into a unit of 30 and a unit of 10. that way you can target your "smiting" spell on the 30 unit, and get more bang for your buck.

And smite what with a unit of 30, unless they are in one long line or in 2 rows of 15 on a hill, you are only going to get 5 shots off...

Much better to go with 2 units of 10 archers, for screens and a unit of 20 warriors with shield / HW to support the TG..

Can I ask the the poster who I have quoted, do you actually
a) Play Tomb Kings?
b) Win with them much?

Liche Priest - 115

The main problem I have with your list is the set up of your characters, TK with DoE seems great but is no where as effective as putting him on a chariot and giving him the flail of skulls, with his 2 MWBD's a turn, you can actually get somewhere, where as the prince will be at the enemy's mercy unless you flying priest plays catch up with him. If you really really want a TK and a TP, put the TP in the TG unit at the very least. And you must must give a LP the Jar, it can win you the game getting that one extra incant off.
Losing the DoE will free up some points and reduce the chariot unit that the King will go in to 3, 5 in total is far too unwieldly even for fast cav...

Good luck and let us see your finished list...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-01-2009, 14:57
take two catapults with skulls of the foe nothing will have your enemy running faster! Keep a priest with cloak of dunes near by to try to get magic shooting in the magic phase. Then when he is needed further up on the line he will be readily available. (keep him away from missilesthough. I think units of 4 chariots are a better idea. More hits, wounds, and unit strength which you want being scary and all. Remember they are fast cav (if there isnt a hero in one) that can allow for easy movement and maximizing of frontage once you are in his face. Good luck

CommanderMoose
23-01-2009, 16:21
Tomb King, Chariot, Flail of Skulls, Chariot of Fire, light armour - 288

Liche Priest, Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar - 160

Liche Priest, Staff of Ravening - 160

Tomb Prince, Collar of Shapesh, Great Weapon, Shield, light armor - 133

1x4 Chariots, Standard Banner, Musician - 190

1x3 Chariots, Standard Banner, Musician - 150

1x 20 Skeleton Warriors, bows musician - 165

1x20 Skeleton Warriors, swordsmen musician - 165

2 Scorpion - 170

4 Ushabti - 260

So first let me thank everyone for their comments, they have been very helpful.

The army list that I am shooting for now will be an anvil and hammer list, the skeletons and tomb guard holding with the Ushabti, Scorpions and Chariots being the hammer. I switched out the King to the Chariots to get a bigger bang from that unit. I also gave the Priest the Jar for that extra incantation and the other the staff.

Tomorrow I will practicing with both lists just to see which one I like playing with the most, though I am leaning toward this new one.

Thanks again for the help and any further comments would be helpful.

moose
23-01-2009, 16:23
Looks like a very nice finalised list, I might try this out in my next TK game!

Good luck!

CommanderMoose
24-01-2009, 22:20
Thanks for the help guys, I won my first battle today with this list aganist High Elves.

Nicha11
25-01-2009, 00:36
Yup looks like a strong list, good luck with it.