PDA

View Full Version : WoC Choices.. Knights or Giant? (and other thoughts)

Nerhesi
22-01-2009, 16:46
Advice...

2 Units of MoN Knights
OR
1 Unit of Knights + Giant with Mark of Slaanesh
OR
1 Unit of 6 Knights + Magic Standard + Hell Cannon

?

Sam W.

Neknoh
22-01-2009, 16:52
I would say it depends on your army in general, although, personally, I love the Hellcannon, as such, I would go for the third option.

Putty
22-01-2009, 18:19
1 unit of Nurgle Knights with Banner of Rage + 1 Hellcannon is my preferable choice.

Zal
22-01-2009, 18:37
Going to jump on the wagon here and say Knights of Khurgle and Hellcannon. I have used this combination a few times and it has worked well, the panic caused by the Hellcannon against horde armies is priceless and it can still do some serious damage against elite blocks of infantry.

bork da basher
22-01-2009, 21:39
im all for knights. best unit in the army by far. 2 units of knights for me.

Jericho
22-01-2009, 21:49
Knights are really solid, they might as well be 1+ in the army, you're crazy not to take them. I really like the Hellcannon personally. It's cheaper than the Slaanesh Giant, it's pretty damn tough to kill, and any shooting casualties you cause are just a bonus. Personally I find its combat abilities much more useful than the shooting ones, but that's just me.

W0lf
22-01-2009, 22:00
top one.

All chaos armies should have 2 units of knights imo.

GodlessM
22-01-2009, 22:58
I would say none. Take 2x5 Knights with the Mark of Khorne instead of any of those choices and you will be flying high.

W0lf
23-01-2009, 00:14
ofc but i assumed he wants a nurgle army.

Nerhesi
23-01-2009, 17:39
ofc but i assumed he wants a nurgle army.

Sometimes I like to turn my knights around and move them back 3.5 inches then turn them to face front again if I want one more turn of spell-casting

Nerhesi
23-01-2009, 17:39
not to mention the crazy -1 to hit from shooting and -1 ws that mon is awesome for.

W0lf
23-01-2009, 18:05
I didnt mean it as a negative.

Infact the only negative is that whenever chaos knights are mentioned immedatly people shout 'MoK!'. i agree thats the 'optimal' (subjective) way to utalise them but i also feel players should go with what they want.

similary its annoying when peoples 'advice' on army lists is just to post the list they use.

Angelust
23-01-2009, 23:04
Lol W0lf. True.

"You should use x, y, z, and aa with MoK. Which is, incidentally, the list I field every game."

LaevusLevusXIII
24-01-2009, 12:20
Personally, I run a list with 4x Knights with MoK and absolutely love it. So my vote goes for 2 units of knights.

As for the mark, Nurgle is just as good as Khorne, it just depends on how you want to play/paint/theme your army.

Whitesox
24-01-2009, 13:44
my pet hate at the moment is mixing gods... MoN and Banner of Rage are whats wrong with the new books...

Im a purist at heart

sroblin
24-01-2009, 16:17
The Banner of Rage, as designed, though, is only marginally useful for units that already have the mark of Khorne. Perhaps we should think of it as a marketing ploy by Khorne. "Want to frenzy, but unwilling to commit to the mark? Try our handy 20 pt banner, and you can have your bloodthirsty cake and eat it too. And if you just find yourself addicted to bouts of psychotic murder, we'll be happy to facilitate the full lifestyle transition at the tattoo parlor."

W0lf
24-01-2009, 18:50
I was anti-mixing.

But it makes the army far more competitive and dare i say it... fun?

Havock
24-01-2009, 19:00
The Banner of Rage, as designed, though, is only marginally useful for units that already have the mark of Khorne. Perhaps we should think of it as a marketing ploy by Khorne. "Want to frenzy, but unwilling to commit to the mark? Try our handy 20 pt banner, and you can have your bloodthirsty cake and eat it too. And if you just find yourself addicted to bouts of psychotic murder, we'll be happy to facilitate the full lifestyle transition at the tattoo parlor."

"Are YOU too bored with unexciting combat?"
-Yeah...
"Are you stuck to other deities who do not allow you to 'all the way'?
-YEAH!
"Try the new raptu*announcer gets horribly maimed by huge dude in red armor* BANNER OF RAGE, IT WILL MAKE ALL YOUR FIGHTS BETTER FOREVER, BUY THIS **** NOW OR I'LL RIP YOU ****WRANGLING SLAANESH***** A NEW ***HOLE!

*Camera impaled with banner pole, goes static*

I think no khorne-commercial can be devoid of violence.:p

decker_cky
24-01-2009, 20:13
"And that's not all! Buy it now and we'll make it so you can't lose your frenzy. Never again will you lose a combat and autobreak due to those bad rolls."

Nerhesi
27-01-2009, 17:49
Wait - never losing frenzy doesn't make them immune to psych or anything right?

It's just... never losing frenzy. They still have to roll snake-eyes if they are outnumbered by terror causers right?

pcgamer72
27-01-2009, 18:09
Wait - never losing frenzy doesn't make them immune to psych or anything right?

It's just... never losing frenzy. They still have to roll snake-eyes if they are outnumbered by terror causers right?

Being frenzied also means that you are ItP as long as you have your frenzy.

GuyLeCheval
27-01-2009, 18:25
Ah, I begin to like this thread...

MarcoPollo
27-01-2009, 21:37
I would choose Giant ASF and MoK horsemen with flails to round out your points.

Djekar
28-01-2009, 06:12
Note that ItP does not make you immune to things like stupidity - were you interested in putting the Helm of Many Eyes on the champion of a khornate chosen unit with great weapons... not that I've tried or anything... :(

~Raccoon

The Red Scourge
28-01-2009, 06:21
Personally, I run a list with 4x Knights with MoK and absolutely love it. So my vote goes for 2 units of knights

Luckily my opponents know how to handle frenzy, so I got to be a little more creative than this :)

Latro
28-01-2009, 06:31
I was anti-mixing.

But it makes the army far more competitive and dare i say it... fun?

Heretic!

:cool:

acsmedic
01-02-2009, 13:25
MOK on 2 units of knights only work when well supported by screening troops (hounds and marauder cav) Otherwise you get baited and cry as your expensive Knights get rolled from a flank charge. If you only play unskilled folks then disregard and roll on the MOK

Cobrak
01-02-2009, 20:21
Ok might as well put up my two cents.

If your going to go with knights might as well work in 2 units as one (thou very impressive as it can be) just isn't enough in any game over 2k also MoN is good yes but agianst shooting the only thing it effects that matters are Bolt Throwers( which already need 4+ to hit anyway untill close range ((when the should be killed)))
and with WS-5 the -1ws to enemies is really only good against characters where again not much help there ( as the ones you will be in combat with will still be a higher ws and the other ones had a lower ws to start with.
and the only real reason to frenzy anything is to make it ITP (as +1 attacks is useful yes just not as useful as ITP)(plus it is always sad to see a unit stuck in a forest because it had LOS to a unit hiding there)

as for Giants they really are cool and all but even with ASF it just doesn't seem right to watch 265 pts fall over and get crushed in CC

and as for the Hellcannon i like it and agree the shooting kills are just a bonus after all it is really just a rock lobbing monster and as such should be taken when you can( not to mention it is quite funny to see a VC army start to crumble because YOU MISFIRED)

there you have it my three cents

Nerhesi
02-02-2009, 15:29
Tried the giant for a few games.

He draws fire amazingly well!

At one game, he took a bolt thrower and some skinks shots in the face - combined with stand and shoot (they were mounted on a steggy), it amounted to 5 wounds...

he made it in, and chomped, getting 3 wounds back (so I was a bit lucky there)...

I am beginning to agree with you folks though - toughness 6, 4+ armor save would be preferable I think - which would also allow for 5-6 Khurgle Knights.

Sam W.

pkain762
03-02-2009, 04:00
i'd go with one unit of knights and a slanesh giant... hellcannon can be unreliable..... plus an ASF giant is awesome....

kain

ChaosVC
03-02-2009, 05:13
A unit of 5 knights is going to cost me a bomb, let alone 2 units of them...
Hell cannon sounds sweet, they can use to charge skirmishers that there ran behind my advancing line and in the process get into the thick of battle or blast some deathstar to hell. Got to love the Hell cannon.

Chaos Lord supervising the hell cannon crew: "Becareful with my baby!"