PDA

View Full Version : Need some help in choosing new armies

KTG
22-01-2009, 18:16
Hi, I recently picked up Battle for Skull Pass. I am not an big gamer anymore, and will probably not expand on the Dwarf and Goblin armies it comes with. I'll just play quick little games if I ever play at all.

What I would like to do though, is expand on some other armies, and only building them in size that is comparable to the total point cost for the Dwarves and Goblins. I don't have any of the Armies books, not even for what comes in the battle box, so I don't have an idea what I can get.

So I was wondering if a few of you could post some units that would make up a comparable sized force with your favorite armies, and maybe I'll pick one and go from there. I know this seems silly as Warhammer is played with much larger armies, but I am not intersested in building a lot.

I don't know how many points the Dwarf army is in the box, but lets say if it was 500 points, or whatever, use that as a guide and tell me what you would choose for your army. And balanced too. Like at least one shooty unit as opposed to all close combat units. You don't have to post the point values as I know that is frowned upon.

Many thanks for your help!

KTG
22-01-2009, 18:28
And does anyone know the purpose of the Pony Cart?!?!? I haven't found any rules for it in the starter book and have no idea if it is an objective or something. Same with the tied up Troll Slayer.

grahknar
22-01-2009, 18:44
You can download the border patrol rules as a pdf from GW. Just google it, all games are played with up to 500pts of troops and it's great for people that don't want to collect huge armies. To create a playable army though you would need access to the army books, ask around at your local store I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to help out.

KTG
22-01-2009, 18:54
Okay, that's great. I think that is the kind of games/armies I want to build. But I still would like to know how some of you would build some armies to play a game like this.

The Red Scourge
23-01-2009, 14:49
Choose an army that appeals to you, and makes you want to paint it.

Then get an army book and some troops, paint and play :)

Harwammer
23-01-2009, 15:41
Choose an army that appeals to you, and makes you want to play it.

Then get an army book and some troops, paint and play :)

siphon101
23-01-2009, 15:46
Yeah, it really depends on what style you want to go with. Magic? Shooting? heavy combat? Multiple quick and deadly but vulnerable units?

Tell us how you imagine playing, and we can tell you what armies suit that.

KTG
23-01-2009, 16:42
I think everyone is mis-understanding what I am looking for. I just got off the phone with GW and the phone rep said that the Goblin army in the box set would cost about 600-700 points to field.

So, what I am looking for, is if you were to field an army of YOUR CHOICE for 600-700 points to fight against the Dwarves or Goblins from Skull Pass, what would you field.

I am just interested in the make up of the armies that experienced players would choose. Then I'll consider what I'll get into based on what looks interesting. I dont want to buy 10 Army books, etc. And spend all this time researching. I know I like Empire, Khorne, and a few others, but if you would field a 600-700 point Bretonnian force for example, please post what units you would include. I just want to see some example army lists.

Brimweave
23-01-2009, 17:09
And does anyone know the purpose of the Pony Cart?!?!? I haven't found any rules for it in the starter book and have no idea if it is an objective or something. Same with the tied up Troll Slayer.

The grudge pony and the tied up troll slayer are just scenic pieces used to make the game look prettier and such like the Wall and Totem thing. Just count them as scenery or use them as objectives ingame and such.

I personally loved my grudge pony and made it into a awesome scenic piece :D

Neckutter
23-01-2009, 17:48
wood elves are fun to do at a low points level. plus they are extremely strong in an all around environment.

siphon101
23-01-2009, 17:52
I think everyone is mis-understanding what I am looking for. I just got off the phone with GW and the phone rep said that the Goblin army in the box set would cost about 600-700 points to field.

So, what I am looking for, is if you were to field an army of YOUR CHOICE for 600-700 points to fight against the Dwarves or Goblins from Skull Pass, what would you field.

I am just interested in the make up of the armies that experienced players would choose. Then I'll consider what I'll get into based on what looks interesting. I dont want to buy 10 Army books, etc. And spend all this time researching. I know I like Empire, Khorne, and a few others, but if you would field a 600-700 point Bretonnian force for example, please post what units you would include. I just want to see some example army lists.

Ahh I see. in 600-700 points, given that magic items would be very uncommon, I'd probably bring some wraiths or spirit hosts, given that their etherial nature would make them far harder to kill in lower points games.

isidril93
23-01-2009, 20:11
high elves

noble
unit of archers
swordmasters
shadow warriors

E101beta
23-01-2009, 21:55
Lizardmen:

Scar-Veteran

Skinks Skirmishers [Core]
Salamanders (1-3)[Rare]
3 Kroxigors

I'd say Saurus Warriors too, but 500 points with Lizardmen goes fast.