PDA

View Full Version : How to beat gnoblars? (Or ranther an army of them...)

Malorian
22-01-2009, 19:22
Ok, so I have two tournaments coming up and in both there will be a player using the special gnoblar horde from the white dwarf.

At first I thought it was a garbage army and when he asked if he could bring it to the next tournament (I'm running it) I almost had to hold in a laugh when I answered him.

But now he has gotten in a few games and seems to be creaming everyone. Even the local deamon player fell to the might of gnoblars.

I read through Avian's site and I see that luck gits might be hard to take out, and since they ignore each others panic it's not like I'm going to be setting off an army wipe crash.

Have any of you had any experience against this list? What should I look out for and what should be my main battle plan?

AramilSairSianontel
22-01-2009, 19:48
First of all you should say what army you plan to use...but still losing from gnoblars seems rather sad...

blackjack
22-01-2009, 19:54
I have to say I played really badly against the Gnoblars. However the other Deamon player routed him when he got a unit of Juggers on a flank and just charged through.

The hard part are the lucky gits. MR2, 6+ ward, Reroll EVERYTHING for 6pts makes them damn hard to deal with.

The big disadvantage is that his army is so big it has to fill his dep zone. You can farily effectively offer a denied flank and there is not much he can do about it as he has to deploy across his table edge just to make it all fit.

Also killing the enemy general reduces his troop leadership by 2. I belive the average leadership for troops is 5....

Lastly area effect weapons like rock lobers litteraly can't miss. (this is one army against which the new salamanders would rock!)

Count de Monet
22-01-2009, 20:06
The easiest way to beat a Gnoblar army is to require them to be painted and based. ;)

BigRob
22-01-2009, 20:07
The thing with the Gnoblar list is that bar a couple of things, there is no punch to it, just rank after rank of small, squishable green gribblies.

Missile fire will thin the horde, even lucky gits. A 6+ ward isn't all that great and heavy firepower will break units. More powerful fire will crush honchos on rhinox/scraplauncer and anything with templates like mortars, stonethrowers or flamecannons will rule the battlefield.

Magic will also thin the horde, I dont think they have any magic to speak of apart form a few magical trinkets that offer a one off defence, so magic heavy armies can zap them to death.

Armour will save you, they have little in the way of high strength or AS modifiers so heavy cavalry will trample them and laugh off any return attacks or thrown sharp stuff.

Gnoblars have poor LD. Lets wheel out the terror causing monsters.

They are more of a joke army than anything else.

Malorian
22-01-2009, 20:11
First of all you should say what army you plan to use...but still losing from gnoblars seems rather sad...

I'll be using horde orcs in both battles.

Basically my plan was just to rush up and start breaking as many units as I can, but I was wondering if they have some crazy items or tricks that I should worry about.

Lexy
22-01-2009, 20:24
WEll, he'll be packing the deployment zone more then you.
So make your units wider then the normal 5 wide.
Charge two units at the same time and if you can't then you overrun in the next unit.
you just need all the combats you can get.

stone throwers are great too.
psychology tests is the way to go.
giants, wyvern make great terror tests (and give multiple tests per fase)

Drakcore Bloodtear
22-01-2009, 20:54
Warning almost all of them have a missle weapon (sharp stuff)

blackjack
22-01-2009, 20:58
Big Rob, keep in mind that's a rerollable 6+ (so more like a 5+) plus rerollable regular armor and rerollable LD (can pick and choose which of the two dice, or both, to reroll).
Plus a d6 free rerolls for the army as a whole.

Count de Monet
22-01-2009, 21:12
If they are packed super tight, I'd laugh my keister off if you could run off one or two of the flank units, then pop a NG unit with 3 fanatics and madcap mushrooms into the gap, releasing the fanatics in his side to merrily bounce through the rest of his army for 3d6 hits per unit with rerolls. :evilgrin: Sure, they can absorb the damage pretty well but might see some of them off, and would just be a glorious thing to behold. :D

AramilSairSianontel
22-01-2009, 21:43
WEll, he'll be packing the deployment zone more then you.
So make your units wider then the normal 5 wide.
Charge two units at the same time and if you can't then you overrun in the next unit.
you just need all the combats you can get.

stone throwers are great too.
psychology tests is the way to go.
giants, wyvern make great terror tests (and give multiple tests per fase)

I'll second that.
I don't know about wyverns or giants though. I mean you don't want just to
win the gnoblars and lose all other battles because of opponents' missile powers.
I don't think you should worry that much though. They mustn't have any missile troops so lots of orcs with two choppas should do the trick...

Arguleon-veq
22-01-2009, 21:48
There is nothing to really worry about, as has been said though I would deploy my units a little wider to ensure that you dont get flanked too easily, other than that you should just roll through them.

solvay
22-01-2009, 21:49
a unit of goblins with fanatics launched at an angle could devestate a closely packed gnoblar army if they bounce through almost every unit... and his missile weapons are only 8" range aswell so it should be easy getting there

also panic checks will be key like with goblin armies... except these gnoblars are squishier

E101beta
22-01-2009, 22:08
Terror Causers hands down! :evilgrin:

And if you lack them, there's one or two spells in the BRB you can start planting on standard fear causers to cause terror! Make a unit of flyers cause terror, and you have a recipe for a very fun mop-up operation. [At least for you, anyway]

Captain Plowman
23-01-2009, 01:38
the real nifty thing about gnoblars is they dont cause panic. this means you have to break each and every single unit, one at a time. also, if you fail a charge, you're up struggle street. sure, str 2 shots arent much to worry about, but when there are 60+ coming your way, then you start to worry. My advice: hit really hard on one flank, leaving the rest of his army with nothing to fight. then roll up said flank, belting one unit before overrunning into the next.

Capt. Jack
23-01-2009, 03:09
Use a squig herd suicide unit. Run it up the middle in a very threatening manner then start laughing when your squigs run wild in the middle of his army. Ok, it might not be the most effective thing ever but would be loads of fun.

BigRob
23-01-2009, 08:21
the real nifty thing about gnoblars is they dont cause panic. this means you have to break each and every single unit, one at a time. also, if you fail a charge, you're up struggle street. sure, str 2 shots arent much to worry about, but when there are 60+ coming your way, then you start to worry. My advice: hit really hard on one flank, leaving the rest of his army with nothing to fight. then roll up said flank, belting one unit before overrunning into the next.

Do multiple shots still suffer the extra -1 to hit. Sharp stuff isn't that much of a problem, only the front rank can throw them like any other missile weapon.

Lucky gits are special choices and one of the more expensive units in the list. Rerollable 6+ ward save still is not that great. A couple of rounds of shooting will help you out there. Just about anything with a template will destroy them.

Finally, make sure they are taking their Bicker test for each unit at the start of each turn. Nothing better than watching the front units fail and box the whole army in for another round of shooting gallery. They do have alot of MR items and cheap 2/1 heroes to carry them, but its nothing to worry about.

Braad
23-01-2009, 08:55
I say: characters in chariots! Give them weapons that grant a lot of attacks.
1 chariot with character and one loose chariot should be able te break any such unit from combat.

If you play orcs: savage boar boyz! No panic checks against that sharp stuff, and they hit hard enough to punch right through.

Massed troops. You both got them, but yours are better (well... usually). Just be carefull to not be flanked during combat. The 'denied flank'-tactic is quite nice here.

I think a key thing here is charging and wiping out in one go, so that the other units cannot flank you in their turn.

Condottiere
23-01-2009, 09:03
I would have said a strong breeze, but anything that can cause wide damage, whether magic, combat and/or war machines should allow you to control the field.

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2009, 10:57
Use a squig herd suicide unit. Run it up the middle in a very threatening manner then start laughing when your squigs run wild in the middle of his army. Ok, it might not be the most effective thing ever but would be loads of fun.

That doesn't apply anymore. Old rules. In new book squig herds that go wild just do damage, and dissapear.

Quetzl
23-01-2009, 11:48
I'd say Wyvern with Lord, slap him behind there battle line and watch them all dissapear.

aforce808
23-01-2009, 11:54
This topic is awesome :-)