PDA

View Full Version : need help with costing my true scale marines

Daredhnu
22-01-2009, 19:36
hi guys i'm busy writing rules for true scale marines based slightly on the "movie marines" but i need help in costing them properly.
basically what you will be fielding is a tactical squad of sorts as your army.

here are the stats i have come up with, i'd just like to hear what you guys think would be a good pts cost for them.

HQ - Veteran Sergeant ?200?pts
ws-6 / bs-6 / s-5 / t-5 / w-3 / i-5 / a-4 / ld-10 / sv-3+5++
bolt pistol, chainsword, frag & krak grenades
- replace bolt pistol with plasma pistol +25pts?
- replace chainsword with power sword +25pts?
- replace chainsword with power fist +50pts?

E - Space Marine (special) ?100?pts
ws-5 / bs-5 / s-5 / t-5 / w-2 / i-5 / a-3 / ld-9 / sv-3+5++
bolt pistol, boltgun, frag & krak grenades
- replace boltgun with flamer +20pts?
- replace boltgun with meltagun +30pts?
- replace boltgun with plasma gun +50pts?

T - Space Marine ?100?pts

HS - Space Marine (heavy) ?100?pts
- replace boltgun with heavy bolter +50pts?
- replace boltgun with missile launcher +100pts?
- replace boltgun with lascannon +130pts?

FA - Rhino ?120?pts
bs-5 / f-12 / s-12 / r-11
storm bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight
- storm bolter +20pts?

FA - Razorback ?160?pts
bs-5 / f-12 / s-12 / r-11
twin-linked heavy bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight
- replace twin-linked heavy bolter with twin-linked lascannon +100pts?
- storm bolter +20pts?

Bolt Pistol 18" / 5 / 4 / assault 2
Plasma Pistol 18" / 9 / 2 / assault 2
Boltgun 36" / 5 / 4 / assault 4
Flamer template / 5 / 4 / assault 1, apocalypse template
Meltagun 18" / 10 / 1 / assault 2, melta
Plasma Gun 36" / 9 / 2 / assault 4, gets hot
Storm Bolter 36" / 5 / 4 / assault 4, twin-linked
Heavy Bolter 54" / 6 / 3 / heavy 6
Missile Launcher frag 72" / 5 / 4 / heavy 1, large blast
Missile Launcher krak 72" / 10 / 2 / heavy 1
Lascannon 72" / 10 / 1 / heavy 1, melta
Frag Grenade 8" / 5 / 4 / assault 1, large blast
Krak Grenade 8" / 10 / 2 / assault 1

Chainsword - rending
Power Sword - ignores saves
Power Fist - ignores saves, doubles str

the following special rules apply to all models.
Counter-Attack, Eternal Warrior, Fleet, Hit & Run, Move Through Cover, Night Vision, Relentless, Stubborn, And They Shall Know No Fear, Combat Tactics

point costs are rough estimates at the moment, i'd appreciate any and all advice you could give.

Pink Horror
22-01-2009, 20:44
Those rules are just ridiculous. How is it "true-scale" for a marine-carried flamer to cover the same area as a flamer on a super-heavy tank? You puffed-up marines like they are the only troops to ever get that treatment. Is there no fluff out there that describes a Warboss tearing apart marines?

Daredhnu
22-01-2009, 20:46
sure there is and orks definately deserve the same treatment, i'm just not doing it.

Pink Horror
22-01-2009, 21:11
sure there is and orks definately deserve the same treatment, i'm just not doing it.

One problem: everything else in the game is scaled as it is. If the marines become "true-scale", they are not really the right scale if you have to fix Orks, too. And Eldar are described pretty glowingly. Lasguns seem to rip apart anything they shoot in the stories. Necrons just don't die. Tyranids are an unstoppable wave. Etc, etc. Eventually, everything will just have a 10 as its stat, and you'll have to rewrite the main rules so all of the stats can be higher... or, you can make your marine just the right strength against his most common enemies, such as the Orks, and not rewrite the whole game.

If you want point-costs, that marine has a S10 weapon, more toughness than a light tank, a long range infantry shredder, and almost every useful special rule in the book. I would want a whole guard platoon if I had to fight him. Isn't that the way the quote goes? One real marine is worth 100 guardsmen? Well, that guy seems to fit, and a guardsman is worth 6 points. So, 600 points each.

aenarion67
23-01-2009, 10:28
well to be honest, u might as well use the rules for movie marines. maybe cause there much cooler,

CthulhuDalek
25-01-2009, 05:29
One problem: everything else in the game is scaled as it is. If the marines become "true-scale", they are not really the right scale if you have to fix Orks, too. And Eldar are described pretty glowingly. Lasguns seem to rip apart anything they shoot in the stories. Necrons just don't die. Tyranids are an unstoppable wave. Etc, etc. Eventually, everything will just have a 10 as its stat, and you'll have to rewrite the main rules so all of the stats can be higher... or, you can make your marine just the right strength against his most common enemies, such as the Orks, and not rewrite the whole game.

If you want point-costs, that marine has a S10 weapon, more toughness than a light tank, a long range infantry shredder, and almost every useful special rule in the book. I would want a whole guard platoon if I had to fight him. Isn't that the way the quote goes? One real marine is worth 100 guardsmen? Well, that guy seems to fit, and a guardsman is worth 6 points. So, 600 points each.

It'd be interesting to do a "true scale" 40k on a d10 system...

ahaha. Though no one would ever play anything except for marines(YAY I only need to play with ten models...)