PDA

View Full Version : My problem...

dragonlancr
22-01-2009, 23:20
So I have a problem. I started playing WFB a few months ago after taking a 10 year break. Prior to starting up again, I spend a ridiculous amount of time on each rank and file guy and I was very happy with how my army was looking.

A few months ago, I started playing with friends and getting involved in a gaming group, and I really developed a strong desire to just finish the army.

However, when I look at my guys up close or inspect them heavily, they aren't painted that great and it bugs the hell out of me. It's weird, because, when I take my time I can literally paint something that most people would be really proud of. I mean, I know I can paint.

The problem is I am getting sick of painting and each night I sit down I dread it; I'm ready to get it over with. But on the same token I get depressed because I know the guys *could* look better.

Anyone have this problem? Have some good advice? :cries:

Solasun
22-01-2009, 23:32
Do the "reward" system, for every 5/10/15 rank and file troopers you do to an "ok" "gaming" standard, paint yourself up a special character/champion/standard bearer where you can let your skill show?

Blocks of troops tend to work best as masses of colour with stand outs.

dragonlancr
22-01-2009, 23:38

That idea is awesome.

I mean really, I love that idea.

Thank you. :)

Draconian77
22-01-2009, 23:40
I go through the same thing...

My advise is to paint the front rank of a rank and file unit very well and maybe the side and rear models too.(Assuming you always rank them up in the same sequence) and then sort of "fudge" the central models. Now, after you have finsished your army you can go back and touch up those models but for the purposes of playing with a fully painted army I find this system to be helpful.

If you want to make your models look better with little effort then an elaborate basing job should do the trick. A simple rock or shrub can make the difference between "good enough" and "perfect".

W0lf
23-01-2009, 00:08
I dont paint personally (detest it and its an optional leisure activity) but my best mate paints alot, to a high standard and he loves it.

What he does as motivation is for every R'N'F unit he paints he does ether a character or buys a single 40K model (like them more) to paint up.

SuperArchMegalon
23-01-2009, 01:09
Be careful with that reward system! I did the same thing, it started off okay, but one day I decided to make my "reward" a model from a different army! Suddenly I have 2 armies. Next batch of rewards? Some 40k models, cool!

You see where it's going. I like to do that too, though: 10 crossbowmen done? Thane time.

Stuffburger
23-01-2009, 02:06
If you have a friend who also paints at about the same standard as you, you can swap units for a complete change of style. As a break after every 10 r&f dudes I do I usually grab one of my buddies models and show them how it's done. Every now and then I get to kill an absolutely gorgeous elven standard bearer that I painted, or a couple dwarves... just paint a variety somehow to avoid boredom from painting the same set of boots 30 times.

I also jump around units a lot- 5 orc boyz, then half a spear chukka, then some converting,then 10 goblins, then a character... keep it fresh.

My friend is experimenting with different basing types for each unit- snowy thunderers, underground miners, hammerers on rocks, etc. As you will be able to see in my plog once I finally get enough progress to show one trick is vastly differently themed units- pink armored orcs, yellow goblins, purple and gold black orcs- tricks me into thinking they're more different than they are.

ChaosVC
23-01-2009, 02:53
I have the same problem, what I do is try not to think about it, go to the other unpainted models and try to do my best, when I have time, I will go back to those model again and spray them black for repainting. This way you don't need to spend more money on new smiliar units and challenge yourself to do a better job.:)

DigbyWeapon
23-01-2009, 03:34
Well, I am now running a fantasy and 40k army, so when i get bored of High Elves, I'll paint up some Incubi.

+ I have all different little bits and pieces hanging around, so I can always just move about. Sometimes I just buy cool characters to have fun with.

Drayken
23-01-2009, 03:55
Separate your army and units into small, manageable groups of miniatures, 5 or 6 rank and file soldiers at most. For each group of miniature you finish, move on to a different group, like a few cavalry models, a monster or a character. If you split it nicely, you'll never get bored, cuz you'll always be painting something different.

Maskedman5oh4
23-01-2009, 04:06
I have realized in my time painting that if I am not in the 'mood' I paint worse than if I am really feeling it. So I don't paint unless I am really into it. Also, this may not be in the spirit of finishing something specific, I have 3-4 squads/models that I am working on at one time and I switch back and forth; helps with boredom/frustration.

And by different project I mean different genres; right now I am working on completing 10 Chaos Hounds, a Hive Tyrant and a Chaos Chariot.

E101beta
23-01-2009, 04:33
I've been having that problem too. A battalion box of Tomb Kings gets old fast, really fast. I realyl hadn't had the motivation to sit down and paint, and I noticed my friends who play weren't getting far either. So, I set up several desks in my basement, and invited them over for a social, hang out, paint, do whatever, I find when you're talking with other people, you're more productive rather than huddled over a desk trying to dry brush the underside of some poor skellies arm.

I'm actually going to try and do another one of those tommorow. :)

The Clairvoyant
23-01-2009, 07:36
painting with a friend is a great way to get through it. I haven't done it for a while now, but just having someone to talk to whilst painting is great. I tried talking to the wife while painting but she tells me to shut up as i'm interrupting her tv programme.

ChaosVC
23-01-2009, 07:50
painting with a friend is a great way to get through it. I haven't done it for a while now, but just having someone to talk to whilst painting is great. I tried talking to the wife while painting but she tells me to shut up as i'm interrupting her tv programme.

Strongly encourage!!!

kuriad
23-01-2009, 07:55
I started playing WHFB 6 years ago. However, I never painted as I hated it.

Anyway, I wanted to attend tourneys which required painted armies. What did I do?

1) Put on a movie that you have already watched multiple times
2) Start painting and just listening to the movie at the same time
3) Paint a unit at a time.
4) I paint all my core 1st, that way I do the 80/20 rule where the majority of my army gets finished. This also allows me to refine my techniques prior to painting centerpiece models
5) When the majority of my army is painted, I feel more drive to paint as the army nears completion.

Following these few rules I now have 3000pt TK fully painted and 2500 HE fully painted.

snurl
23-01-2009, 08:16
Relax, you will eventually get your army done.
Sometimes you need to take a break from it until inspiration hits you.

I usually paint up a movement tray when I start a new regiment. As I finish figures I put them in it, with the goal being to fill it. Then again, I only game with painted figures, which can also be a motivator to getting units completed.

The rewards system is great.

mrtn
23-01-2009, 10:51
Separate your army and units into small, manageable groups of miniatures, 5 or 6 rank and file soldiers at most. For each group of miniature you finish, move on to a different group, like a few cavalry models, a monster or a character. If you split it nicely, you'll never get bored, cuz you'll always be painting something different.

I do the same. At the moment I'm painting three chaos knights and two rat swarms. I also have ten BfSP goblins (aka skaven slaves) that mostly stand there, and I use them for any paint that's left over.

moose
23-01-2009, 11:44
I started playing WHFB 6 years ago. However, I never painted as I hated it.

Anyway, I wanted to attend tourneys which required painted armies. What did I do?

1) Put on a movie that you have already watched multiple times
2) Start painting and just listening to the movie at the same time
3) Paint a unit at a time.
4) I paint all my core 1st, that way I do the 80/20 rule where the majority of my army gets finished. This also allows me to refine my techniques prior to painting centerpiece models
5) When the majority of my army is painted, I feel more drive to paint as the army nears completion.

Following these few rules I now have 3000pt TK fully painted and 2500 HE fully painted.

QFT! Watching films works best when you've seen it twenty times, so you only need to listen and glance up occasionaly. My painting films are; all three lord of the rings, negotiator, swordfish, snatch, enemy of the state and all the scrubs/greys anatomy's.

My method is;
1. spray then base coat all the core so theyre game worthy
2. paint up and flock the bases of everything else
3. come back to the core after to finish, or when bored during 2!

jpf1982
23-01-2009, 14:21
I feel your pain. The only way I can get myself to paint is by force of will. I hate painting; my back isn't what it used to be and I never seem to have time except when I should be in bed sleeping. Best way I've found is to give yourself a deadline you can't avoid. I'm taking my Dwarf army to Adepticon and MWR. This means that I have to have my list painted before A-Con in April. 3 months... Yup better get moving! :)

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2009, 14:32
Paint with music. That always helps.

W0lf
23-01-2009, 14:36
Another good way is to get all your models out of your case and put them on display. This way you will find it easy to just pick up models and paint, you will also be inspired to paint more by seeing the models out all the time.

Oh and this is especially good if you dont want the models out or you partner (if applicable) moans at you for it as its added motivation :P

Nuada
23-01-2009, 15:11
I hate painting as well, but I have finished painting everything now. (for WHFB 13,000 O&G and 5,000 WEs)

My secret was to paint with a friend, and try to paint one model a day.
I made a list of every model i had to paint and worked out my deadline if i painted one a day.

Some days i painted 6 rank and file models, and sometimes it took me 2 days to paint a character. It gave me an extra incentive when i was behind schedule.
It might scare you when you see how much work you have to do, but it helped me alot.

Necromancer2
23-01-2009, 16:37
take the time to paint the first rank really well Maybe even the second rank.... cheap out on the rest of the unit. Saved my health with Skaven years ago. Can't wait to start them up again.

Harry
23-01-2009, 18:47
Check out my plog.

Join the Tale of fantasy painters.

:D :D :D

I spent a long time not painting anything because I was not happy with the results.
Seems once I started painting stuff .... I started getting better.

I found starting a Plog and the encouragement of the great community over in Painting and modeling made a huge difference.