PDA

View Full Version : First try at the new VC, Strigoi flavoured

Makarion
23-01-2009, 07:29
Hello folks,

Here's my first try at the new Vampire Counts. In the prior edition I played a more Lahmian-flavoured army, so here's something new for me to learn. I'd be grateful for constructive criticism, especially regarding the magic phase. I've got the feeling I should swap out a Wight King for another vampire (I don't want a necromancer or corpse cart, due to flavour), and perhaps get rid of the Cairn Wraiths for more ghouls (but I've got such neat modelling done for them...).

[2,250 points exactly]

Vampire Lord [450]
+1 magic level
Summon ghouls, Ghoulkin, Walking Death, Forbidden Lore
Black Periapt, Nightshroud, Crown of the Damned, Dispel Scroll

{Main caster and battle line support, with decent protection. I considered the Helmet, but I don't think I want to keep him out of melee all that hard. Forbidden Lore is there to make sure I can deal with emergencies, e.g. Lore of Beasts versus Bretonnians, etc}

{Goes with first ghoul unit}

Vampire [200]
Talisman of the Lycni, Flayed Hauberk, Sword of Might
Supernatural Horror, Infinite Hatred

{Goes with Dire wolves}

Wight King [120]
Skeletal Steed with Barding
Sword of Kings

{Goes with first BK unit}

Wight King [95]
Skeletal Steed with Barding

{Goes with second BK unit}

14 Crypt Ghouls [120]
Crypt Ghast

15 Crypt Ghouls [120]

15 Crypt Ghouls [120]

7 Dire Wolves [56]

5 Black Knights [215]
Barding. Standard, champion
Royal Standard of Strigos

{They feel very expensive for their lack of wounds or ward saves, to be honest. Wish I had the points for a musician}

5 Black Knights [225]
Barding. Standard, champion
Banner of the Barrows

1 Varghulf [175]

3 Cairn Wraiths [175]
Tomb Banshee

PD: 6
DD: 5, 1 scroll

Looking forward to constructive critique.

Hospitaler
23-01-2009, 12:26
Drop the second wight lord, he really does nothing (and think about making the other one a BSB - the single wound you save can be vital).

And i find that the Vargulhf and Cairn Wraiths have simialr roles, so you can drop one if you need to.

Then it depends on what you want to do, another Vamp for magic support is useful, esp. with helm of commandment. To save points you could strip one of the Black knights units to just have a musician, then you can do a straight swap of wight king for caster vamp.

As long as you raise up the ghouls nice and large you should have enough troops - a second summon ghouls might be good but is not necessary if you want to play around with some of the cooler bloodline powers :)