PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Empire Wissenland

maze ironheart
23-01-2009, 10:49
Hi I've been playing empire since I started warhammer which was 9 years ago and I've been mostly paying attention to my other armys and feel that I need to do some work on my Empire army.I really would be greatful if other empire players could help me I need to see if the following list is good or if it needs a bit of tweeking.

(Lord Choice)

1-Arch lector with great weapon and Van horstmann's speculum and armor of meteoric iron and sigil of sigmar.201pt's
(Hero Choice)

1-Battle wizard with LV2 upgrade and the rod of power.130pt's

1-Battle wizard with LV2 upgrade with despell scroll and ring of volans.145pts

(Core Choice)

24-Swordsmen with fullcommand169pt's

10-Swordsmen Detachment.60pt's

20-Flagellant warband with prophet of DOOM.210pt's

10-Handgunners.80pt's

6-Empire knights with standard bearer and musicain with the banner of arcane warding.192pt's

(Special Choice)

19-Greatswords with fullcommand with warbanner.245pt's

1-Great Cannon.100pt's

1-Great cannon.100pts

5-Outriders.105pt's

Totol-1957pt's

So how is this is it good or dose it need some work..

maze ironheart
23-01-2009, 19:03
Should I take it theirs nothing wrong.

prophet_izaak
24-01-2009, 12:31
Well it depends a lot on your proposed style of play, and who you are going to come up against. I take it you play with a magic heavy sort of bunch given that you seem to want extra magic resistance.

One quick point – I use Flagellants as a sacrificial unit i.e. they are there to die. They are expensive at 10 points each, especially given they are only WS 2, so if you are using them because they are unbreakable to block an enemy unit then you probably don’t need 20 as 15 will tie down most enemies for at least two or three rounds of combat.

Also handguns are overrated I like to take Huntsmen as scouting skirmishers (which only cost an extra 2pts each) offer a much wider range of tactical possibilities.

maze ironheart
24-01-2009, 14:25
Was thinking on reducing the flagellants as long as they can hold I usually face 2 daemon players and they have over 10 yes 10 power dice and the following Wood elves/Brettonnians/Skaven/Vampires/Chaos/Dark elves.I really wanted to make a balanced list that dose not get blasted by magic as 1 daemon player the manager has 19 power dice.I already have a dwarf gunline and a lizardmen army which I plan to make combat and magic heavy and a combat O&G army.

maze ironheart
25-01-2009, 09:04
Would it be a good idea to drop the flagellants and try and get some points for a steam tank.

maze ironheart
25-01-2009, 17:52
So just reduce the flagellants that should free up a few points them only costing only 150pts minus 5 of them and the prophet of doom.Now I have 103pts spare So should I use them to get another warmachine like the hel storm or should I invest in a hero or BSB.

prophet_izaak
25-01-2009, 19:20
Just a quick thought how about putting the arch lector on a war altar with van horstmann's speculum and giving your demon friends a nasty greater deamon killing surprise.

maze ironheart
26-01-2009, 12:49
Just a quick thought how about putting the arch lector on a war altar with van horstmann's speculum and giving your demon friends a nasty greater deamon killing surprise.

I just need to ask this cause if keeps coming up every one says try a war alter but is it effective enough to use in a battle I just would not want to waste the money on something that would be useless has it done other empire players any good.

maze ironheart
26-01-2009, 13:25
Ok had some thoughts on the war alter so here it is.

(Lord Choice)

1-Arch lector with great weapon and a war alter and Van horstmann's speculum and armor of meteoric iron.286pt's

(Hero Choice)

1-Battle wizard with LV2 upgrade with despell scroll and ring of volans.145pts

(Core Choice)

10-Handgunners.80pt's

15-flagellants.150pts

6-Empire knights with standard bearer and musicain with the banner of arcane warding.192pt's

(Special Choice)

20-Greatswords with fullcommand.230pt's

1-Great Cannon.100pt's

1-Great cannon.100pts

5-Outriders.105pt's

Totol-1976pt's

Ok so hows this any better.

maze ironheart
28-01-2009, 15:03
Just to say have I offended anyone if so I am sorry have no idea what I've done to not get a replie on my army list.

blackjack
28-01-2009, 15:06
I doubt you have offended anyone. Your list is solid and typical. Simlar lists have been posted so many times there is not much new to say. It's a good list, nice to see no steam tank.

maze ironheart
28-01-2009, 15:13
I doubt you have offended anyone. Your list is solid and typical. Simlar lists have been posted so many times there is not much new to say. It's a good list, nice to see no steam tank.

Thank you I just needed to know that I had not offended anyone.

Nu Fenix
29-01-2009, 15:52
Now, I am only just starting off to use Empire myself after dropping out of the game for several years. But between what I have remembered and picked up from the book, I have some questions/suggestions for your list.

Why one detachment of 10 for each Swordsmen unit? Since them having a rank is superfluous, would 2 units of 5 be better? Or is the risk of them having a man picked off bringing them down to 4 too risky?

Since the Greatswords have no detachment, what about turning the core unit of Handgunners into two units of 5 strong detachments? That way they won't cause panic, can target more units, and grant no downside of the benefits of ignoring panic checks caused by them.

What made you pick the Ring of Volans? On a purely personal opinion, having a second dispel scroll over a one use bound spell, which could be either really good or really poor, grants you more defensive options. With just the one scroll, you really have to decide at what point to you stop one spell and save your dispel dice for other things? With two, it means you have more flexibility, and extra security.

With the points you have left, what about topping up a couple more models, if you have them? Before any changes, you could buy 4 more Swordsmen, which could make each detachment 12 strong, or two pairs of 6, for extra frontage and more room for casualties.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
29-01-2009, 19:54
As someone else said good to see no steam tank [they don't exist- by far the silliest unit in the entire game]. Why the Ring of Volans though? It just doesn't seem worth it for a random spell. Finally, don't underestimate Free Company- they can provide cheap big units for static CR that can also fight against Tou 3 enemies.

Volker the Mad Fiddler

maze ironheart
30-01-2009, 09:49
As someone else said good to see no steam tank [they don't exist- by far the silliest unit in the entire game]. Why the Ring of Volans though? It just doesn't seem worth it for a random spell. Finally, don't underestimate Free Company- they can provide cheap big units for static CR that can also fight against Tou 3 enemies.

Volker the Mad Fiddler

I do aggree as it is one use only but was the only thing I could think of my rod of power mage is always a fire wizard but can't decide what lore to pick for my second one.I was thinking lore of shadow and give him the doom fire ring have him fly around and flame every one plus shadow is a great lore but I would have no despell scrolls.I do aggree about the free company I'll give it a thought and post an update list I think I'll just take an extra despell scroll and give my second mage the lore of heavens.

maze ironheart
30-01-2009, 13:52
Ok had some thoughts on the list so here it is.

(Lord Choice)

1-Arch lector with great weapon and a war alter and Van horstmann's speculum and armor of meteoric iron.286pt's

(Hero Choice)

1-Battle wizard with LV2 upgrade with 2 despell scrolls.150pts

(Core Choice)

10-Free Company Detachment.50pt's

10-Free Company Detachment.50pt's

10-Handgunners.80pt's

15-flagellants.150pts

(Special Choice)

20-Greatswords with fullcommand with warbanner.255pt's

1-Great Cannon.100pt's

1-Great cannon.100pts

5-Outriders.105pt's

Totol-1986pt's

Ok so hows this any better should I drop the flagellants and take a worrior priest or captain or even a BSB or is it perfect the way it is.

Makarion
30-01-2009, 15:07
That looks quite nice. A few small notes:

* The Arch Lector gets an improvement to his armour save from the War Altar. Consider the Dawn Armour instead of Meteoric Iron, so you have a rerollable 2+ and a 4+ ward.
* If you have the points, you may find it worthwhile to give the wizard with the Rod a powerstone - they are only 20 pts for Empire.
* Free Company Detachments are a bad idea - they die too easily even in the flank, and as a result give up CR. Swordsmen or ranged troops are pretty much the only choice here (although I'll admit to using halberds at times, when I expect I won't face strong blocks).

As I said, it starts to look pretty good, althoughj those detachments need a good look.

Gaius Marius
30-01-2009, 16:17
OK... The War Altar mounted Arch lector is an anvil unit, with 2 swordsmen blocks and the Greatswords, and flagellants you have 5 anvils, and a 6 man knightly hammer. Get some more 'hammer' dude.

Consider triming back to 3-4 anvils. Keep the flagellants if you like, 24 Swords men with 2 detachments of swordsmen, an the Great swords with 2 detachments of swordsmen. With the points saved, consider beefing up the knights by adding a mounted warrior priest and a knight or two. You want to be 6 models wide, but need some dudes to soak inevitable casualties, and the Warrior priest adds to your punch with the hatred. Or, consider 2 units of 6 or so knights. They are very fashionable this season, so each flank could have one, and they cost only what the flagellants do.
At this point you could consider changing one cannon to a Mortar and possibly add a unit of 10 xbows to flex your previously limited shooting.
My 2 bits.

maze ironheart
31-01-2009, 11:20
Ok have taken in what people have said and have come up with the following list.

(Lord Choice)

1-Arch lector with great weapon and a war alter and Van horstmann's speculum and Dawn armour.296pt's

(Hero Choice)

1-Worrior priest with heavy armour and horse with barding and a great weapon.112pts

1-Battle wizard with 2 despell scroll.115pts

(Core Choice)

10-Handgunners.80pt's

15-flagellants.150pts

6-Empire Knights with standardbearer and musician.162pts

(Special Choice)

5-Outriders.105pt's

1-Great Cannon.100pt's

1-Great cannon.100pts

Totol-2000pt's

Ok so hows this any better I myself have mixed ideas about the mortor as I face heavly armoured opponents like Chaos/Brettonians/Dwarfs.When the mortor hits they just laugh and say well when are you gonna hit us with something that hurts.I just find it a hit or miss weapon I prefer that it hits it's target and cause alot of damage.Plus if I hit something like a greater daemon I can really hurt it as my friend has a greater daemon of tzeentch and he never has it fight.

maze ironheart
04-02-2009, 10:24
Ok have had some thoughts so here it is.

(Lord Choice)

1-Arch lector with great weapon and a war alter and Van horstmann's speculum and Dawn armour.296pt's

(Hero Choice)

1-Worrior priest with heavy armour and horse with barding and a shield and a bitting blade and sigil of sigmar.130ptspts

1-Battle wizard with 2 despell scroll.115pts

(Core Choice)

10-Handgunners.80pt's

15-flagellants.150pts

5-Empire Knights with standardbearer and musician.139ptspts

(Special Choice)

5-Outriders.105pt's

1-Great Cannon.100pt's

1-Great cannon.100pts

Totol-1995pt's

So is this any better I thought a bitting blade would be better then a great weapon as it won't make me strike last and I will get a better armour save as well.

maze ironheart
05-02-2009, 10:13
So is their anything wrong with the list or is it ok.

PeG
06-02-2009, 08:30
The list is fine. One of the good points with empire is that you can build so many different builds which also means that lots of people will have opinions about it and able to suggest various minor changes. From what I have seen from it I like the ring of volans if you go for a magic offense. Sure it is a random spell but if you fight daemons or VC (you will need all help you can get against those two) pick light and there are not that many bad options. You probably dont want a 2 and 3 isnt great but otherwise I think it will be worth its points.

Makarion
06-02-2009, 15:39
Still, I think it's too expensive for a one use bound item - a powerstone at 20 points seems the better deal in that case, or the Doomfire Ring. Or Aldred's Casket.

maze ironheart
07-02-2009, 10:37
My scroll caddys lore is gonna be lore of light and my power one is lore of fire I think I should drop the sigil or should I keep it.Also a silly question If my arch leactor gets challanged is the war alter also in the challange as it will stop the enemy who arn't in the combat targeting the war alter for easy combat.