PDA

View Full Version : Heroes and Lords enter thine units!!!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-01-2009, 12:06
The other day I was at GW and played the second best player in the country and got spanked. (Some of that was dice rolls, seriously!!!) i salvaged honour anyways.
Anyways the guy had a fighty character on a cold one in a unit of temple guard with the slann. He informed me that you can indeed put cavalry models in rank and file units but their movement is altered. I cant see any time i nthe near future that i will be doing this but i am just looking for further confirmation that its true. Apparently its good to beef up the ranks a little too. Thanks

Kalandros
23-01-2009, 12:18
Putting cavalry model in an infantry unit is allowed.
The unit always uses the slowest movement available - so the M7 Cold one hero will go at the Saurus' M4.

The hero cannot pursue out of the unit on his own to gain an unfair 3d6 pursuit when you expected a 2d6 pursuit from the infantry unit.
Stupidity will affect the entire unit if he fails his LD test

The hero can charge out of the unit on his own, but doing so prevents the unit from charging that turn.

I think that's everything about heroes joining units?

Tae
23-01-2009, 12:23
Putting cavalry model in an infantry unit is allowed.
The unit always uses the slowest movement available - so the M7 Cold one hero will go at the Saurus' M4.

The hero cannot pursue out of the unit on his own to gain an unfair 3d6 pursuit when you expected a 2d6 pursuit from the infantry unit.
Stupidity will affect the entire unit if he fails his LD test

The hero can charge out of the unit on his own, but doing so prevents the unit from charging that turn.

I think that's everything about heroes joining units?

Sounds about right, only thing I'd add is that flying mounts can't join units.

Condottiere
23-01-2009, 12:27
The thing to remember is that:

1. Better AS.

2. Can't usually be sniped, unless R&F falls below five.

3. Always can sortie out if the situation requires it.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-01-2009, 13:14
When would this kind of things be advantageous besides giving a mage decent protection and an armour save with the option of him running away when the time comes.

Condottiere
23-01-2009, 13:18
If you have to commit your BSB in an infantry formation.

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 13:21
Yes - definitely allowed, if you get teh BRB FAQ / Errata from the GW website they have also included a way to add "odd" models into units; essentially you count ranks including the number of models you displace, e.g. a 50x50 in a unit of chaos warriors would displace 4 warriors, so a unit of 16 warriors and character on 50x50 could get the maximum +3 rank bonus.

It is quite a common tactic, giving cheap AS boost, "free" model for rank bonus (or more - see above :) ) and gives the character flexibiilty, for example marching out and joining a avalry unit, or sometimes just getting away from a unit in a perilous position....

slasher
23-01-2009, 14:03
Sounds about right, only thing I'd add is that flying mounts can't join units.

Although there are now (well in Feb) exceptions to this rule (Terredons):rolleyes:

Braad
23-01-2009, 14:38
When you have the BSB on a mount in a unit, they can faster move between units if necessary. That's also nice.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-01-2009, 14:41
Although there are now (well in Feb) exceptions to this rule (Terredons):rolleyes:

thats disgusting. You could do a lot with that. That and ranked kroxigors!

Condottiere
23-01-2009, 16:54
We'll see in the coming weeks how the lizzies rank. My suggesttion is to always mount your combat characters, regardless if alone, in infantry or cavalry unit. Only leave them unmounted if you have a reason not to.

Neckutter
23-01-2009, 16:58
this was a common tactic in 6th edition, and was discussed at length in several annuals. it was less advantageous since they could be targetted.

lately people have not been doing it, even though it has gotten better. i dont do it, because it looks silly. well, i guess i do it with a palanquin of nurgle, but that is a lil different. but imo, it looks silly to be riding a horse, when everyone else is on foot. :)

plus if you have an army of 20mm foot models(like DE, empire etc), a horse mount would look wierd in the formation.

Condottiere
23-01-2009, 17:00
It does, I plan to customize several trays to fit them.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-01-2009, 18:51
I am going to have a mounted bsb with the battle banner that could be fun with a unit of twenty phoenix guard and be scary!!!

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 19:11
Krox rank up with 1 krox per 8 skink - the example has 8 wide skink, then 3 krox on the second (and third...) rank, giving one skink on each side of the Krox. Non skirmish skink have javelin and shield, skirmishing skink are more expensive and have blow pipes.

Neckutter
23-01-2009, 20:00
non skirmish skink have javelin and shield? damnit, now i have 40 non-skirmishing skinks, compared to 15 blowpipe skinks. :(
what a weird unit.
just weird. do they get a standard? do the 3 kroxigor provide 2 rank bonus because they are collectively take up 120mmx40mm. so many questions!

Nurgling Chieftain
23-01-2009, 21:51
Your questions are by-and-large answered in the codex. One cool thing is the Krox can strike over the skinks.

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 22:09
Neckutterr - as was said, the answers in teh codex. Of course they count for ranks, it says it in the codex and in the FAQ remember ;)

They get full command options as well, FC is 20 points :)

AS for your jav and shield ones - if memory serves you can also pay the skirmishing skinks to have jav and shield, so dont panic just yet :D

The Army book is awesome, got to read it all and couldn't put it down....

Necromancy Black
23-01-2009, 23:06
Yeah, it's 1 point to make them skirmishers with blowpipes, then 1 or 2 points to get them with jav and shields while skirmishing. No more scouting :(

Also there is a Skink only banner that gives the unit frenzy. Not sure if the skink unit can take it or if you need a Chief BSB.

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 23:14
Nope, it definitely isnt 1pt for skirmish. The ranks are one point less than the old book skinks, the new skirmish skinks are 1 point more

you do get Ld6 in excahnge, which is awesome :)

You need a skink BSB - only temple guard and cav take magic banners, as before.

Necromancy Black
23-01-2009, 23:30
Ah, must've got it mixed up. I know it's the same amount of points to get my javelin and shield skirmishers in the new book as it cost to get them with scouting in the old one.

Chicago Slim
24-01-2009, 00:56
Back to the "cav character in infantry unit" topic... I almost always mount my Orc Big Bosses and Warbosses on boars, partly because it gives a LOT of advantages (+2 AS, an extra attack, or two, which is S5 on a charge, Mv 7, with the option to charge even when the unit is still out of range) for a small pile of points (16-24), with the down-side that the unit is vulnerable to Beast Cowers (per the new FAQ: even a single cavalry model in the unit makes the whole unit vulnerable).

They also look absolutely fantastic-- I found a bunch of old Black Orc Warboss models for cheap, and have been converting them, including one that's riding the front part of a Wartrak (to be the Ironback Boar!)

For them what say that cavalry models in infantry units are ugly or make no sense, I direct your attention to myriad examples of mounted officers leading foot troops over the course of hundreds and hundreds of years of warfare... :P