PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition cardboard stand-ups

Griefbringer
01-12-2005, 10:42
Yesterday, while reorganising my store of miscellaneous gaming stuff, I found a handful of printed cardboard stand-up models that were included in the 4th edition starter box (I acquired one a year or two back). There is at least 4 different ones - high elf repeating bolt thrower, high elf riding griffon, orc stone thrower and orc riding wyvern. These came with small plastic stands to mount them on, and were supposed to be used as substitutes for the respective metal models.

Theoretically (I would not bother actually trying this out), were these to be mounted on bases of the official size, could one use them for gaming in a GW store? They are after all official GW products. :evilgrin:

Sylass
01-12-2005, 10:51
You better prepare to get *whacked* with red sticks when you try to pull that off. :p

Mmmmh, I too have the cardboard stand-ups from 4th edition...if I ever feel the need for a quick spanking, I'll take them with me to the local GW...

Griefbringer
01-12-2005, 11:48
Well, I found out that in the same box I had no less than five of the red whacka-sticks, so I am also prepared! Mind it, I have really no clue where they all came from, and neither have I ever really used them for anything (hmmm, perhaps they could be used for building terrain).

Of course, the really hardcore would try to field the official GW flat paper models from the back of the 3rd edition rulebook (I am afraid I do not have any of those, though). Not beingst on the bases (they were the size of the appropriate bases though) might bring in some issues.

Are there any good alternative uses for those cardboard stand-ups? They are pretty sturdy cardboard, so perhaps one could drill a hole through, insert a piece of string and use them as Christmas tree decorations! Hmmm, perhaps I should start a different thread on warhammer-themed Christmas tree decorations.

Sylass
01-12-2005, 11:55
I don't think there's a real use for them apart of using them as proxies in a friendly game if you just want to try fielding that Elf on Griffon or in case you need a 3rd Bolt Thrower.

Movement trays maybe...

neXus6
01-12-2005, 12:00
I've got them to, you could try to get away with it, it is technically a model made of cardboard and it has more than 3 colours on it.

Okay maybe not. :p

Olith
01-12-2005, 15:53
There was Grom's chariot too.

Blackadder
01-12-2005, 16:55
Their were special round 25mm bases with a slot on top of the base for those cardboard things. Also used in the 2nd edition 40K box for the Ork Dreadnought.

Well, I found out that in the same box I had no less than five of the red whacka-sticks, so I am also prepared!

That must be from later boxed sets, because as I recall correctly those red sticks were first introduced with Necromunda, which was released some 4 or 5 years later. Their are also blue ones (with centimeters instead of inches), which came with Epic 40K or BFG.

starlight
01-12-2005, 17:02
I still have my 2nd Ed Orky Dread and pull it out from time to time.:D Friendly games only, mind you.:D

Griefbringer
01-12-2005, 18:25
Hey, I also found out that I have 40K 2nd edition Ork Dreadnought too!

I also still have all the essential components for Battlemasters, perhaps I should give that a game again sometime. It was surprisingly nice game, especially with the included mini-campaign. I originally just bought the box for miniatures (though I now only have the knights and cannon remaining, everything else traded away), but tried it out and was happily surprised.

Perhaps I should try it again for some light-hearted fun - I could substitute the missing models with others from my model collection (would need to substitute orcs for chaos, though).

Or then I could just paint the rest of the Battlemaster figures and go to a GW store to annoy the staff (packing my WD156 to demonstrate that they really are approved for games of Warhammer).

Tyrion Reaper
01-12-2005, 18:56
They included the 4th cardboars cutouts so you could play a scenario that came with the boxset about Groms invasion into Ulthuan and when he faced Eltharion. It was quite annoying trying to use them though as I kept knocking them over when moving my other troops. The boxset also contained some nice buildings which I still have on my terrain shelf.

Trunks
01-12-2005, 19:38
As long as you put them on a base, put sand/flock on the base, and paint the "model", they can't complain. You could paint right on top of the cardboard just to make things look more ridiculous. I'd do it :)

Crazy Harborc
01-12-2005, 19:57
Got some of those myself! I've still got the armybooks, rule books, magic card sets, etc., etc. Then, there's the bits left over from putting together a couple of thousand models/minies.

I've learned the hard way not to throw that stuff away. Save it for decades, just......in......case.:confused:

Lady's Champion
01-12-2005, 21:49
Hmmm, how about putting the fallen giant and treeman templates onto bases...

Griefbringer
01-12-2005, 21:54
Lady's Champion: now that would be ingenious!

I have also noticed that some boxed sets have pictures of individual models on the sides/front, these could be also cut out and placed on stand-up bases - and they are official GW products for sure!

Crazy Harborc
01-12-2005, 21:58
I had forgotten about those fallen giant templets!! Funny how they were smaller than the "official" models. I guess they are still supposed to be used when the giant falls ON troops.

Griefbringer
01-12-2005, 22:25
I had forgotten about those fallen giant templets!! Funny how they were smaller than the "official" models.

Remember that the ground scale and model scale are not the same in the game.