PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG Common magic weapons?

Masteraries
23-01-2009, 18:35
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the common magic weapon list WYSIWYG was considered to be fairly liberal in tournament scene.

For example does your model have to have a sword to be able to select "Sword of might", can it be a mace/hammer/pick and be a "Hammer of might" (using counts as...)?

Nurgling Chieftain
23-01-2009, 18:37
Actually, a "Sword" of might can be an axe, mace, or whatever, just fine. This only becomes a concern for mundane weapon types - even of magical weapons. For example, the Spear of Twilight should be a spear because it's specifically described as such not in its name, but in its rules!

nosferatu1001
23-01-2009, 19:13
Yes - unless it actually gives a type, the weapon is simply anything you want it to be. The name is just a name, it doesnt actually mean anything....but something with the rules "lance" should really look like a lance!

Masteraries
23-01-2009, 19:54
Thanks guys for the clerification, I was a little concerned if it might be an issue in the tournament scene.

Neckutter
23-01-2009, 19:56
generally you should try to paint the sword/mace/pick of might to make it look magical. maybe some blue lightning, or use shining gold or something like that. but, generally no people arent too uptight about what a sword of might should look like. think of it as a "handweapon" of might.

BattleofLund
23-01-2009, 22:44
generally you should try to paint the sword/mace/pick of might to make it look magical. maybe some blue lightning, or use shining gold or something like that. but, generally no people arent too uptight about what a sword of might should look like. think of it as a "handweapon" of might.

I don't agree. When viewing my opponent's army I would expect a high probability of a fighty-type character with a hand weapon having a magic weapon, don't need an extra heads-up with an unusual paintjob.

If you want to paint it special, that is another matter. You could, but shouldn't have to.

Griefbringer
24-01-2009, 08:28
I don't see a point in making all magical weapons looking like they have just spent a few years in a nuclear reactor to make them glow in the dark. Never mind that you might want at times to field the same figure with a mundane weapon.

And if you go by the practice of keeping magic items secret until they are first revealed, then magic weapons should be pretty much excepted from any WYSIWYG requirements anyway.

Shamfrit
24-01-2009, 08:35
I can't stand open lists, it detracts from the whole point, wysiwyg should be for mundane equipment only, and even then, as long as my opponent tells me what each unit has and is helpful when I ask the same questions everyturn (wine ftw) then there really shouldn't be any anal retentiveness over a unit with spears 'actually' having handweapons and shields.

Have we got to that stage in the gaming hobby leagues already?

Condottiere
24-01-2009, 09:41
Since Magic Items are meant to remain secret until they are revealed, a weapon need not be specially marked out. That would be like asking a Dwarf player to carefully inscribe every single rune on his models, that he's using, authentically.

Griefbringer
24-01-2009, 09:58
That would be like asking a Dwarf player to carefully inscribe every single rune on his models, that he's using, authentically.

I am quite sure that the most serious dwarf players are already doing that, voluntarily. Because it would be the proper dwarvish thing to do. :cool:

Morglum5780
25-01-2009, 20:30
hmmm...i dont play in official GW tournaments (their rules are psycho anyways), but I would have to say that any opponent that raised a question about my character model not having the type of weapon/armor that I gave him would be told to go to hell...

Condottiere
25-01-2009, 22:26
I am quite sure that the most serious dwarf players are already doing that, voluntarily. Because it would be the proper dwarvish thing to do. :cool:Did I write inscribe, I meant engrave.:evilgrin: