PDA

View Full Version : Shades... Who else loves them?

EdFireborn
24-01-2009, 03:45
I love shades, especially with great weapons, the multitude of shots coupled with WS5 S5 in close combat is amazing, every game my shades get their points back...

who else loves their shades?

Freenut
24-01-2009, 03:47
Pretty much every dark elf player I know of or have heard of (myself included). ;)

chivalrous
24-01-2009, 06:13
I think you get what you pay for and with shades you pay a lot and you get a lot!
With that said I find that with the list I like playing with (large blocks with small detachments and Dark Rider support) I've run out of points and I'm not entirely sure how I'd fit them into my play style.

StormCrow
24-01-2009, 07:16
shades are my second favourite unit in the new book (nothing beats the black guard in my opinion). The amount of shots they can put out is great, but hiding assassins in them is the icing on the cake.

Djekar
24-01-2009, 08:02
I'd like to know who doesn't like shades? I mean, I own the book and a few (like <100 points worth) models, and even I love them! Then, I may be enamored b/c I play O&G and WoC who have no real skirmishers and no even partial scouts and we all know that the grass is always greener...

~Mulch

The Red Scourge
24-01-2009, 08:17
I fear shades a lot more than hydras or an overpowering dark elf magic phase. BS5 and armor piercing repeater crossbows, thats a scout unit you just can't ignore.

EdFireborn
24-01-2009, 08:43
I fear shades a lot more than hydras or an overpowering dark elf magic phase. BS5 and armor piercing repeater crossbows, thats a scout unit you just can't ignore.

I wished my opponent ignored them.... the first game i used them, my opponent was shocked, Ws5 great weapons and 20 shots a turn @ Bs5

Condottiere
24-01-2009, 09:27
Shades are definitely a threat, and if they have the possibility of being deployed near your troops, you basically have to seal off that area, usually with skirmishers.

Frankly
24-01-2009, 09:34
I just love them!

They're one of my favorite units to play with at the moment.

+ an assassin and they're brilliant CC units on the flanks of combat.

Galatan
24-01-2009, 10:57
Not only are shades great ingame, they are utterly twisted evil in the background too. Which in turn makes them even cooler:evilgrin:. A normal dark elf is almost a high elf when you compare them to shades (note I'm a little exaggerating here :p).

But to be honest I love the background of all shade equivalent units:rolleyes: (shadow warriors, waywatchers, charmeleon skinks etc). Too bad they ain't as good in game. Skirmishers with great weapons running around on your flank really is a threat.

FallenAfh
24-01-2009, 12:36
One of my Hellcannons seems to have some sort of obsession with them.

Turn 1, failed Rampage test moved towards a group of Shades. Turn 2, try to shoot - misfire and Rampage even closer. Turn 3, decided that since it's obviously in love with them, charge in anyways. Ended up eating the Assassin in the squad and running them down.

iaguz
24-01-2009, 13:40
Ugh, Shades...

This one time, a mate of mine was playing a friend's DE (friend is a very good player, btw). He had very little exp with the list, but we just wanted to have a good time. Roll some dice, have fun and test out my WoC 'Top Gear' army (2 hellcannons, 4 chariots, 10 marauder horsemen, some warhounds, a lvl 4, a lvl 2, bsb on chariot and 40 marauders).

Anyway, a unit of 5 shades hits the flank of 17 marauders, and wins. And breaks them. Note that the maruaders had the scr from ranks, standard and outnumber and still lost from a skirmishing unit!

Next list this friend of mine makes, there's two units of Shades....

(I did beat that one with my Beastly Boys though (BoC)