PDA

View Full Version : GW coping Gamezone Miniatures

thrawn
24-01-2009, 18:50
have you guys seen this video?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=12900002

well gamezone has been doing this forever. here's just a couple of examples.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=htAHVzKFczA

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5CjRBLZxI10&feature=related

anyways, what ever, it's a great idea!

mattjgilbert
24-01-2009, 18:52
Lots of people do 360 views of their stuff. It makes sense if you want to show the whole model.

devolutionary
24-01-2009, 19:03
Because Gamezone has never copied Games Workshop :p

The sharing of presentation ideas is nothing new. One group comes up with an excellent idea, it then spreads. Another comes up with another, and so on. Somebody had to use picture frames for portraits first, after all.

nagash66
24-01-2009, 19:07
Games Workshop strikes back.... i like it

theunwantedbeing
24-01-2009, 19:11
Erm.....so GW ripped off the design for their new baneblade variants off gamezones Fiendish Offspring miniatures?

Methinks you might want to go get some new marbles as your dont seem to be all there. :P

devolutionary
24-01-2009, 19:12
You miss the point. It's about the presentation video ;)

Freakiq
24-01-2009, 19:16
Yeah, gamezone sure have the right to complain about others copying them... :rolleyes:

Inquisitor Engel
24-01-2009, 19:19
Because Gamezone TOTALLY have a trademark on 360 degrees...

*sigh*

Griefbringer
24-01-2009, 19:19
The presentation video is such a good idea that it would be nice if it would spread to even more manufacturers in future.

ZOMGBBQ
24-01-2009, 19:23
They do!
Same as Games Workshop has trademarks of Space, Marine, Dark, Grimdark, Grimdarkwithskulls and probably Dice.

Harry
24-01-2009, 19:26
Surely the ammount of ideas Gamezone has swiped from GW they are allowed to swipe one idea in return. :D

Welf VIII.
24-01-2009, 19:40
I think it's always good when good ideas are copied and developed further.

the1stpip
24-01-2009, 19:47
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

BattleofLund
24-01-2009, 19:49

(somebody was bound to say it :))

laudarkul
24-01-2009, 19:52
If both company sometimes get some ideas from each other I guess we are the lucky;).

Netherghoul
24-01-2009, 20:00
yep , only if GW now grows the balls/talents to make equal quality of Gamezone's miniatures then we're getting somewhere.

ZOMGBBQ
24-01-2009, 20:22
yep , only if GW now grows the balls/talents to make equal quality of Gamezone's miniatures then we're getting somewhere.

Lol.
With all the cash GW pulled in from the LotR franchice, the current generation of GW models are some of, if not the, best on the market.

Charax
24-01-2009, 20:32
McFarlane have been using 360 views on their lines for as long as I can remember.

t-tauri
24-01-2009, 20:38
Two threads merged. I'll give this a short period to see if it can drag itself from the spammy start before wasting it.

Netherghoul
24-01-2009, 20:39
Lol.
With all the cash GW pulled in from the LotR franchice, the current generation of GW models are some of, if not the, best on the market.

you have got to be kidding me bigtime?:eek:....
best on the market?!
er you def need a new pair of glasses and look around better.

and Lotr franchise being a goldmine? I sincerly doubt that because I think the deal with the lotr franchise will eventualy kill GW over.
Greed....

Grimtuff
24-01-2009, 20:56

"sincerest form of plagiarism" would be better. :p

Pokpoko
24-01-2009, 21:58
McFarlane have been using 360 views on their lines for as long as I can remember.
360 is okay. Crappy youtube vids are not.At least not as the only way to present the minis. give me vids you must, but give me sharp, clear pictures(with close-ups) first.

O&G'sRule
24-01-2009, 22:17
Gamezone do have alot of nice stuff, many alot better than the gw equivalent, but Gw models have come n alot recently, especially the plastics. They are superb now, and they stay together, which is still a problem with GZ and all other multipart metals

Netherghoul
24-01-2009, 22:35
imho the miniatures of GZ are more destined for painters/artists

Bregalad
25-01-2009, 01:49
Gw borrows ideas.
Gamezone borrows ideas.
Every second miniature website whose programmer knows flash animations has some (e.g. Wizkids, Wizards, Rackham, ...).
Crappy youtube videos with 360o views are just a step back, so what's the deal?

devolutionary
25-01-2009, 02:14
To be fair, YouTube is a much better advertising device than a flash animation on your own website. It may have YouTube elements attached, but it'll spread amongst communities much more easily. It's also free hosting of what can be high-bandwidth content, especially considering how many hits GW may get from it.

Nightsword
25-01-2009, 11:21
To be fair, YouTube is a much better advertising device than a flash animation on your own website. It may have YouTube elements attached, but it'll spread amongst communities much more easily. It's also free hosting of what can be high-bandwidth content, especially considering how many hits GW may get from it.

And that's the beauty of it. If it had been a flash animation on their website, the only people who'd see it would be the people that... um... go to their website! On youtube, with it's much higher hit rate and appeal to broader audiences, anyone in the entire world (with an internet connection) may stumble upon this.

I like the video, and although it is remarkably similar to Gamezones, it works really well, so fair play to them. It's not the first time GW have issued 360 views anyway, it's just that this one is a video.

isidril93
25-01-2009, 12:30
gamezone are good but they copy a lot of GW...which is older by the way?
their high elves are good but i dont think they will fit well with the GW ones

Reinholt
25-01-2009, 13:31
How narrow minded!

Gamezone is clearly stealing this idea from any number of companies who used 360 presentation previously, who are clearly stealing the idea from the first human who decided to walk all the way around something they were buying to inspect it before actually buying it.

El'Flashman
25-01-2009, 13:47
Lol... GW are ripping off GZ.... that's fresh XD

bomblu
25-01-2009, 14:52
Good...this is what's nice :P

360 views, some music...details....What they should do next is add the GW logo at the back, make the background deep-redish silky style and add a monitor in each GW shop for advertising in a different method.

Me likes a lot :D

librerian_samae
26-01-2009, 14:19
For all those people saying
"GW shouldnt copy games zone with 360 views"

I think the point should be more-
"gameszone shouldn't copy Mcfarlane 360 views" :p

The 360 gimick is not just a gameszone 'discovery' its been doing the rounds with sculpting companys for absolutely AGES.

ZiggyTempest
26-01-2009, 14:27
Games Workshop actually did 360 views back when the Eldar were re-released. They had 360 images for the Harlequins on their site.

Darkzephyr
26-01-2009, 14:29
Wow, it's hilarious to hear the small things people claim are "copying" or "Stealing" ideas. If people didn't steal ideas, nothing would ever be improved and it's practically impossible to invent anything that nobody has ever thought of before.

Rotating something 360 Degrees to show it off from all angles has been going on LOOOOONNNNG before Gamezone or whoever they are started doing it. It's a very common way to show off a 3-D model

It's a very simple camera technique used to help the company advertise their product. Claiming it's stealing an idea is like calling out someone who uses a camera zoom or a celebrity spokesperson to advertise their product!

IJW
26-01-2009, 15:06
Rotating something 360 Degrees to show it off from all angles has been going on LOOOOONNNNG before Gamezone or whoever they are started doing it.
To put it mildly. Interactive 360 object views started getting wider exposure back in 1994 when Apple added the capability to QuickTime and started showing their products on the web in that way. Now that there's plenty of bandwidth around we get full video versions, but I'm pretty sure I can remember seeing looping animated GIF versions back in 2002 or so on some model manufacturer's site.

Gamezone are new to this kind of stuff...

loveless
26-01-2009, 15:36
Honestly, the youtube vids for the GW stuff seem to be a slightly higher quality than the GZ stuff. I'm not seeing the usual youtube fuzz, either.

Although, maybe my monitor's just better than most wargamers' monitors :p

Netherghoul
26-01-2009, 23:44
Honestly, the youtube vids for the GW stuff seem to be a slightly higher quality than the GZ stuff. I'm not seeing the usual youtube fuzz, either.

Although, maybe my monitor's just better than most wargamers' monitors :p

this is funny; because the miniatures of GZ are a higher quality than GW's :p

sorry, you could have seen this coming;)

scarletsquig
27-01-2009, 00:23
It's been interesting to watch the interaction between the 2 companies for a while now.. without the overheads that GW has, Gamezone are usually first off the mark to release updated versions of GW models. This in turn, gives GW a greater incentive to sculpt more models and better models faster. Take the following sequence of events for example:

1. Gamezone make cool raptor cold ones.
2. Jes gets tired of everyone pointing out how awesome the Gamezone cold ones are.
3. Jes makes even cooler raptor cold ones.
4. GW sells them for half the price of the Gamezone ones.

I'm glad GW has some direct competition, helps to keep them on their toes.. if it wasn't for Gamezone we might still be waiting for those new cold ones.

They really keep up the pressure on the release schedule too, with releases like the chaos warshrine, currently unavailable from GW... hopefully this will be the thing that finally kills the 10-year gaps in the release schedules for some armies.

Now, if only Gamezone would hurry up with a new line of chaos dwarfs. ;)

Netherghoul
27-01-2009, 09:45
be carefull what you wish for:p

GavT
28-01-2009, 10:08
When Robin Dews was still Studio manager (eight to ten years ago?) we investigated doing the 360 degree thing for the website, but it was too much of a faff with the digital technology at the time. Seems that finally the idea has become more practical.

Cheers,

GAV

Killgore
28-01-2009, 10:18
360 viewing has been used to market products for thousands of companys for years, whats so new about it?

how many decades have car show rooms featured cars spinning around on a platform? thats a 360 view is it not? so whats so different about companys doing it on the internet for models or any other detailed product

no one is ripping anyone off, its just good marketing