PDA

View Full Version : Leaving one spot for characters

Anton
25-01-2009, 00:08
Hello. Do you ever leave one spot in units for characters when making an army list? For example, making a 20-man unit 19 strong, leaving the last spot for the character?

I understand that some players don't want to reveal the positions of their characters early, but how about the rest of you?

How do you do this?

Surgency
25-01-2009, 00:47
I fill my squads out to the nearest 5, then throw characters in when I can

Wulfrik
25-01-2009, 04:07
I don't mind telegraphing character positions a bit, so when I need the points to squeeze something in, I'll kill of the guy in the last spot of a rank.

Ymir
25-01-2009, 05:02
Sometimes, I just field 24 skeletons -without- a character. Thus, my opponent can't be sure at any given time whether that gap's gonna get filled or not.

So yeah, of course I leave room - I do prefer my blocks to be nice, solid squares after all.

Djekar
25-01-2009, 06:10
I like to round my blocks to the nearest integer that they are ranked in (i.e. 25 if 5 wide, 12, 18 or 24 if 6 wide, etc) because it really bugs me not to. Not that I can't field uneven units (units of 21 Night Goblins, what what!), but it's a very strong preference.

That being said, if I'm within the points of a RnF trooper over points and I can't find anything else, I'll usually leave a hole for the character that my opponents would be able to discern the location of before deployment anyways. Example: General in the center of the army.

Finally, sometimes, if I'm up the cost of several troopers, but less than a full rank, I'll drop one from each unit until I'm under - thus not choreographing at all, and keeping my line nice and neat. Cool!

~Express

Braad
25-01-2009, 08:59
Usually I just leave the spot, and often even in the front rank :p
Don't care that much about it, I guess. I think those few combat characters that go in those spots usually go with the big blocks of boyz anyway.

On the other hand, shamans and mounted characters go in undefined places. It mainly has to do that I made the front rank of a few units specifically to fit certain characters, and they are showcased with those characters in it. So before a battle I just pick them out and put them back in during deployment.

W0lf
25-01-2009, 09:40
When writing army lists i do characters first so naturally i write my list with them in mind and so leave spots.

Desert Rain
25-01-2009, 10:23
With my lizardmen I leave open spots for my characters, but not with my high elves. Don't ask me why.