PDA

View Full Version : What armies to expect in 2250pts (SC allowed)

mossel
25-01-2009, 08:45
In a few weeks, there will be a Fanatic in Belgium, whicj I intend to attend.
The WHFB tournament is 2250pts, SC allowed.

I was wondering what kind of armylists I can expect... We'll be playing pitched battles and scenarios (killpoints, table quarters and assassination)

The lists I think will be there:

-Thorek Ironbrow Dwarfs
-Mannfred/VC Lord + Drakenhof BSB + Blood Knights/Grave Guard Vampire Counts
-Archaon Warriors of Chaos
-Trollking Warriors of Chaos
-Malekith on Dragon + 2 Hydras Dark Elves
-Malekith + Hydra BSB + Cold One Knights + 2 Hydras Dark Elves
-Karl Franz/popemobile + 2 Steam Tanks Empire
-Teclis High Elves
-Tyrion High Elves

Lizardmen won't be using the new army book yet (too recently updated).

Can you help me think of any 'typical' lists that could be fielded? I'd like to make a non-SC list, as I prefer playing whitout any myself. At my club, we usually don't use SC, so I'm not really up-to-date with them and the armies that accompany them...

thx for lending a hand!

Disciple of Caliban
25-01-2009, 11:49
^^ I'm amazed you missed Daemons off your list, it just wouldnt be a tourney without a couple of the (more) powerful deamon lists making an appearance, so you could well face something like:

3 units of flesh hounds
2 units of flamers
3 units of horrors
And a suitable tooled Greater daemon

The Slaanesh leadership bomb army

Or the Tzeentch uber magic army

Da Black Gobbo
25-01-2009, 12:17
The Slaanesh leadership bomb army

I'm curious, how this one works?? I mean what ingredients for this recipe?

stonetroll
25-01-2009, 12:36
I hoped to attend that tournament too! Unfortuanetly I'll be on the other side of the world for study matters in february :s.

Anyway, I think that if SCs are going to be allowed, Daemons (and this particular list) is going to steamroll the entire tournament without breaking a sweat:

Kairos fateweaver
Blue scribes
Tzeentch herald on flying chariot with shooting attack
Tzeentch herald on flying chariot with shooting attack

2/3 units horrors

2/3 units flesh hounds

2 units flamers

lame, but very, very hurty

Disciple of Caliban
25-01-2009, 13:41
I'm curious, how this one works?? I mean what ingredients for this recipe?

The Masque,
Herald BSB with Great standard of despair,

Then pretty much whatever the player fancies. The basic idea behind the list is that it can inflict -5 to enemy leadership, making it very easy to break/panic your foes. Its main problem is when it comes up against foes who dont use their leadership (undead/deamons/unbreakable troops etc)

Da Black Gobbo
25-01-2009, 15:08
The Masque,
Herald BSB with Great standard of despair,

Then pretty much whatever the player fancies. The basic idea behind the list is that it can inflict -5 to enemy leadership, making it very easy to break/panic your foes. Its main problem is when it comes up against foes who dont use their leadership (undead/deamons/unbreakable troops etc)

It will be fun adding a Tzeench herald with complete Lore of Shadows for an extra -3 penalty with the 5th spell.

mossel
25-01-2009, 15:12
Lore of Death ;)

I know someonewho uses this list. Rather obvious what his plan is, but hard to counter it...

Neknoh
25-01-2009, 15:41
Not to mention the level four Keeper can be quite the danger to armies, using spells such as Shard or permanent stupidity on your units.

Disciple of Caliban
25-01-2009, 15:54
Yep, leadership bomb is definately a tricky one. Though truthfully not likely to perform to well at a tournament due to the number of enemies who dont use the leadership characteristic. Still, a lot of fun against your average human/elf/dwarf army, and seriously messy against Orcs+Gobbos

kaintxu
25-01-2009, 16:17
Why are archaon and troll king WoC armies that good?

What about valkias? with re rerroling eye, chosen, and some of the templets.

And how do you think and armie of daemons with the following could perform.

Bloodthister.
The masc (hunting warmachines, and other stuff)
Tzeentz herald
Nurgle herad BsB (-2 to casting)

2x 10 horrors
1x 14 plaguebearers

1x 5 Fleshhounds

1x 5 Flamers
1x 3 Juggys (changeable for more flamers or fleshhound)

Neknoh
25-01-2009, 16:33
Indeed, Eye of the Gods list with Valkia, Throgg, Trolls and Warshrines will show up

As will dual hellcannonlists led by gateway spamming daemonprinces after the success of the Tzeentch DP in a GT

Disciple of Caliban
25-01-2009, 16:43
Tzeentz herald
Nurgle herad BsB (-2 to casting)
1x 14 plaguebearers
1x 3 Juggys (changeable for more flamers or fleshhound)

The Tz herald probably isnt going to achieve much in the magic phase, because even with the horrors you dont have a great deal of magic power, and so will struggle to get past a decent magical defence (at least with any spells that really count).

Nurgle herald makes a pretty decent BSB, and should help you minimize damage from magic, but you'll need to be killing casters pretty fast (not a problem with the Masque and a thirster around).

Plaguebearers could do with being padded out some more since they're your only really solid unit.

Juggers are great models, and pretty powerful. But from a tournament stand point they're not as useful as either 6 flamers or 6 flesh hounds. So you might want to consider swapping them out if your wanting to maximise your competitve edge

kaintxu
25-01-2009, 17:30
As will dual hellcannonlists led by gateway spamming daemonprinces after the success of the Tzeentch DP in a GT

What is this list? can you explain

Lord Dan
25-01-2009, 17:38
So you might want to consider swapping them out if your wanting to maximise your competitve edge

Hunting tip: If you shoot a deer and come to claim it, you should definately fire about 30 more rounds into its head to maximise the kill.

kaintxu
25-01-2009, 18:07
Hunting tip: If you shoot a deer and come to claim it, you should definately fire about 30 more rounds into its head to maximise the kill.

What do you mean with this?

Disciple of Caliban
25-01-2009, 18:35
^^ He's saying that any deamon list is competitive. However, there are other threads better suited to such a discussion, so lets leave it at that

Neknoh
25-01-2009, 18:52
It's basically a list led by a level four Daemonprince of Tzeentch with Tendrils of Tzeentch, a Sorceror of Nurgle with the Infernal Puppet, possibly Festus as well.

The list will not spend heavely on the Core choices, a unit of Marauder Horsemen allong with perhaps two units of ten Warriors with Shields and Halberds is considered a hefty investment here even.

For Specials, you are looking at two units of Khornate Knights or similar setup, this to provide quite the punch in close combat which absolutely must be dealt with for even a single one of these units can demolish you in close combat.

For rare, you will then find not one, but TWO Hellcannons, holding around 400 victory points essentially locked away in things that severly hurts your army from a distance AND up close if you choose to go after them.

Putty
25-01-2009, 19:48
Sigvald, Wulfric, Kholek Suneater and Valkia are common if you face SC legal games, issue here is Kholek and Valkia do not have offical models for them yet, so if somebody really wants to field them, they would have to proxy them or something.

Archaon you might see if its 2500 points and above but occasionally he makes a appearance because anybody who plays chaos, will have his model (i do xD)

Neknoh
25-01-2009, 20:03
It is easy to scratch build Kholec in particular (Shaggoth model, sculpt a vizor on him, swap axehead for hammerhead). Valkia can be done using Celestine and Dark Pegasus wings and putting her on a 25mm base.

Lord Dan
25-01-2009, 22:49
Yeah, sorry. I thought it was clever when I wrote it, but looking back I see it's rather poorly worded. Thanks for the clarification, Caliban.

Havock
25-01-2009, 23:35
Yep, leadership bomb is definately a tricky one. Though truthfully not likely to perform to well at a tournament due to the number of enemies who dont use the leadership characteristic. Still, a lot of fun against your average human/elf/dwarf army, and seriously messy against Orcs+Gobbos

It was another case of someone thinking with his **** when writing the book.

mossel
26-01-2009, 04:10
Indeed, the Slaaneshi Ld bomb is pretty good when used correctly...

I do believe it's not bad against Daemons and Undead: if you kill the undead general/hierophant, crumbling on an even lower Ld can really hurt...
And when Daemons lose a combat and have a -2 Ld, that's 2 moere wounds caused...
And when testing for Allure, Torment Blade... -2 Ld doesn't help for taking the test. Same goesfor Stupidity etc.

PopeAlexanderVI
26-01-2009, 04:39
Slaanesh build is better than most against common daemon builds.

Army's speed gets it into combat quickly against magic lines, keeps it out of combat with plaguebearer blocks.

Low strength isn't a problem since most daemons are low toughness.