PDA

View Full Version : Drain Magic and Resist Magic...

Manowarhammer
25-01-2009, 22:12
Hello...

I have a question on these rules...

In the Warhammer rulebook (7th of course) on page 95 and in the paragraph dedicated to the rules of magic resistances, it states :

"[...] The number in the brackets indicates the maximum number of extra dice that may be rolled when trying to dispel each spell that AFFECTS the magically resistant model. [...]"

And now, in the High Elves Codex, on page 46, in the Drain Magic paragraphs, it is written :

"The casting values of all spells are raised by 3, whether cast by friend or foe"

After reading this, I understand that Drain magic AFFECTS the wizards and so, a wizard that have a magic resistance can use the dice allowed by his resistance to dispel Drain Magic.

Am I right ?? ... anyone

Thanks in advance

chivalrous
25-01-2009, 22:20
There is a fairly huge and ongonig arguement about whether 'affect' means the same as 'target' and whether a spell has to target a unit for MR to work or whether it just has to 'affect' a unit.
There are alse effects that do not happen until after all dice have been rolled, where MR can't be used.

At the moment there is no clear answer and all FAQ's can be interpreted as being ambiguous.

Condottiere
25-01-2009, 22:24
Generally considered a tablewide effect, and not targeted at anything specifically, so MR can't be added to the Dispel Roll.

Necromancy Black
25-01-2009, 22:27
In the Warhammer rulebook (7th of course) on page 95 and in the paragraph dedicated to the rules of magic resistances, it states :

"[...] The number in the brackets indicates the maximum number of extra dice that may be rolled when trying to dispel each spell that AFFECTS the magically resistant model. [...]"

Not anymore. This rule has recently been changed so that the word "affects" has been removed.

So ask youself, does it make sense to use MR with the new wording only saying "targeted"?
It's still not 100% clear but it appears that any spell without a direct target will not trigger MR.

Manowarhammer
26-01-2009, 00:05
I see I see...

I thought the same thing... but where is it written that they changed "affected" for "targeted" ?

And also... someone could interpret the "target" of Drain Magic in this case to be every wizards on the table...
partly because something that is "affected" has first been targeted in some way or the other... even indirectly I'd say

Anyways, I'm just trying to figure it out because I play lots of games against High Elves and with the new Lizardmen book (that's my army), it is said that the Slann could get MR (3)...

If there's anything new let me know plz

Thanks again...

Kalandros
26-01-2009, 00:09
The spell is very clear: The magic lores are affected, there is no wizard targetted by this at all.

The Errata is in the FAQ documents found on any GWShop Website.

Manowarhammer
26-01-2009, 01:36
Ok ok...

gdgafkjgkdjgfdjgkjgsdfkjg adfkadkf adfvkdav

nosferatu1001
26-01-2009, 07:56
And yes the Slann can get MR(3) as one of his 4 upgrades.

I would however suggest All spells, free PD and all wizards in line of sight and 24" discards 6s when casting. Stopping IF (except where BoH is used) is a great ability, and dictates your opponents movement. You can then pick a 4th if you want or save the points ;)

The errate is specifically the BRB Part 2 document - and clearly the spell does nto directly [Itarget[/I] the wizard, it only affects the wizard post casting.

(they also confirm that large sized models in mixed units DO count as more than one model for the purpoise of calculating ranks. This is also backed up by the new Lizardman booking explicitly stating it)

AramilSairSianontel
26-01-2009, 08:16
The new Faq of Jan 2009 states that :
‘The number in the brackets indicates the
maximum number of extra dice that may be rolled
when trying to dispel each spell that is targeted
against the magically resistant unit.’
i think that makes it clear