PDA

View Full Version : Characters Joining Units Re: Orcs & Goblins

Boduddley
26-01-2009, 00:23
:confused:

I have a couple of clarification points?

Can Orc & Goblin Characters join either/both Orc and/or Goblins units?

Please cite the Rule book page and/or Orc & Goblin Army book page that explains this!

If the WAAAGH, called by the General [player on page 17] and the WAAAGH magic spell [page 41] are suppose to be so different, why are they called the same thing, the WAAAGH?

Again I would like to have an intelligent clarification regarding the WAAAGH.
Please cite the actual GW explanation, or Rule book page and/or Orc & Goblin Army book page that explains this!

:)

Nurgling Chieftain
26-01-2009, 00:44
Orc and goblin heroes are characters, and can therefore join units. As nothing forbids them from joining units of each others' type, they may do so freely. ...The bases won't fit very well, though.

As to things named "WAAAGH", we're just lucky they didn't name everything in the codex "WAAAGH".

I cannot cite explanations that do not exist - you're basically asking about things that aren't there, rather than things that are.

Boduddley
26-01-2009, 01:18

So am I to believe that a WAAAGH is a WAAAGH and therefore they are interchangeable?

Or am I to believe that a WAAAGH is not a WAAAGH, but sometimes it is, but only when it isn't?

Has GW ever tried to explain the differences and/or the similarities between a WAAAGH and a WAAAGH?

It's like trying to say that a Great Weapon is only a Great Weapon when it is not a Great Weapon! Hmmm... Yeah that makes sense, right!

Boduddley
26-01-2009, 01:24

"Orc and goblin heroes are characters, and can therefore join units. As nothing forbids them from joining units of each others' type, they may do so freely. ..."

So am I to believe that characters can join any units in the Army or only certain units in the army, and where does it explain this [either in the Rule Book or Orc & Goblin Army book?

Bac5665
26-01-2009, 01:49
This is explained in the BRB where it says that characters can join units. Orc characters and goblin characters are characters, and orc units and goblin units are units. For them not to be able to join each others units there would need to be a special rule. There isn't, so they can. Its that simple.

Nurgling Chieftain
26-01-2009, 02:33
Or am I to believe that a WAAAGH is not a WAAAGH, but sometimes it is, but only when it isn't?Exactly. The spell WAAAGH! and the army special rule WAAAGH! are two different things that just happen to share the same name. If there's any possible confusion between them (and usually context alone is sufficient to distinguish), you should specify which you mean.

So am I to believe that characters can join any units in the Army or only certain units in the army, and where does it explain this [either in the Rule Book or Orc & Goblin Army book?Characters joining units is a standard, game-wide rule desribed in the main rulebook beginning on page 79. There you will find most of the standard restrictions on what units a character can join, and what characters can join units (e.g. characters on flying mounts or chariots cannot normally join units, you can't join a monster like a giant, etc.). The O&G army book also has some specific restrictions, for example characters may not join squig herds (page 26).

Braad
26-01-2009, 08:58
I think the character thing is explained clear enough...

About the WAAAGH thing. 'WAAAGH' is just the surge of an orc army down the hill onto the unexpecting little village below.

Gamewise, this armysurge is available in two options. Because the effect of an armywide charge/march thing are the same, the name is also the same. However, one effect is in the special rules section, the other is a spell.
Nowhere is the special rules section related to the magic spells section, and nowhere do the WAAAGH-instead-of-animosity and WAAAGH-spell relate to each other. Therefore, they are not related. They just happen to share the same name and the same book. If your name is John, and your neighbours name is John, you still don't have to be related, you just share the same name and the same street. Confusion during the game is not really possible, since one effect is called for at the start of your turn, and the other is cast during the magic phase and each have their own effects described, which are quite different for each other.
There is no rule that says they are not the same, but there also is no rule that says they are. Therefore, I think the things I described above are quite enough to notice they are not the same thing.

I do understand what you mean though, but GW is very inefficient with this kind of stuff. Words for things accross book and in books vary all the time. Like with magic they say stuff like: cast, succesfully cast, attempted to cast, but only one of them actually is described in the BRB. So don't be too rigid with these kind of things.

Urgat
26-01-2009, 10:25
Confusion during the game is not really possible

You'd think :p I've seen people happily mixing the effects of the two, you'd think they're cheating, but no, they simply didn't get it.

Braad
26-01-2009, 10:46
Hmmm... Well, if you just follow the description from the book, it should be quite obvious... But yeah, I remember seeing questions like those before here on the boards.