PDA

View Full Version : new vc player

Scyllian
26-01-2009, 02:29
ok, so lately i have been interested in fantasy. yesterday i got a vampire counts battleforce and codex. i just want to know what to buy next. (preferably something that can beat ogres and high elves) thanks everyone

The Flaming Hand
26-01-2009, 10:16
As a vampire counts player since the beginning of the 6th edition i can recommend a unit of 20 grave guard, these can serve as a bodyguard for the general and these do normally work great against high elves because of their resilience. Of course you also need vampires in order to have a functioning army. Also i think Varghulfs,spirit hosts and wraiths are great against ogres.

Lijacote
26-01-2009, 10:28
Don't go overboard with things that eat ogres. Pretty sure everything in the VC book is on at least equal footing against ogres.

What do you want from your army anyway? Just victories?

vampires are cool!
26-01-2009, 10:36
Black knights are your friend - use a zombie block to soak up the charge of the ogres then flank 'em.

A note on infantry; these guys are the back bone of your army, never, ever, ever go into battle without at least fifty infantry models - zombies and skelotons, not the Guard. As the most expendable troops in the game you need lots to keep your army afloat and certainly against ogres you'll be loosing ten a turn on average.

Count Demandred
26-01-2009, 10:54
ok, so lately i have been interested in fantasy. yesterday i got a vampire counts battleforce and codex. i just want to know what to buy next. (preferably something that can beat ogres and high elves) thanks everyone

Another unit of Ghouls, at least.

Some Grave Guard will do nicely too, as would some Wraiths for the Ogres.

Guardian_A
26-01-2009, 12:23
There are ways to get a bunch of "Free" Zombies, Skeletons & Grave Guard too if you are interested. There is a little how-to guide here: http://battlereporter.blogspot.com/search/label/-%20Vampire%20Counts

Solasun
26-01-2009, 13:04
As an Ogre player I would like to say that with M6 I won't be charging your zombie blocks, I'd also not be charging your front.

The three Ogre Killers have all been mentioned, Regeneration and Ethereal units coupled with ItP. Which Vamps have in spades.

If you're looking for a decent unit against Ogres, pick something to counter M6 and that can support a charge with 3D6 pursue since bait and flee = Ogre staple.

grhino
26-01-2009, 13:23
Blood knight vs. Ogres = dead ogres... Bit expensive unit though!

Solasun
26-01-2009, 13:28
...MOST things vs Ogres = Dead Ogres. The post-VC books just exasperate this point. (6th Ed Vamps being one of the more balanced Ogre matchups.)

Ogre units are small, generally 3-4 Ogres, it's not hard to panic them with their Ld7.

Frankly
26-01-2009, 16:14

If you can proxy small games with units you might think suit your style of play that will help you alot on what to buy next.

Other than that, the best thing to done is to bulk up your core unit choices.