PDA

View Full Version : Warshrine?

PiousVanDorn
26-01-2009, 13:31
Hi Everyone,

I've started a warriors of chaos army and I'm looking for a suitable model for the warshrine; does anyone have any good ideas or seen anything they may look cool? I'm not too concerned about what mark it has - more it looks the part. A couple of people have suggested the corpse cart as a good place to start for a Nurgle shrine...

Any help/ideas appreciated

Van Dorn

Coram_Boy
26-01-2009, 13:36
I found something that could be nice at: http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/conceptart/CA0802_12.jpg

librerian_samae
26-01-2009, 13:41
I was toying with the idea of a Norsca, skegi maruder army and use a lizardmen captured steg with some groovy effigy on top.

Or for a nurgle warshrine I would use a mesh of nurgle lord and plague cart.

Both of these to me seem to have some merit.

For an Undivided warshrine if you fancied some work use a chariot and chaos knights and splice together for extra horses and a statute of some chaos hero.

Whitehorn
26-01-2009, 13:56
Corpse cart or chariot would make a good base structure.

The image in the book shows 2 horses, but the description only states a singular steed.

Rules-wise it is on a chariot base. Implication wise it has 1 steed and at least 2 warrior guardians. Other than that, free game!

trophy racks? chained demons? cauldrens of blood?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470321_99110212041_DarkElfCauldronMain_873x627.jp g

untimention
26-01-2009, 14:52
I have a warshrine, i could get a picture, it came in a WOC army i bought, the shell is a corpse cart, statue on the back, because of the spikes around the cart they have a shield on earch one, pulled by a chaos warhorse, and has two body guards.

Lewis
26-01-2009, 15:04
I'd go for a Tomb King chariot pulled by beastman gor...The old war shrines in Realm of Chaos were carried by beastmen and I rather like that idea...

PiousVanDorn
26-01-2009, 18:43
I do like the idea of it being pulled/dragged by marauders or gors! I'm still a bit peeved that GW split up the army books and there's no over lap between the forces of chaos anymore - i understand it but i guess i'm a bit old skool :)
The other idea i had was using daemons as Chosen and then having some kind of daemonic gateway as the warshrine model...

O&G'sRule
26-01-2009, 19:54
I'm doing a troll Army lead by throgg. One troll will be a troll wizard that uses the warshrine rules (boosts his own unit with "magic") The armybook says the shrine is counted as a monster so it works
The Gamezone Corpse cart is a great one for nurgle though

O&G'sRule
26-01-2009, 19:59
Corpse cart or chariot would make a good base structure.

The image in the book shows 2 horses, but the description only states a singular steed.

Rules-wise it is on a chariot base. Implication wise it has 1 steed and at least 2 warrior guardians. Other than that, free game!

trophy racks? chained demons? cauldrens of blood?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470321_99110212041_DarkElfCauldronMain_873x627.jp g

Where does it say "Rules-wise it is on a chariot base"? It doesn't say that.

The Red Scourge
26-01-2009, 20:49
Where does it say "Rules-wise it is on a chariot base"? It doesn't say that.

Nope. I read it more like a 50x50, as it is a monster :confused:

Shamfrit
26-01-2009, 21:14
It's a bit of both, from what I gather.

The general concensus is a chariot base, since a 50X50 is too small, that...

And the picture in the army book is of a chariot like contraption :p

O&G'sRule
26-01-2009, 23:05
consensus? who cares about consensus (though I can't remember being asked) the rules say monster so monster it shall be

Duke Georgal
27-01-2009, 02:17
I have an old Armorcast Khorn Cauldron Of Blood that I am planning to convert for mine. It looks a little cartoonish, but with some reworking, it should pass.

Duke Georgal
27-01-2009, 02:18
It's a bit of both, from what I gather.

The general concensus is a chariot base, since a 50X50 is too small, that...

And the picture in the army book is of a chariot like contraption :p

Everyone that I have seen have been on chariot sized bases.

I checked the Direwolf base size chart, but I could not find it.

Dranthar
27-01-2009, 03:12
You know, this seems to be yet another example of why GW should really start listing base sizes in the army books. For something so vitally important to the game, it's remarkable to me that GW hasn't remedied this.

Back on topic, I think that so long as it's on the correct base (chariot IMO) with about three models that can approximate the stat line of two Chaos warriors and a horse, I'd say you could do just about anything.

Personally I'm not too fond of the war shrine actually looking like a chariot. Too me it would be much cooler if it looked a little more static, like (eg) a monolith tended to by cultists (using the empire flaggelants box) and guarded by two Chaos Warriors. Moving it around during the game would be a little odd, but like many things, you could simply explain it away by saying "It's Chaos". :D

Eigolas
27-01-2009, 12:36
My Nurgle Warhsrine is converted from Skrag the Slaughterer, a bit of green stuff to give him some boils and a horn, with a pestilent colour scheme really worked for me.

I thought it would be cool to have something different from the chariot approach. I only have one Nurgle sorcerer in my chaos list, so i thought it would be like an ogre turning into a plaguebearer pulling along the sorceror's pestilent experiments.

I'll post pictures of him later when i've got home from work, though i haven't finished painting his base.

Gurunty
27-01-2009, 16:05
I'm building one from a very old jugger and a scratch build cart and altar. The whole thing will be teaming with familiars, etc and a million and one skulls :). Possibly add some tentacles or something to the alter if it looks a bit sparse when it's got that far...
The idea is to give it a mixed god look following the new fluff(ish, may just be my excuse for wanting a play around)
Anyway, it's about 70% constructed and 20% painted at the mo so may take me a while longer (I am notoriously slow at these projects :rolleyes:)

Emperor's_Spork
27-01-2009, 16:50
The GW scenery Siege Battering Ram isn't a bad foundation. My friend's plan involves dozens of legs supporting a basic platform piled with corpses. Sort of a centipede-nurgly-thingl

DeerHeart
27-01-2009, 18:37
I think the Warshrine is great, not so much for it’s in game awesomeness, but for the great converting and painting opportunity it offers. You’re really only limited by the base size.

It's pretty much wide open to your imagination and the bitz you have available. I was originally planning on doing one for each chaos god, but I’m pretty backed up with the rest of my army and some commission stuff. So all I’ve managed to produce is Nurgle one, so far. I’ve (attempted to…) attach some pictures…

The “horse” is my greenstuff interpretation of a plague beast, and the cart body is made of balsawood and plasticard. The rider is a marauder/zombie mix, and there’s a couple of nurglings on there to keep him company :)

Use your imagination, go nuts! Best of luck with your cart, and have fun.[/FONT]

vinny t
27-01-2009, 19:02
I would go with a stegadon (chaosey-corrupted monster) with a Sorceror on the howdah. Maybe GS some eight pointed stars on the stegadon's hide. Maybe pile some skulls at the Sorceror's feet.

Whitehorn
27-01-2009, 19:11
consensus? who cares about consensus (though I can't remember being asked) the rules say monster so monster it shall be

Just like a Corpse Cart you mean?

Phil kelly was asked, and he said the intention was to be on a Chariot base.

O&G'sRule
27-01-2009, 20:30
Just like a Corpse Cart you mean?

Phil kelly was asked, and he said the intention was to be on a Chariot base.

You ask any of the top bods anything and each gives a different answer. For example a space marine is generally said to be 8' tall, yet one of them says they are 7' others say 3 metres. I pay them no attention whatsoever. The rules say nothing of the sort, as long as there is a model that represents the warshrine on the table then that should do, It seems very narrow minded to see any chaos creation as something linear or standardised

Gurunty
27-01-2009, 21:46
So all I’ve managed to produce is Nurgle one, so far. I’ve (attempted to…) attach some pictures…

Nice work DeerHeart, like it :D

Warboss Antoni
27-01-2009, 22:02
I am making one out of a Plague Cart from Mordheim. I intended on having a sorceror manning it but it's just too cool of a model to convert for me. I am however changing to horses to a nurgly spawn with a hood, with chains in his back, which are attached to the shrine. And I will get some nurglings and scatter them around the base ( It comes with 2 big ones, one of which is a musician ). All I need to to is get the chains, and thn I can finish converting the spawn and all i'll need is some nurglings.

Aladin_sane
27-01-2009, 22:03
Well I will be going for a corpse cart base, getting rid of the wheels, smoothing the wood areas out for a hopeful marble look by the end. Maybe use some card or ply wood to bulk the platform were the shrine will sit, which I am currently envisioning as a rough crystal pyramid with a symbol carved onto it. At the front of the platform two chosen with halberds. The platform will be pulled by a Spawn which will be attached to the platform either by the corpse carts protruding wooden carrier that will impale the spawn, or some simple chains. My corpse cart is a tzeentch one by the way.

Lewis
27-01-2009, 22:26
Does anyone remember the warshrine that was in WD120 somthing based around the old chaos battering ram?

DeerHeart
28-01-2009, 15:08
Thanks Gurunty!

Neckutter
28-01-2009, 18:45
deerhart has an amazing model. :)

corpse carts would be my best idea for the thing. especially if it was in a nurgle army. however i see a ton of people marking their warshrine with tzeentch. my recent opponent used an old chaos steed from 5th, a tomb kings chariot carrying a 40k tzeentch banner(the new ones), and had a SUPER old chaos thug in the chariot.

TheWarSmith
29-01-2009, 03:34
The manager at the store i game at made the base out of a large floating rock(cut foam), and then mounted various things on top of that.