PDA

View Full Version : Characters refusing a challenge.

Benigno (WE)
26-01-2009, 14:44
The BRB says that a character that is not at the first rank cannot use magic items or abilities.

Now I have several questions:

A BSB with a War Banner refuses a challenge and is moved to the back rank:
a) The unit cannot use the +1 to CR of the War Banner because it is a magic item.
b) The unit cannot use the +1 to CR of the BSB because it is an 'ability'.
c) The unit (and units near the BSB) cannot repeat the break tests because it is an 'ability'.
d) The unit is a Ethernal Guard unit and loses the Stubborn rule because it is an 'ability'.
e) The banner is the Royal Banner of Ariel, the unit loses the Fear ability and no units near the BSB gain MR(1) because it is a magic item.

Which of those sentences are true or false? :confused:

theunwantedbeing
26-01-2009, 14:55
a) True.
b) Sortof true, they dont get the +1 as he isnt in the fighting rank
c) True.
d) False, this was errata'd as they get stubborn by being joined by the character, regardless of where he is in the unit.
e) True.

Benigno (WE)
26-01-2009, 15:03
Wow, thanks for the quick answer ^_^

Nurgling Chieftain
26-01-2009, 16:50
D is false because it's an ability of the unit rather than an ability of the character.

slasher
27-01-2009, 14:33
I thought it was if the character was not in the FIGHTING rank that they lost the abilitys??

Skyth
28-01-2009, 00:21
So it's pointless to give a Slaan a BSB if you have him in a unit of temple guard ;)

Necromancy Black
28-01-2009, 00:29
So it's pointless to give a Slaan a BSB if you have him in a unit of temple guard ;)

There are always army book exceptions :)

Nurgling Chieftain
28-01-2009, 00:30
Slann get specific exceptions. As do a few other models.

shadow hunter
28-01-2009, 09:22
Like Skaven.

Kalandros
28-01-2009, 11:29
I thought it was if the character was not in the FIGHTING rank that they lost the abilitys??

Not sure, that would make flanking and rear attacks a bit too good ;o
As long as they are in the front rank (the usual fighting rank) then they may use their abilities and items.

Cambion Daystar
28-01-2009, 15:03
Not sure, that would make flanking and rear attacks a bit too good ;o
As long as they are in the front rank (the usual fighting rank) then they may use their abilities and items.

How about this situation:

ongoing combat, unit is flanked, BSB moves to the side to participate in combat?

GranFarfar
28-01-2009, 15:11
How about this situation:

ongoing combat, unit is flanked, BSB moves to the side to participate in combat?

Then all is fine and working.

Skyth
28-01-2009, 17:45
Slann get specific exceptions. As do a few other models.

I didn't see an exception for the Slaan (In the current army book at least, not the one that is out next week) except allowing them to cast from the second rank.

That means they never give the +1 combat res for BSB. They can't give rerolls because they are hiding in the back ranks, can't use any magic items or abilities either.

Unless you found a rule that I didn't when I looked (Granted, I might have missed it)

Neckutter
28-01-2009, 18:16
its in there. somewhere, trust me. check out the rules for the slann section.

stripsteak
28-01-2009, 22:33
its right int he rules for 'guardians' under slann mage-preists. around page 43 (top). the slann is placed in the second rank and may still act as normal (cast spells, use items, be a bsb etc..

Skyth
31-01-2009, 14:03
I saw that in the new army book. I am talking about the old (6th edition) army book.