PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld dread help

petesamd
27-01-2009, 01:54
hello,

I was looking at the black Templar dread on Forge world, and Had a few questions.
1. are the arms from the AOBR dread the right size, because buying the arms would kill me.
2. The FW catalogue says the BT dread is $48.00, yet on the site "dollars to pounds" it says its $32.84, which will I be paying.
Thanks for the help!

Petesamd

Inquisitor Engel
27-01-2009, 02:01
The guide was printed when the USD/GBP exchange rate was nearly 2:1, it's currently 1.39:1.

dingareth
27-01-2009, 02:01
Forgeworld charges your card in pounds, and your credit card company then does the conversion, based on the daily mid-rates. Plus a small fee for the effort usually, so add 1-2 dolalrs to whatever the conversion site says. I use XE (http://www.xe.com) whenever I need a calculation.

I actually just put in an order for an Iron Warriors dread with arms, and it ended up being cheaper than GW's ugly metal one, so now's a great time to buy from England.

Epicenter
27-01-2009, 03:04
By the way, if you buy the model ordering it or purchasing it from a Battle Bunker or something, you'll have to pay the dollars cost in the catalog no matter what. It's only if you order it directly from forge world that you can get in on various currency exchange shenanigans.

Also: Don't forget to figure in Forge World's exorbitant shipping.

Also Part 2: If you're ordering using a credit card, you probably want to call your bank in advance and warn them about the weird UK order that'll soon appear on it.

starlight
27-01-2009, 03:24
There's currently a whole Thread dedicated to the realisation that the exchange rate has made FW a huge deal compared to regular GW pricing, depending on where you live...

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180168

Laser guided fanatic
27-01-2009, 07:19
Lucky americans get cheaper FW!

Mewy
27-01-2009, 07:22
The arms are the right size, the sockets may not be though. Easily fixed with a magnet or two or a blob of blutac considering you may want to have the option of swapping or removing them.

Lungboy
27-01-2009, 11:16
The arms are the right size, the sockets may not be though. Easily fixed with a magnet or two or a blob of blutac considering you may want to have the option of swapping or removing them.

This works the other way around (FW arms on AoBR body) but not the way the OP is suggesting, as the sockets on the AoBR arms are tiny compared to the resin bit you attach them to. You'd either need to completely remove the resin bit, in which case the arm won't fit properly, or file the resin down to a thickness that will allow it to fit into the plastic socket.

Cherubael
27-01-2009, 11:24

No they pay 39% more than we do. Plus shipping. Still a fair bit cheaper to get FW in the UK.

Binky
27-01-2009, 12:05
No they pay 39% more than we do. Plus shipping. Still a fair bit cheaper to get FW in the UK.

Well, they may pay 39% more in dollars, but that doesn't actually mean they pay more in real terms it's just a bigger number.

Difference in postage isn't huge either 12% for the UK, 15% for the rest of the world.

march10k
27-01-2009, 15:41
Also Part 2: If you're ordering using a credit card, you probably want to call your bank in advance and warn them about the weird UK order that'll soon appear on it.

...only if the bank is nervous about the account. I've never had a problem swiping my card in the bazzars of Baghdad or buying donkey prawns from dubious websites (whoops, did I say that?) ;)

Well, hold on a minute. We get FW cheaper than we got FW a year ago, sure. But do we get it cheaper than the UK get it? I don't know. How does a fully kitted dreadnaught compare in price, FW vs. GW, in the UK and in the US? If we use GW pricing as our metric, and FW is cheaper in the US, GW cheaper in the UK, then you're right, we are getting a great deal. But if GW is 5% cheaper than FW in the UK, and has gone from being 40% cheaper to "only" being 15% cheaper in the US...then we're not really getting a better deal than you, we're just getting screwed a little less than usual.

RCgothic
27-01-2009, 16:15
A Black Templars Dreadnaught is a MkIV dreadnaught.

GW plastic dreadnaughts are MkV.

I accidentally bought mkIV CCWs for my dreadnaughts and discovered that the resin shoulder pieces were smaller than the stock GW ones and the sockets were differently sized. (too big for the plastic I think). As such there was a small amount of converting involved.

The AoBR Dreadnaught is a mkV dreadnaught and so the arms for it probably won't fit on Black Templars MkIV Dreadnaught without some converting.

BigBadBull
27-01-2009, 17:39
the AoBR dread arms only fit the AoBR dread... they won't fit any other GW/FW Dread without modifications.

I think the only other dread like that is the Newer GW Venerable one that is all metal. The arm pegs are a wee to bit big and long compared to the other IV and V dread arms.

I have several of the mk v and Mk iv fw dreads and multiple different arms...
So ask away. DO try to match Mk IV arms with any of the Mk IV chapter specific Dreads. the MK V's just don't look correct with the angles and details.

Epicenter
27-01-2009, 18:01
...only if the bank is nervous about the account. I've never had a problem swiping my card in the bazzars of Baghdad or buying donkey prawns from dubious websites (whoops, did I say that?) ;)

My spending habits are usually like less than $100 on various electronics goods.

Then, one day, $1200 order from the UK drops on my card.

Needless to say, my bank wasn't amused. ;)