PDA

View Full Version : The Inquisitors Own - Guardsmen

Mindless_Destruction
28-01-2009, 08:27
hey guys

ive just bought the daemonhunter codex and am soon to start guardsmen.
so heres what im thinking:
The Inquisitor raised up the 81st Vostroyan Firstborn as his own secret guard regiment.
He often calls upon other Vostroyan Regiments (Tank and Artillery)
during a campaign (yet to think of one) the inquisitor and his retinue made his own secret regiment; the 81st. He also called for a vindicare assassin who eventually won the campaign. later on in the campaign he called for the remains of a titan legion (2 warhounds and a reaver).
the campaign is on the planet where the inquisitors fortress is (stormtroopers)
so thats all i have any ideas suggestions comments etc.

The Judge
28-01-2009, 08:41
Raising a Guard regiment would be fine, but remember that the Assassins and the Titans would never be put under the direct command of the Inquisitor permanently. They can be in the army fine, just not under his permanent command like the Guard would be (as his personal regiment).

Ikkaan
28-01-2009, 08:45
Some Inquisitors sure have the authority to pressgang entire regiments for a given task...im still unsure which sense it would make to permanently take control of an regiment...that inquisitor should rethink if he is better suited to be a guard commander.

Your idea is feasible, but the creating a secret regiment is unnecessary. He could just require an existing regiment and simply order them to stop logging their actions. Creating a regiment that came from nowhere and is going to nowhere has little point since the value of the regiment is rather low (its just a bunch of humans) - beside the expensive equipment of course. Plus, its rather difficult to keep a whole regiment isolated.

Allen
28-01-2009, 10:56
According to fluff, an Inquisitor use the 99.99999% of his time in covert operations, investigations, trials, political scheming and so on.

GW dropped the tabletop Codex: Daemonhunters and Codex: Witch Hunters just to sell a bunch of good miniatures. Conventional military warfare is not exactly the best choice of actions for an Inquisitor. They are political animals.

This does not means they don't command armed forces to smithe the enemies of Him on Earth...it happens, but not really often. Having a whole regiment (2000 or more trained soldiers with their equipment, plus support vehicles, plus infantry fighting vehicles, plus attached tanks and so on) dedicated permanently to a single Inquisitor is really too much. Let's not talk of titans (?!) and stormtroopers.

Such valuable resources are called upon only when the Inquisitor knows his more subtile methods can't cope with the situation. An Inquisitor does not usually reason like: can I declare Exterminatus on that planet? No? Can I land with three regiments, titan support and a chapter of space marines? No? Well...can I investigate at least? Yeah? Fine.

Undercover actions and investigations are usually the first choice. Having a regiment of Guardsmen, some titans and whatnot permanently attached to his entourage means that probably your Inquisitor loves lots of dakka and explosions. Maybe he choose the wrong job...General of the Guard could be a better option.

laudarkul
28-01-2009, 11:30
The Inquisitor have no authority over Adeptus Mechanicus. Titans semi-legions or legions will be under a princeps authority and will be allied with an =][=. After the mission is over the AM forces will retire to their home world, or will be position on the new world if that planet is under Mars authority/present some interest to them.
An Inquisitor can and will take under his authority all the military forces required to succeed in his mission. Usually an =][= have a retinue from 10-few hundreds (Torquemada Coteaz) retinues (which can work under cover of course).
His first/main task is o destroy the menace to the Imperium. If he and his troops are not enough, then he can proceed requesting all the manpower necessary (In Apocalypse book there is a =][= force formed from Adeptus Astartes+SoB+IST)

Allen
28-01-2009, 12:08
The Inquisitor have no authority over Adeptus Mechanicus. Titans semi-legions or legions will be under a princeps authority and will be allied with an =][=. After the mission is over the AM forces will retire to their home world, or will be position on the new world if that planet is under Mars authority/present some interest to them

Correct, but the Inquisitor need to convince the Ad Mech to place their resources under inquisitorial command. The Adeptus Mechanicus is effectively a separate organization, a state within the Imperium. They are allies of the Imperium, not subjects. An Inquisitorial Seal means little to them...the Imperium have no direct control over Ad Mech business.

An Inquisitor can and will take under his authority all the military forces required to succeed in his mission. Usually an =][= have a retinue from 10-few hundreds (Torquemada Coteaz) retinues (which can work under cover of course).
His first/main task is o destroy the menace to the Imperium. If he and his troops are not enough, then he can proceed requesting all the manpower necessary (In Apocalypse book there is a =][= force formed from Adeptus Astartes+SoB+IST)

There's no standard number for an inquisitorial retinue. Novels clearly states that a lot of inquisitorial aides are effectively a "dormant agents": they're not permanently active as a part of a retinue, but they're summoned only when their help/expertise is needed.

Several novels depict the core of an inquisitorial retinue (the aides always following a senior inquisitor) circa below the dozen. There are some other "contacts", but a retinue of 100 or more people seems impraticable for what is effectively an investigator.
Torquemada Coteaz is an Inquisitor Lord, his fame reaching every corner of the galaxy. It's like saying "Warmaster Slaydo commanded hundreds of Guard regiments during the Sabbat Crusade...every Guard General commands hundreds of regiments".

Col. Tartleton
28-01-2009, 13:59
If I was an inquisitor I'd use a more disassociated method of a sizable number of splinter cells acting through mediums to create pressure on the in question imperial government (various forms, assassinations, terror bombings, fake chaos cults, and economic attacks like counterfeiting) to observe its response through a number of infiltrating handpicked actors/spies who took up medium level positions in the governing bureaucracy.

Pretty much I kick back and wait for results and function as a spymaster to a few hundred agents in the field. Then if the reports show corruption of the regular nature I deploy dozens of two man teams to knock off the corrupt elements and allow the good and conscientious members of government to take over.

If Chaotic corruption of Xenos subversion is the cause of the problems then covert military strikes on the cults and cult agents should cull the problem. If its a full infestation then calling in a few hundred IG regiments should with space support cull the infestation in short. That's pretty much the way I'd do it. Being more of a head of operations than a on the ground investigator. This way I could observe the problems on the entire planet rather than putting myself and the success of the mission in singular actions.

Allen
28-01-2009, 15:50
If I was an inquisitor I'd use a more disassociated method of a sizable number of splinter cells acting through mediums to create pressure on the in question imperial government (various forms, assassinations, terror bombings, fake chaos cults, and economic attacks like counterfeiting) to observe its response through a number of infiltrating handpicked actors/spies who took up medium level positions in the governing bureaucracy.

Pretty much I kick back and wait for results and function as a spymaster to a few hundred agents in the field. Then if the reports show corruption of the regular nature I deploy dozens of two man teams to knock off the corrupt elements and allow the good and conscientious members of government to take over.

If Chaotic corruption of Xenos subversion is the cause of the problems then covert military strikes on the cults and cult agents should cull the problem. If its a full infestation then calling in a few hundred IG regiments should with space support cull the infestation in short. That's pretty much the way I'd do it. Being more of a head of operations than a on the ground investigator. This way I could observe the problems on the entire planet rather than putting myself and the success of the mission in singular actions.

The problem is that even if "by law" Inquisitors have very high powers this does not means they always get what they want. Officially an Inquisitor could control the military resources of a whole planet simply "demanding" it.

In reality (well, to be honest in fluff) the Inquisitors need to do a lot of political scheme before and after "demanding" something, because the power of the Inquisitorial Seal is not enough. Inquisitors yelling "give me three regiments of PDF, in the name of the Emperor!" probably will receive such regiments, but not exactly when needed.
Every single novel about Inquisitors shows them putting whoever they're talking with in a position where they can't say "no"; they are almost never portrayed as one-dimensional characters waving a badge and screaming "Exterminatus! Exterminatus because I say so!". It's a more complex, mature view of the 40K universe that can't be stuffed in a Codex where junior Inquisitors simply land on planets and burn at the stakes whole continents just because they have an inquisitorial rosette and no-one dare to say something at the guy with the creepy badge.