PDA

View Full Version : Rank bonuses

Masters of Ulthwe
28-01-2009, 18:57
Hi, sorry if this is an old subject but i couldn't find anything in the search.

If a unit has partially crossed an obstacle, so it has two ranks in front and two behind, and then was charged by the enemy. Would it get +1 or +3 to the resolution for rank bonuses?

As an afterthought, would the ranks behind the obstacle take any wounds?

Many thanks, Martin.

Bac5665
28-01-2009, 19:15
It would get the full rank bonus of +3. The ranks are still there, and there is no rule I know of that obstacles change that.

I don't have the book in front of me, but is a unit even allowed to be in that formation, (i.e. split across an obstacle?) Again, I can't think of one, but they come up so rarely in my gaming club, so I'm not as familiar with them as I am other rules.

Masters of Ulthwe
28-01-2009, 19:26
It would get the full rank bonus of +3. The ranks are still there, and there is no rule I know of that obstacles change that.

I don't have the book in front of me, but is a unit even allowed to be in that formation, (i.e. split across an obstacle?) Again, I can't think of one, but they come up so rarely in my gaming club, so I'm not as familiar with them as I am other rules.

It's not a position i'd want to put myself in but i think it is possible.

enyoss
28-01-2009, 21:29
No, it's not a good position to find yourself in really.

Now for the real reason I'm posting (;)), I like the way your location has succumbed to the good old S****horpe phenomenon Masters. That plagued me for years :D.

Cheers,

enyoss

EDIT: Ha! It even censored my post... archaic, I tell you!

EldarBishop
29-01-2009, 02:33

The only way this would likely happen, is that the unit was crossing the obstacle and just didn't have enough movement to fully cross it... Then in the opponents turn they were charged. Yes, this should be a very rare occurrence, but it is possible. (I can't remember seeing it happen more then once or twice since I started played about TWENTY years ago :D).

Fellblade
29-01-2009, 06:15
The only way this would likely happen, is that the unit was crossing the obstacle and just didn't have enough movement to fully cross it... Then in the opponents turn they were charged. Or were fleeing and ended up half way across the wall, rallied, and were charged again.

As far as I know you get your entire rank bonus. I've never seen anything to imply terrain removes ranks.

Braad
29-01-2009, 06:43
I had a unit halfway a wall at the end of my turn, last sunday. Thankfully, they could not be charged.
But they remain one unit. Nothing in the rules says such a bit of terrain having the ability to do that, so it doesn't loose any rank bonus.