PDA

View Full Version : 1st Attempt at a Dwarven Throng

Djekar
29-01-2009, 07:09
I have a pair of buddies who are looking to unload their stunties, so I thought I'd draw up a list or two and play a few games and see if I could help them out with some monetary compensation for their models. I am using only models that they have, and I think that this is pretty solid, but I haven't faced a lot of the short b-tards in 7th, so I'm not sure about that. Let me know how to tweak this por favor.

Also, I would like to avoid making a straight gunline if at all possible, but I know that Dwarfs tend to lean that way.

Runelord: Anvil, 2x RoSpellbreaking, RoStone, Shield
Thane: Great Weapon, MRoGromil
Thane: BSB, MRoStromni Redbeard -

19 Dwarf Warriors: Full Command, Shields
20 Longbeards: Full Command, Shields
10 Thunderers: Shields
10 Warrior Rangers: Great Weapons

10 Miners
10 Miners
Bolt Thrower: Engineer, RoPenetrating
Bolt Thrower: Engineer, RoPenetrating, RoBurning
13 Ironbreakers: Standard, Musician, RoBattle

Organ Gun

Total: 2250
PD: 2
DD: 7
Drops: 7
Models: 117

~Guitar

Malorian
29-01-2009, 14:27
Rangers are fairly useless. They used to be able to move through woods without penalty, but now they don't. This means it's hard to put them in a place that's useful and if you do put them in woods then you'll be moving 1.5 inches.

Iron breakers are nice, but hammerers with shields are better. Have a 2+ save rather than a 3+ is nice, but having the option of a great weapon and being stubborn is just so much mroe useful.

Makarion
29-01-2009, 14:57
I realize that you may not have the models available, but your units are quite small - too small in all likelyhood. I'd drop the miners to a single, smaller unit and use them as proxies to fill out the warrior unit to 25 (24 plus character), and the hammerers (Malorian's advice is sound).

The rangers *can* be useful, but only with crossbows in my opinion.

Djekar
30-01-2009, 06:47
So if I drop the Miners to one group of 8 (I realized this morning he only has 8, not 20 - I was looking at the primed and unpainted models) and add in 5 Warriors and 4 Longbeards, dropping the Rangers as well (I must admit I missed the fact that they weren't skirmishers!), that leaves me with 149 points left. I was wondering if you guys thought I should go for a flame cannon and another random dwarf, or if I should beef up the Ironbreakers/Hammerers? Perhaps a third option of awesome that I am, as of yet, unaware of?

Thanks for all the help already guys!

~Rice

happy_doctor
30-01-2009, 12:47
Ok, some comments on your list, from a different point of view:

-Runelord: You might want to consider dropping a scroll, 7 dispel dice are decent enough as magic defense anyway.

-BSB: I don't find your list build optimum for the master rune you're using. In my opinion, you have to get as much static CR as possible with your main blocks, so as to fully exploit that +1 from the banner. Plus, you'll have to be really careful with the Thane, as he's quite vulnerable.

-Warriors: boosting them to 25 is a good idea, but 20 work well for me too. In this army there are other things bound to receive the attention of magic and shooting and your miners will make sure that the artillery gets silenced early on. Thus, you can keep them 20-strong with impunity.

-Longbeards: 20 is already too much in my book; you're paying 60 points for a rank and 5 extra bodies, when you could have a rune of battle and a rune of stoicism for 50 points, giving you a static CR of +2 that you can't lose to shooting. I'd go for 15-strong, but never over 20...

-Rangers: Don't drop them, just make them quareller rangers. They are great in so many ways! Depending on the terrain placement, you can scout them ahead behind houses, forests or hills, without needing the skirmish formation. What's even more important is the ability to react to your opponent's deployment after he deploys his whole army. Finally, their combat potential is as great as that of the warriors and they have the added bonus of long-ranged shooting.

-Miners: You have to decide the battlefield role these are going to perform. If you want them solely for warmachine hunting, then units of 5 will suffice. However, as a support unit they have to be 10 strong for various reasons: a)A potential +1 to CR from their rank, b)greater chance they'll be US 5 or more by the end of the game in order to contest a table quarter, c)being able to take out small support units such as fast cavalry and skirmishers due to the rank-outnumber combination.

-Ironbreakers: I say keep them. The 2+ save makes them so much more resilient against heavy cavalry and you really don't want them to lose combats, so stubborn is a way to admit that they will all die a horrible death. Go for 15-strong, so that you can either deploy them 3 deep or 2x7 for maximum attacks. Rune of battle is a wise choice, I'd add the rune of stoicism if you don't use it on your longbeards.

-Organ Gun: Don't like it so much, I don't get the whole hype with the organ guns. There is nothing an organ gun can do that a flame cannon with a well-placed shot can't. Plus, you get instant panic checks, force look-out-sir tests, cancel regeneration and cause D3 wounds.

Guy Fawkes
31-01-2009, 02:31
Here's what I would do.

Thane: BSB, MRoStromni Redbeard

This guy is a bit expensive and will have trouble staying alive. The +1 to other units isn't the best option when said units will lose a +1 just from a single casualty. I'd keep him as a BSB, because the +1 CR to one unit and the reroll for Ld. is more than enough to validate his existence.

As others have said, make them Quarrellers so that they won't have to depend on getting into combat to be useful. I'd stick shields on them too, because having a good armor save is important when there are only ten of them.

10 Miners
10 Miners

I'd drop these down to minimum-sized units. In fact, I would only field a single unit of Miners. Yes, you reduce the reliability of them, but with 10 Quarreller shots, two units of Miners will probably be more than you need on the other side of the table. Not too many armies hold more than a couple mages or warmachines back anyways.

Organ Gun

I'd drop this for a Grudge Thrower. The Organ Gun generates more kills at close range, but nothing can quite even the odds over the game like a Grudge Thrower. The blast can help, when combined with the Thunderers, to take out several ranks and give you a CR bonus. Also, the Grudge Thrower is very useful for taking out warmachines, by destroying all the crew. Finally, I just feel it adds more to your list and addresses things that the rest of your army will have trouble with. Your Thunderers can take out fast cavalry and Bolt Throwers can shoot monsters, chariots, and Knights, but you don't really have a good anti-horde weapon. The hard hit can take out infantry with a decent armor save - I've dropped 4+/3+ infantry before, and these tend to be expensive.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
31-01-2009, 06:24
SNIP

I'd drop this for a Grudge Thrower. The Organ Gun generates more kills at close range, but nothing can quite even the odds over the game like a Grudge Thrower. The blast can help, when combined with the Thunderers, to take out several ranks and give you a CR bonus. Also, the Grudge Thrower is very useful for taking out warmachines, by destroying all the crew. Finally, I just feel it adds more to your list and addresses things that the rest of your army will have trouble with. Your Thunderers can take out fast cavalry and Bolt Throwers can shoot monsters, chariots, and Knights, but you don't really have a good anti-horde weapon. The hard hit can take out infantry with a decent armor save - I've dropped 4+/3+ infantry before, and these tend to be expensive.

I will second this. I cannot make a Dwarf army without a Grudge Thrower, generally with a Rune of Accuracy. It is good against big blocks, but don't be shy about firing at heavy cav. Bolt throwers really only work against cav. with a flank shot, but the Grudge Thrower also negates armour saves and so can wreck a unit of cav. from any angle.

FredNo1
31-01-2009, 08:57
I have a pair of buddies who are looking to unload their stunties, so I thought I'd draw up a list or two and play a few games and see if I could help them out with some monetary compensation for their models. I am using only models that they have, and I think that this is pretty solid, but I haven't faced a lot of the short b-tards in 7th, so I'm not sure about that. Let me know how to tweak this por favor.

Also, I would like to avoid making a straight gunline if at all possible, but I know that Dwarfs tend to lean that way.

Runelord: Anvil, 2x RoSpellbreaking, RoStone, Shield
Thane: Great Weapon, MRoGromil
Thane: BSB, MRoStromni Redbeard -

19 Dwarf Warriors: Full Command, Shields
20 Longbeards: Full Command, Shields

10 Miners
10 Miners
Bolt Thrower: Engineer, RoPenetrating
Bolt Thrower: Engineer, RoPenetrating, RoBurning
13 Ironbreakers: Standard, Musician, RoBattle

Organ Gun

Total: 2250
PD: 2
DD: 7
Drops: 7
Models: 117

~Guitar

in a non competitive enviroment it might work semi good.

if u face ppl who are competitive and take strong lists ur in for a world of hurt.

first of all dwarfs have 1 warmachine thats very cheap and very reliable: blt thr 60 pts per piece for bs 4 blt thrs is awesome (eingineers), field atleast 4 of these babies, and add as much as 8 of them

then take 2 gyrocopters and dwarf war units.

This will give u an army with very strong shooting (with 4 guards per machine all stubborn) , decent infantry (3 large blocks dwarf warriors)

and 2 gyrocopters for awesome harassment and march blocking.

1 dude in my gaming grp fields this list vs my brets, awesome games

GoGorilla
05-02-2009, 15:42
FredNo1

I thought of building a 2250p dwarf army, but have no idea of how to build it. Can you (or some one else) post an army list here? I just want to get an idea of how a decent dwarf army should be built.