PDA

View Full Version : Which Warhound should be made into plastic?

Lucifer216
29-01-2009, 11:30
As the Stompa and Shadowsword have shown, GW is serious about bringing large models to Apocalypse. Given the fact that the Imperials are still in need of some non-IG firepower, it would be nice to see a plastic Warhound in some form. I'm curious to see which pattern you guys like the most. For me, it has to be the Mars pattern, as the curves scream Titan for me, while the Jackal and the Wolf class both feel a bit too blocky for my taste

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/matitan.htm

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/jackal.htm

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/wolfclass.htm

Radium
29-01-2009, 11:33
How about some more Xenos superheavies first?

But that's probably more wishful thinking, in which case I'd say mars pattern, that one looks the coolest by far.

Angelus Mortis
29-01-2009, 11:35
Duh... all of them. Make one pattern then weapons options. If these things went for $100-$130 a pop they would sell like hot cakes.

Lucifer216
29-01-2009, 11:39
On the plus side, if there were to do a Warhound, it could be swiftly followed by a Chaos accessories sprue, so you'd be helping out three armies at once (SM, IG and CSM).

I can't see how it would be that difficult to make Hierodules in plastic given that the LOTR elephant is considerably larger.

The Eldar could definitely use a mid-sized plastic superheavy, as could the Tau. The latter would be harder as they have no real equivalent, particularly as the Manta is up there with the Reaver in terms of size and power.

IAMNOTHERE
29-01-2009, 11:43
Not just 3 armies, the BA/BT/DA/SW not forgetting the DH and WH would all be interested.

SanguinaryDan
29-01-2009, 12:22
The Jackal is the most threatening looking of the bunch. The Mars looks goofy, almost as goofy as the Adeptus Titanicus version it's based upon. That and all those curved surfaces would be nearly impossible to make in a reasonably sized/priced plastic kit.

Deamon-forge
29-01-2009, 12:29
iv got a FW Jackal and would love a plastic version of that, i think GW could do it in plastic if they wanted to. around 7-8 sprues i would think. fringers crossed and we all pray!

even if GW added only 2 weapons to a kit, they could release other as like direct order only sprues, same with a Chaos sprue for it.

pookie
29-01-2009, 13:26
none of those 3, id sign up now for 2+ if they were the original Dog Headed ones.

can't_decide
29-01-2009, 13:28
People really want the Mars pattern? It's no where near as durable looking, or menacing.

azazel_fallenangel
29-01-2009, 13:33
SanguinaryDan is probably right. Though I prefer the Mars for it's curved looks, it's large round carapace would be near impossible in plastic sprue's(don't know how FW do it, never seen a disassembled one). The Jackal and Wolf classes would probably be a lot easier to produce in plastic.

Reflex
29-01-2009, 13:52
On the plus side, if there were to do a Warhound, it could be swiftly followed by a Chaos accessories sprue, so you'd be helping out three armies at once (SM, IG and CSM).

what about orks :D

also they are all pretty sweet.. i cant decide

Askari
29-01-2009, 13:53
The Mars Pattern for me, nice and smooth.

Though to be fair, if they release any Titan, I'll buy it.

blackroyal
29-01-2009, 15:26
Wolf Class is better looking. Much more "imperial" looking. Mars looks too much like a space marine for my taste.

burning crome
29-01-2009, 15:34
While i think this one going to be a long-long ways off with a few tec leaps in between. (possible on demand in store resin printing to save shelf space) it got to be the mar's it so much cooler.

StormWulfen
29-01-2009, 15:53
jackel pattern it looks so cool!

although if GW done one it would be mars because that is the "standard" titan

march10k
29-01-2009, 15:57
How about "none of them"? I'll bet that would get 50% of the vote...

StormWulfen
29-01-2009, 16:02
How about "none of them"? I'll bet that would get 50% of the vote...

yes but thats not an option is it

and if there were options for xeno titans i would pick one of them (i don't even collect a xeno army) coz there is too much imperial stuff being released in one go

Valo
29-01-2009, 16:11

I can't see how it would be that difficult to make Hierodules in plastic given that the LOTR elephant is considerably larger.

The Eldar could definitely use a mid-sized plastic superheavy, as could the Tau. The latter would be harder as they have no real equivalent, particularly as the Manta is up there with the Reaver in terms of size and power.

yeah a little sprue with some pointy peices would be perfect for renegade chaos armies....maybe a CC weapon option for a khornate version,sores and puss for nurgle....maybe some plastic boobs and a dominatrix whip for slaneesh.....hey,you got a nice titan!

as for the whole tau thing,tigershark ax-1-0....2 heavy raliguns....yeah..it can holds it own...

laudarkul
29-01-2009, 16:30
I would go for Mars pattern...I think it has a killing look.
But it is hard to believe that GW would go for a plastic Titan...I just hope that if they choose to do one, to make also all the weapons on a different sprue:).

qwertywraith
29-01-2009, 17:04
Mars pattern all the way. They have the technology right now to make plastic titans like it. It's just a question of designing the kit, and would it make money (yes).

As for non-imperial super heavies, many eldar super heavy tanks could easily be produced for the falcon chasis, but forgeworld probably already fills that demand. The smaller phantom titan (I think that's it) could be done in plastic and would be great. A nid bio-titan or Trygon would be awesome. I'd love to see some of the old nid-tanks like the Malefactor come back.

The problem with non-imperial stuff is it doesn't have as big a market, so they might as well let forgeworld do that part of the line.

Arador
29-01-2009, 17:20
SanguinaryDan is probably right. Though I prefer the Mars for it's curved looks, it's large round carapace would be near impossible in plastic sprue's(don't know how FW do it, never seen a disassembled one).
They do it with soft silicone rubber molds. You could maybe do the large curved pieces with injection molded plastic as well, though to make it properly you'd need slide molds.

O&G'sRule
29-01-2009, 17:36
its not going to happen so it doesn't matter

Boss Kopstud
29-01-2009, 17:46
My vote's for the Jackal pattern. I really like the Mac truck look of it.

Godgolden
29-01-2009, 18:24
Mars, because its simply better :)

silentsmoke
29-01-2009, 18:57
Mars pattern to go along my FW Mars Pattern

Laser guided fanatic
29-01-2009, 19:16
Another vote for Jackal because it reminds me of Metal Gear Rex from MGS and MGS4. Also prefer the sharp edges on it to the 'aerodynamic' curves on the mars.

Maine
29-01-2009, 19:26
SanguinaryDan is probably right. Though I prefer the Mars for it's curved looks, it's large round carapace would be near impossible in plastic sprue's(don't know how FW do it, never seen a disassembled one). The Jackal and Wolf classes would probably be a lot easier to produce in plastic.

Resin casts very differently, with solid filled pieces. This means large pieces can be made without worrying about warp, whereas large thin pieces of plastic can sometimes warp (my poor monoliths have been a pain to assemble). Resin moulds also allow for a limited amount of undercuts, as the mould is flexible silicon rubber and can bend and compress a bit. Plastic moulds, on the other hand, are heavy duty steel.

For example, the Hierophant's main body is one big solid piece. Attach limbs, head, tail, the secondary vents, and the extra spikes, and you're done.

As for my preference, Jackal or Wolf for me.

Vaktathi
29-01-2009, 20:28
Honestly, if the Chaos warhound got made into plastic...

I'd need a change of pants.

The Mars pattern is the coolest, and then all corrupted and embossed with Chaos stuff...oh man.

Sean
29-01-2009, 20:42
I'm gonna have to go with mars pattern because of my FW chaos mars pattern

loveless
29-01-2009, 20:56
Jackal pattern. It's the most "rawr-iffic" of them all.

Ganymene
29-01-2009, 21:21
I voted for the Mars pattern.

It is by far the coolest looking Imperial Titan.

Making it in plastic would be extraordinarily difficult, but totally worth it.

Grimbad
29-01-2009, 21:41

You forgot orks.

Fluxeor
29-01-2009, 21:58
Mars, i've hated the Blocky Imperial Titans since they 1st appeared in Epic ><

Norsehawk
29-01-2009, 22:06
I voted for Jackal since it would be easier to 'chaosify' it without having to grind off all the Imperial stuff from the Mars version. I like the eyes and face grill on the Jackal better than the Wolf as well.

kamedake88
29-01-2009, 22:40
why does it have to be limited to those three. I mean look at the difference between the FW Bane Blades and the Plastic Kit. Why not make a new variant the is just a generic version and have Citadel and FW make upgrade sprues that could sell as extras.

oh and to the poster who said its not economically efficant to greate a large model with all those curves, take a look at the Perfect Grade Gundam kits that retail for 120+ dollars. Google Gundam Perfect grade to see what I mean.

Darnok
29-01-2009, 22:47
If they'd restrict themselve to the current designs, I'd say "gimme a Jackal", as I prefer its look over the much softer Mars and the slightly more primitive Wolf class.

But I'd much rather get a new variant, as others have mentioned. There is no true need to stay with the designs Forgeworld did so far, and GW should try something slightly different. And be it only for those elitist FW nerds. :p

Dictator
29-01-2009, 23:08
Mars- because it is actually pretty.

Leftenant Gashrog
29-01-2009, 23:57
I voted Mars, not because I just absolutely love it, but simply because the web is full of examples (and templates) for scratch built Jackals/Wolfs - the Mars on the other hand looks way more involved to scratch build.

Koryphaus
30-01-2009, 00:03
Definately a Mars for me..

destroyerlord
30-01-2009, 00:36
My favourite has always been the Mars pattern, I just think its a nicer design. (Kind of like the newer eldar super heavys compared to the old ones).
I definitely like the wolf better than the jackal though (not that there is much difference). I do agree that the wolf/jackal would be a more likely model as far as casting is concerned, and it does look more 'imperial'. The mars pattern is supposed to be a 'pimped out' version, since mars is the home of the adeptus mechanicus and has the best of everything.

MajorWesJanson
30-01-2009, 00:39
I just bought a Mars, and am building it (much easier once the replacement pieces come in). I love how it looks, but it would be far harder to do in plastic than the Wolf/Jackal. If they make one, I imagine it would be similar to those two. Also, the wolf/Jakal difference is limited to the head, As a plastic, they could simply make two faceplates and some different pieces for the jawline, and you coyuld make either.

Arkondak
30-01-2009, 11:13
i voted for wolf, but honestly, as horrible as the plastic baneblade and shadowsword kits look compared to the forgeworld ones, and with all the random extra dakka death on the GW shadowsword i'd almost rather they didn't make a plastic titan. Forgeworld does a far better job on the large kits.

if i ever buy a baneblade it's gonna be a forgeworld mars pattern.

grissom2006
05-02-2009, 10:21
mars pattern warhound everytime the design speaks of a golden age for the imperium and it stands well with the reaver titan

silentsmoke
05-02-2009, 11:20
I was thinking that it would then make titans a normal thing that you see in peoples armies. It is good save on cost hut at the same time not good, as everyone would buy them. Maybe I want to be special!!

Aegesdotter
05-02-2009, 11:39
I vote for the Mars pattern, that it would be the canon for the empire.

Mojaco
05-02-2009, 12:05
Wolf Class is better looking. Much more "imperial" looking. Mars looks too much like a space marine for my taste.

QFT. Sharp edges is imperial, round and curved is ga... eldar.

mughi3
05-02-2009, 12:12
the wolf and jackal are basically the same with a little different head. since you can currently choose which weapons you want on the arms the standard variants(jackal anti-infantry/wolf anti-armor&heavy infantry) differ little.

my vote is for the wolf since i am a fan of the turbo lasers and full cockpit windows.

I'm a bit surprised by all the votes for the mars pattern, out of the 3 i think it is the worst looking with it's rounded carapace and armor plates.

Spacker
05-02-2009, 15:15
I've voted Wolf, although Jackal would have been fine too as there is very little difference. I already have a Mars pattern Chaos Warhound, and while I like the model as a Chaos piece I prefer the look of the Wolf/Jackal for the Imperials as the curved armour doesn't really fit with anything else.

Shadowphrakt
05-02-2009, 16:25
QFT. Sharp edges is imperial, round and curved is ga... eldar.

Yes...except these are Mechanicus...not Imperial...12 different factions :) Well, depends on which path you believe in. And all the original ecpi models had circular armour.

I personally think that no warhound should come out in plastic.

Whirligig beetle
05-02-2009, 16:33
Definitely Mars pattern, we can scratchbuild the blockier one easier! :p

Darkhorse
05-02-2009, 17:15
One with a plasma blastgun...
Shadowsword hull, bit of glue...
Plastic STORMBLADE!:evilgrin:

Logarithm Udgaur
05-02-2009, 17:53
You forgot to put Chaos on the poll, which is obviously my vote.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
05-02-2009, 18:31
Definitely Mars pattern, we can scratchbuild the blockier one easier! :p

What he said!

The mars pattern looks more like a relic of a lost golden age to me; a holy artifact from a time when humanity wasn't slowly losing every shred of technology they possess one STC at a time. Something I could picture hordes of mechanicus slaving over to keep it running, all the while only marginally understanding how it works.

Blocky is for stuff that the imperium can still mass produce, like a leman russ. Titans are from a bygone age of imperial might, and should look more sleek.

Epic Thoughts
05-02-2009, 22:34
I voted wolf pattern, but would easily switch over to a jackal. I like the blocky builds better then the Mars pattern.

tacoo
06-02-2009, 00:10
id say the jackel because titans are not about looking good, its about Practicality (had to look up how to spell that one!) ii mean why would they waste all that man power to look good when they could just say "screw it, the plates are already flat, just put them on". and even with looks, it looks like its mega bolter (or is it god bolter?) looks war too small like it has the retard arm out of its brothers.

but in all truth, id say screw the plastic warhound, make a ******* emporer class, i want to field 1 unit at 10,000 while you deploy your whole army.

Shipmonkey
06-02-2009, 07:27
id say the jackel because titans are not about looking good, its about Practicality (had to look up how to spell that one!) ii mean why would they waste all that man power to look good when they could just say "screw it, the plates are already flat, just put them on".

Actually titans aren't supposed to be all that practical. They're supposed to be physical manifestations of the might of the Machine God. More religious icon than an actual purpose built weapon.

Codsticker
06-02-2009, 14:43
The littlest one.

Wickey the Viking
08-03-2009, 08:43
I voted wolf pattern, but would easily switch over to a jackal. I like the blocky builds better then the Mars pattern.
Same here. They could inlude both head options in a kit though.
The Mars patern "curvedness" would be rather hard to do in plastic, in my humble opinion...

AndrewGPaul
08-03-2009, 09:25
According to the Forgeworld site, there's no such thing as a "Wolf pattern" or "jackal pattern" Warhound; they're both "Lucius pattern", with a slight cosmetic difference to the head.

I'd vote for a Lucius Pattern in plastic, with enough bits to make either the Jackal or Wolf head, and with plasma blastgun, inferno cannon, vulcan mega-bolter and turbolaser destructor arms.

Wickey the Viking
08-03-2009, 09:46
According to the Forgeworld site, there's no such thing as a "Wolf pattern" or "jackal pattern" Warhound; they're both "Lucius pattern", with a slight cosmetic difference to the head.

I'd vote for a Lucius Pattern in plastic, with enough bits to make either the Jackal or Wolf head, and with plasma blastgun, inferno cannon, vulcan mega-bolter and turbolaser destructor arms.
Indeed... it's: Lucius patern Wolf class and Lucius patern Jackall class.

What about a reasonable price? Baneblade/Shadowswords 60 pounds/95 euro's.
This one at 90 pounds, 150 euro's?

Ocid
08-03-2009, 11:05
I'd rather see the plastic thunderhawk come out first, Then give xenos some love with super heavies. Aside from orks do they have any plastic super heavys?

But in the case of a titan. Hmm would say a lucius pattern one. Solely for the fact i intend on getting a Mars pattern one in a few months. Mars pattern IMO looking much more cooler than the lucius one.