PDA

View Full Version : where do i find these weapons

souljaking09
30-01-2009, 02:46
is there some type of shotgun that i can use for my catachans

basically all the special weapons cuz they are not in any of the sets. another one i just thought of is the grenade launcher, melta, bolter, storm bolter. so there is a bolt pistol, bolter, storm bolter and heavy bolter.

Bloodknight
30-01-2009, 02:51
Shotguns: err...I don't know. Do SM scouts have shotguns in the set now? People used to use the Necromunda weapon sprue, but IIRC that one is OOP.

Special weapons: in blisters, I am afraid. The grenade launcher should be pretty hard to get unless you convert it with Catachan troopers and Cadian grenade launchers because the real Catachan grenade launcher model is a female and rarely found (or do they sell her regularly now?). I advise you to take a good look at the GW online store. :)

Koryphaus
30-01-2009, 02:52
Shotguns, dunno. I have a few from Necromunda kits. All of those can be found in a GW store, you should be able to buy them in blister packs. Failing that, mail order, or the Cadian kit.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

RampagingRavener
30-01-2009, 02:55
There are, indeed, plastic Shotguns in the Space Marine Scouts box. Probably best to try and pick them up from a Bitz ordering website, as 12 for five plastic shotguns is a bit steep.

Hicks
30-01-2009, 02:57
SM scouts come with shotguns, they wouldn't be too hard to convert to use with Catachans. Special weapons can be found on the Catachan and Cadian sprue, but the really good ones (meltas and plasmas) can be found on the SM tactical sprue.

EDIT: Too many ninjas on this thread.

souljaking09
30-01-2009, 02:58
it would be nice if GW made it a little easier to get some of these lost weapons. specifically the grenade launcher and shotgun. they seem too hard to get unless you have a cadian army or scout box.

Hicks
30-01-2009, 03:02
it would be nice if GW made it a little easier to get some of these lost weapons. specifically the grenade launcher and shotgun. they seem too hard to get unless you have a cadian army or scout box.

You mean like making special weapon sprues that could be used on many different kits? I think that would sell too well for GW to consider it.

Bloodknight
30-01-2009, 03:04
Try playing any of the metal Guard ranges. They all lack at least one special and/or heavy weapon (Mordians for example have no plasma gun model at all, and the Steel Legion doesn't have all heavy weapons). Catachans at least have interchangeable parts with the Cadians.
The thing with shotguns is that they are scarce in the Guard. While Veterans and Sergeants do have the option, they're rarely used, and no Guard unit (except the Catachan patrol teams in the DWV codex, IIRC, have them as standard armament).

souljaking09
30-01-2009, 03:13
is it legal for imperial guard to use plasmas. i was looking at the codex and didnt see anything about those.

i dont want that many shotguns, just a couple. they look cool. its not so much for the stats.

ehlijen
30-01-2009, 03:14
There are, or used to be, Catachan special weapon blisters, each with two random metal troopers armed with special weapons.

The only guard special weapons available in plastic are flamer (both ranges) and grenade launchers (cadians only). Only SMs have the full range available in plastic.

Shotguns: As said, scouts or converting. What you can do with the catachan flamers for example is to cut the muzzle off, cut off the lower barrel with the grip bit of the body, reattach it back to front (so that the grip bit is now in the front) and use some other round bit to add a new muzzle to the top barrel (bolter muzzles work nice) to get some decent looking shotguns. I've attached a picture (sorry for the horrible quality) that shows what I mean. The stock is a bit of eldar guardian antenna, but I'm sure the catachan sprues have something suitable as well.

Hicks
30-01-2009, 03:16
is it legal for imperial guard to use plasmas. i was looking at the codex and didnt see anything about those

It's mendatory! Command squads, infantry squads, veterans and storm troopers are some of the units that can take them.

souljaking09
30-01-2009, 03:25
i know its not mandatory considering most have lasguns, but there is a blister pack i just saw on GW. it comes with 5 plasma guns. i also saw the pack with 2 catachans. it said one has a flamer and the other a meltagun. i wonder if they have modifications though. there was another one with 2 men with heavy flamers. the last thing was 3 catachan snipers. maybe they come with shotguns like the scouts.

MrBigMr
30-01-2009, 04:53
I've turned some Scout shotguns into Catachans and worked out fine. As for grenade launchers, using Cadian ones with the Catachan HW squad torso with the jacket might work. Then the sleeves and shoulder armour wouldn't stick out, as it would look like he had a proper jacket loosely on him. Or why not make the launcher into a more M79 or HK69 type of a thing? Lasgun with a GL barrel from the trigger forwards should give a proper grenade launcher look, I think.

LoneSniperSG
30-01-2009, 06:28
i know its not mandatory considering most have lasguns, but there is a blister pack i just saw on GW. it comes with 5 plasma guns. i also saw the pack with 2 catachans. it said one has a flamer and the other a meltagun. i wonder if they have modifications though. there was another one with 2 men with heavy flamers. the last thing was 3 catachan snipers. maybe they come with shotguns like the scouts.

Plasma is mandatory. Even being a Space Wolves player, my Blood Claw assault squads have two Plasma pistols and a flamer each. My Grey Hunters have a melta and two plasma pistols as well. They're worth the risk even if your troops have a 5+ save.

The Grenade launcher arms have the Cadian flak armor on the shoulders, but you could easily shave those off to get a more Catachan look.

ehlijen
30-01-2009, 10:21
I have not hard of that 5 plasma gun box.
The catachan blister pack with two special weapon troopers used to be two random ones out of the four available.
the 2 heavy flamer ones are always heavy flamers. If you like them they can be used as just different flamers as well, but given that the catachan box comes with 4 flamers, I don't think you need them unless you know you want heavy flamers.
The catachan snipers are metal models and come with no alternate weapons.

Griefbringer
30-01-2009, 10:34
The Grenade launcher arms have the Cadian flak armor on the shoulders, but you could easily shave those off to get a more Catachan look.

Or cut the GL arm at the wrist and glue it to a regular Catachan arm cut also at the wrist. Use an arm with some sort of a wristband so the join will not be visible.

As for plasma guns/pistols, meltaguns, bolt guns/pistols and shotguns, as previously mentioned, loot your local space marine players bits boxes (try to look for something else to give in exchange, like spare heavy weapons or so). For storm bolters, the terminator ones might look a bit too heavy - you could try just glueing two regular storm bolters together.

Penguin of Death
30-01-2009, 11:10
Don't know how they'd fit as they're designed for properly proportioned 28mm

Shotguns http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Bloodknight
30-01-2009, 11:22
@ehlijen: it's not really a box. They sell bitzpacks of 5 plasma guns, 5 meltaguns etc, but they are the old SM metal weapons and thus a bit big for Guardsmen.

Griefbringer
30-01-2009, 11:32
Penguin of Death, I take it you meant these:

http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=388&cat=70&page=1

And AFAIK TAG models are "heroically" proportioned enough as they are, so those would probably look pretty passable on Catachans.

For my own shotgun needs, I am looting the arms from plastic Necromunda gangers, but that is not an option for most.

laudarkul
30-01-2009, 11:37
I do not know if this helps you but you can choose some stuff for weapons:
http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php?list=WG949

Griefbringer
30-01-2009, 11:52
Catachans with ice hockey sticks? That would be awesome, if they also get matching masks...

Or perhaps chainsaws and ice-hockey masks would be the way to go.

laudarkul
30-01-2009, 12:10
I did not think at the hockey sticks when I put that link. I did not intend to make laugh of Catachans, sorry if you understand that.

Blue Orphen
30-01-2009, 13:26
Plastic Scout Shotgun + Plastic Catachan = perfection.

EVIL INC
30-01-2009, 13:34
What I did to make my catachans with grenade launchers...
I used cadian launchers cut off at the hand. Then I attached a pistal grip so that it appeared to be a solid weapon. Then, I used the arm that is carrying a las gun by a handle on to of the rifle and cut off the rifle and attached the grenade launcher. This way, I have a man running and carrying a grenade launcher.
Not a dramatic firing pose but definately a grenade launcher catachan.

Griefbringer
30-01-2009, 14:24
I did not think at the hockey sticks when I put that link. I did not intend to make laugh of Catachans, sorry if you understand that.

But I was not laughing, but seriously thinking that Catachans with hockey sticks and chainsaws would look neat.

Perhaps not so practical for a 40K game, but rather for a Necromunda gang. Give them some shotguns for a firepower and pitch them into a scenario against a horde of plague zombies... that is the stuff that legends are made from.

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 00:11
I have not hard of that 5 plasma gun box.
The catachan blister pack with two special weapon troopers used to be two random ones out of the four available.
the 2 heavy flamer ones are always heavy flamers. If you like them they can be used as just different flamers as well, but given that the catachan box comes with 4 flamers, I don't think you need them unless you know you want heavy flamers.
The catachan snipers are metal models and come with no alternate weapons.

the 5 plasma guns is not a box, i just saw it on gamesworkshop.com thanks for tellin me whats metal though. they dont really tell you that on the website.

Hlokk
31-01-2009, 01:05
To the OP: What about catachan lasguns with boltgun muzzles and ammo clips, to make them into automatic shotties, rather than pump action ones:

Watch this as well:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7dKIZauSf5s

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 03:30
What I did to make my catachans with grenade launchers...
I used cadian launchers cut off at the hand. Then I attached a pistal grip so that it appeared to be a solid weapon. Then, I used the arm that is carrying a las gun by a handle on to of the rifle and cut off the rifle and attached the grenade launcher. This way, I have a man running and carrying a grenade launcher.
Not a dramatic firing pose but definately a grenade launcher catachan.

um, sounds awfully complicated just to get a grenade launcher. ill try to find an easier way, but i cant ill use your idea. thank you.

WhiteKnight
31-01-2009, 03:39
I would green stuff the lasguns to have grenade launchers like in modern military. Or what I did to make shotguns, saw off the barrel of the las gun and put the barrel of a bolter in front.

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 04:05
I would green stuff the lasguns to have grenade launchers like in modern military. Or what I did to make shotguns, saw off the barrel of the las gun and put the barrel of a bolter in front.

what is green stuff? is it clay? can i use it to make some type of cowboy hat type thing? i dont want all my catachans to have them. i just want a few to add some character to my army. maybe it could be used for moustaches too.

WhiteKnight
31-01-2009, 04:09
green stuff is a type of clay specifically made for GW modelling. You can find it at any GW store. It looks like those rubber bracelets but green and blue.

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 04:19
green stuff is a type of clay specifically made for GW modelling. You can find it at any GW store. It looks like those rubber bracelets but green and blue.

so i can use it for the stuff i mentioned? and you said green stuff, but there is blue stuff too?

chromedog
31-01-2009, 04:39
It's a two-part epoxy compound (yellow/blue) when mixed, it goes green.

This is then used to sculpt fabric, etc to cover or detail other models.

It's easy enough to turn lasguns into shotguns. Nothing says they have to be pump-action shotguns. They can be your traditional side-by-side double barrel or even an over-under (like for clay pigeon shooting).

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 05:16
im looking at my catachan boxes and just noticed one said to use dark angels green and the other said catachan green.????? what type of brown would be good for the pants and stuff. is calthan brown good?

Bloodknight
31-01-2009, 12:01
Use any green you want. The stuff they say on the box doesn't necessarily reflect what they actually used. An example for this would be the Dark Eldar vehicle boxes. They used to say Jade Green, and when they stopped selling that, they used the same photos and said it was Scaly Green. Needless to say, the green on there looks like neither. ;)

Remoah
31-01-2009, 12:35
To the OP: Scout Marine shotguns shouldnt be hard to come by. Look for someone who uses Scout Marines at your club/GW/store (excluding Sniper Scouts, as they come in a seperate box) and see if you can buy thier shotguns, since NOBODY uses scouts with shotguns anymore these days.

For Grenade Launchers: Take a standard Cadian GL, snip off the arms, leaving only the hand and launcher. Clip off a flamer and use the arms for that. Should fit. Or follow Evil Inc's idea. it's not really that complicated.

On Greenstuff: You're new yes? Probably best to stay away from Greenstuff for a bit, it's annoying to use. However, if you do wish to use it, make sure you read up and gather as much info as you can.
You're actually better off buying it off Ebay or from a Model Railroad store/website. Greenstuff is a Games Workshop branded Kneadatite (sp?), it's a two part expoxy/resin that comes in a strip of yellow and blue. It's clipped and then kenaded until it turns green, then you have around 3 hours to work with it. I only snip off a sliver at a time so don't go mixing up huge batches. However if you DO mix too much then it can be put in the freezer and it won't set. I have a small tub of GS in the freezer for that very reason.
Anyhow, GW charges something like $15 AUD for a 12 inch strip. I got 36 inches for $20, which is a fairly good deal. I went halves with a mate so it ended up costing us a relative $6.30 for 12", almost Half GW's price for the same product made in the same factory.

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 15:36
To the OP: Scout Marine shotguns shouldnt be hard to come by. Look for someone who uses Scout Marines at your club/GW/store (excluding Sniper Scouts, as they come in a seperate box) and see if you can buy thier shotguns, since NOBODY uses scouts with shotguns anymore these days.

For Grenade Launchers: Take a standard Cadian GL, snip off the arms, leaving only the hand and launcher. Clip off a flamer and use the arms for that. Should fit. Or follow Evil Inc's idea. it's not really that complicated.

On Greenstuff: You're new yes? Probably best to stay away from Greenstuff for a bit, it's annoying to use. However, if you do wish to use it, make sure you read up and gather as much info as you can.
You're actually better off buying it off Ebay or from a Model Railroad store/website. Greenstuff is a Games Workshop branded Kneadatite (sp?), it's a two part expoxy/resin that comes in a strip of yellow and blue. It's clipped and then kenaded until it turns green, then you have around 3 hours to work with it. I only snip off a sliver at a time so don't go mixing up huge batches. However if you DO mix too much then it can be put in the freezer and it won't set. I have a small tub of GS in the freezer for that very reason.
Anyhow, GW charges something like $15 AUD for a 12 inch strip. I got 36 inches for $20, which is a fairly good deal. I went halves with a mate so it ended up costing us a relative $6.30 for 12", almost Half GW's price for the same product made in the same factory.

greenstuff shouldnt be too complicated. ill make sure to only mix a small amount. it doesnt set unless you mix the two if i understand correctly. as for the shotguns, this is the one i was thinking of. is there a small pack of cadians that includes a grenade launcher by the way? i dont want to have to buy 20 cadians just to get a grenade launcher.
http://i.pbase.com/u11/fistula/large/6761378.FistulasCatachans.jpg

Bloodknight
31-01-2009, 15:45
Well, grenade launchers are not that popular, you should easily be able to trade some with any Cadian player.

Azhrarn
31-01-2009, 16:10
FW Elysian Special Weapon pack (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_ELYSIAN_DROP_TROOPS.html)
should give you every special weapon option you want, besides those Grenade launchers look badass. :D
No shotguns though, those are only available with models.

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 16:14
oh and i dont like the whole hockey stick thing to whoever posted that. if any one ever bought hockey players to fight my army i would refuse to play.

souljaking09
31-01-2009, 16:18
how much is E19.55 in U.S. dollars? who are the elysians anyway? why would they be sold on another website but not GW? that makes no sense to me.

dugaal
31-01-2009, 16:21
AA-12 Style shotgun using a GL, lasgun stock, and plas. pistol coil (could also use bolter stock)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/Stevix/shotty.jpg

Watch this as well:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7dKIZauSf5s
...wicked

boogle
31-01-2009, 16:24
The Elysians are sold by Forgeworld which is a subsidary company of Gw, they sell resin GW scale figures that plug gaps in the GW models range and also add to the ranges as well.

The Elysians themselves are the most famous Drop Troop regiment that GW have created, Forgeworld have expanded their background and also given them 2 sourcebooks with their own army lists.

As for Shotguns and Grenage Launchers, converting them usuing the mini guides given on this thread will probably be the best way forward for you. also i would suggest that you do a serch of the painting and modelling forums on here for other guides that may help you out

Bloodknight
31-01-2009, 16:27
Forgeworld is GW+1 ;)

The special weapons pack costs roughly 17 US$.

MrBigMr
31-01-2009, 16:32
I don't really get this whole obsession with the AA-12. It's not like the only automatic shotgun out there.