PDA

View Full Version : 2500 vampire counts tourney list

mtgbob
30-01-2009, 03:50
Planning on attending a tourney in march and I haven't played fantasy in a while so I was curious what you guys thought of the list.

Vampire Lord, skull staff, helm of commandment, summon ghouls, master of the black arts, forbidden lore; 450 pts

Vampire, sword of might, the flayed Hauberk, ghoulkin, summon ghouls; 180 pts

vampire, sword of battle, book of arkhan, dread knight, summon ghouls; 190 pts

Wight King, battle standard bearer, war banner, lance, barded skeletal steed; 157 points

10 Crypt Ghouls, ghast; 80 pts

15 Crypt Ghouls, ghast; 128 pts

5 Black Knights, Hell Knight, standard, Standard of Hellish Vigour; 177 pts

5 Black Knights, Hell Knight, standard; 152 pts

Varghulf; 175 pts

8 Cairn Wratih; 400 pts

Basic idea for hero placement is to place lord into the 10 ghouls unit and put the foot and mounted vamp into 2 seperate units or one unit, depending on opponent and wight king into the black knight unit with hellish vigour standard.

deployment will vary depending on what my opponent is playing but the basic idea is to put the ghouls in the center with the other units on the flanks.

What do you guys think? good? bad?

mtgbob
31-01-2009, 16:36
hmmm...:confused:

Due to the lack of feedback I'm either doing something right and the list is good and should perform admirably or I'm doing something very wrong and list wouldn't be able to fight its way out of a paper bag no matter what I do.

Any chance I can get a second opinion on this?:confused:

Any feedback would be much appreciated. :D

EldarBishop
31-01-2009, 16:43
Other then the huge unit of Wraiths (which is too big) I don't notice anything overly wrong with it [but it's hard to read].

Also, you might want to read the post rules for army lists... you should remove all item PVs, and just give unit totals. Also, a bit of cleaning up to make it more readable would help a great deal.

edit: Rules for posting army lists found here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76

mtgbob
31-01-2009, 17:41
Thanks for that, missed the rules on posting army lists. Just reworked the list to follow the rules hopefully others will be able to read it easier.

as for the wraiths, what would be an ideal size for them? 5? 6?

EldarBishop
31-01-2009, 17:55
Yeah, I'd probably do 4 or 5. They are so expensive, I've got 6 of them... I've only used them once thus far.

The Black Knights might have issues staying in "vamp marching" range. I'd probably stick with only two units.

Some Dire wolves for screening, re-direction, etc would probably be good.

Sure it's not on problem... everybody's new once :D

mtgbob
31-01-2009, 18:13
Actually I'm not a noob at all, I just haven't played fantasy in a long time due to a lack of finding anybody that plays the game. Most of the people play 40k in my area so I've usually been playing that but I find it fun to play fantasy too cause it adds a nice change of pace. :D

As for screening units, why not go for just raising a unit of zombies and use the points for other productive stuff?

Also, I don't think I'd have many issues with the knights being in range of a vamp due to the varghulf and the general's 12 inch range.

EldarBishop
31-01-2009, 18:42
I meant new on here...

Anyways, I just prefer to have fast cav screening to go with the knights. And I figured 1 Knight unit per flank would be sufficient.

I too play both, and more 40k then Fantasy... that's just the way it seems to be. Really too bad, because I find Fantasy to be the better game.

mtgbob
01-02-2009, 01:13
I meant new on here...

ah... sorry about that

anyways taking your suggestion pertaining to the cairn wraiths, what do you think of this list:

Vampire Lord, skull staff, helm of commandment, summon ghouls, master of the black arts, forbidden lore; 450 pts

Vampire, sword of might, the flayed Hauberk, ghoulkin, summon ghouls; 180 pts

vampire, sword of battle, book of arkhan, dread knight, summon ghouls; 190 pts

Wight King, battle standard bearer, war banner, lance, barded skeletal steed; 157 points

10 Crypt Ghouls, ghast; 80 pts

5 Black Knights, Hell Knight, standard, Standard of Hellish Vigour; 177 pts

Varghulf; 175 pts

5 Cairn Wratih; 250 pts

Still pretty straight foward and virtually the same, the only change is that is that I lowered the number of cairn wraiths and added one more unit of black knights.

I hope with the increase number of black knight units running around the flanks of my army, I hope to be able to have enough units small units that can deal with opposing flankers, get on to the flank of regiments, as well as accomplish whatever other misc. thing I need them to do.

EldarBishop
01-02-2009, 01:22
Personally, I'd use a nice tough unit to anchor the infantry blocks. I'd use 15-20 Grave Guard to do this, and with the WS helm they'd be really tough to deal with.

I'd drop 15 Ghouls, and 10 Black Knights to buy them... and then pick up a few Dire Wolf units for harrassment, blocking, etc.

But that's just my preference... the list seems like it'd do fine.

mtgbob
01-02-2009, 02:32
The idea to add grave guard to the list so that it can help anchor the infantry blocks is an excellent idea.:)

but...

with the way the list is designed, what with ghoulkin giving the ghouls an extra march move and everything having the necessary movement to catch up with the initial push of the ghouls, the grave guard isn't an ideal choice from where I stand due to them having to play catch up with the rest of the army.

The only way I can see this unit being effective with this type of build is if I don't take advantage of the extra march move that ghoulkin gives or I just drop ghoulkin off of my vamp altogether and pick up a different power.