PDA

View Full Version : 7th Edition Warhammer Armies

bazooka125347
30-01-2009, 18:58
I've been playing warhammer for a little over 3 years now and im seeing a trend in the way of armies. I am a lizardmen player, and after seeing some peeks at the codex, im a little confused. I just ask myself why? For ten points cheeper then a base chaos lord, you can get an oldblood with a -1 armour save. I am also a chaos player so i wonder why would they think this would be a good idea. if anything shoudn't dwarves, or chaos have the best armour. this means that if the base chaos lord and oldblood were to go head to head the oldblood would oviously win still geting a 1+ armour save vs the lord, and the oldblood would still be cheaper Even against a strength 8 bloodthirster hes getting a 4+ save. All i have to say about the new lizardmen codex is im not impressed. They should give a new book to an army who needs it like tomb kings. Anyone got some thoughts on the new armies vs 6th ed ones, or the 7th ed armies in general go ahead.

By the way the oldblood build is..

Oldblood - 200
-light armour
-coldone
-enchanted shield

4+ base, 3+ with LA, 1+ with coldone, And finally -1 with E shield

wingedserpant
30-01-2009, 19:17
I've been playing warhammer for a little over 3 years now and im seeing a trend in the way of armies. I am a lizardmen player, and after seeing some peeks at the codex, im a little confused. I just ask myself why? For ten points cheeper then a base chaos lord, you can get an oldblood with a -1 armour save. I am also a chaos player so i wonder why would they think this would be a good idea. if anything shoudn't dwarves, or chaos have the best armour. this means that if the base chaos lord and oldblood were to go head to head the oldblood would oviously win still geting a 1+ armour save vs the lord, and the oldblood would still be cheaper Even against a strength 8 bloodthirster hes getting a 4+ save. All i have to say about the new lizardmen codex is im not impressed. They should give a new book to an army who needs it like tomb kings. Anyone got some thoughts on the new armies vs 6th ed ones, or the 7th ed armies in general go ahead.

By the way the oldblood build is..

Oldblood - 200
-light armour
-coldone
-enchanted shield

4+ base, 3+ with LA, 1+ with coldone, And finally -1 with E shield

Yes but if he is on a cold one he isn't on a carnosaur and the chaos Lord in your example doesn't appear to have any sort of strenth enhancing weapon.

That Chaos Lord would deserve to lose.

Mireadur
30-01-2009, 19:35
The saurus appears to be a tad cheap indeed (maybe by 20 points?) but it is just chaos lords are a little bit too expensive.

bazooka125347
30-01-2009, 19:45
the chaos lord in my example has nothing, which is the point. that lizardmen can get all that in a lord (while only spending 15 points in magic items) and is still 10 points cheaper then a naked chaos lord. I just think some book ballanceing should take place

wingedserpant
30-01-2009, 20:44
the chaos lord in my example has nothing, which is the point. that lizardmen can get all that in a lord (while only spending 15 points in magic items) and is still 10 points cheaper then a naked chaos lord. I just think some book ballanceing should take place

Its abit difficult to be honest as all the parts in that combo are given a decent points value when they are not used together. Hindering people who don't take the combo will eventually force them into it so raising the price of one of them isn't a good idea.

Chaos and Lizards from what I've seen so far are pretty level on balance. This is just one aspect of the list whre lizards do better. Its no real reason to get upset. Just make sure your taking that armour save away by using armour ignoring weapons or by attacking the unit he is with who will have a worse [albeit still good] save to generate some decent combat res.

Plus if he is on a cold one he isn't on a carnotaur. Plus I don't see how a great armour save is unbalanced when you see what the slann can do ward save wise.

Braad
30-01-2009, 21:28
I know one thing for sure: against my chukka's, neither the lord or the oldblood won't get any armour saves at all :d

But yeah, do remember that units don't necessarily have to be comparable between books, but that inner balance in a book is more important. While the chaos dude might be more expensive for less armour, the chaos army as a whole has a much easier acces to loads and loads of armour, while lizards have less. Therefore the role of the oldblood in the lizardmen army is different from the role of the lord in the chaos army.

Neckutter
30-01-2009, 22:10
and that is why you RARELY see chaos lords in 2k armylists. you either see and DP, or a Sorc Lord. frankly a sorc lord all tooled up costs around 400 points, and easily does 800points worth of damage to the opposing army.