PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Of War?

Adolphus
30-01-2009, 19:34
So heres my question. I've noticed a lot of people on this forum talking about adding dogs of war elements to their armies in order to compensate for certain disadvantages of said armies. For instance there is also someone at my local gaming club that tried to run some ogre leadbelchers in his VC. It is my understanding that Dogs of War are being phased out in seventh and that unless an army specifically states in their army selection that they do have access to said troops, then they may not take any Dogs of War. And to my knowledge none of the seventh edition army books do. Am I correct with this assumption? Has this been FAQ'ed somewhere and I just didn't see it?

Zark the Damned
30-01-2009, 20:04
Incorrect. The Dogs of War rules state whether they can be used in an army, GW just stopped featuring them in the army lists to make way for future plans.

In the case of Ogres they have their own rules for being used as mercenaries anyway.

Bloodknight
30-01-2009, 20:17
Zark the Damned is right. The DoW army list determines who can take what as what. The slot in the army books never made sense because a lot of DoW units are not in fact rare choices for the armies hiring them.

Ogres do not follow the DoW hiring rules; they have their own set, and by RAW, only armies that do have the rare DoW slot can hire them.

And this topic should really be a sticky, it comes up every other day ;)

Adolphus
30-01-2009, 21:03
ok cool thanks guys. so are they they still tournament legal then? And with the whole 7th edition all books being stand alone idea, does this mean they are most likely going the way of the choas dwarves or are they likely to get updated, even if its just a white dwarf list?

Braad
30-01-2009, 21:21
As far as I know, they are indeed tournament legal. Gav Thorpe told us, in a quote somewhere, more or less the following:
The reason for removing the rare slot for DOW is because if they wish to change the way DOW work, that they don't have to change all books, but just a single DOW book. Also, there are several DOW and ROR that are not a rare choice at all. For example, Ruglud's armoured orcs are a special for Orcs and Goblins. We have to refer to DOW rule-charts to see which armies can take what, and how many lord, hero, special and/or rare choices they use up.
Something like that, at least...

Currently the rules are not available on the GW website, but I believe the australia site still has them.
Personally I think that, when GW wants to phase them out, they have to tell us, just as they have to tell us when for example chaos dwarves would be phased out. We can't just start guessing what they want...

For Ogres, you could say that RAW says that you can't because of the missing rare-slot in the books, but then I refer back to what Gav told us about referring to the DOW rules and not to the other armybooks. And Ogre DOW rules tells enough, I guess.

I suspect that currently GW has no clue yet what to do with DOW, but I think they'll either get their turn or get dropped when they finished updating all the other armybooks to 7th edition.

I sometimes play a DOW cannon ('illegally' equipped with gobbo's) in my Orcs and Goblins army, so I do hope they keep them in.

It would certainly be good if GW published some official things about the current state of DOW, and if still allowed, also published the latest rules-set for all of them.

Griefbringer
30-01-2009, 21:21
For tournaments, you better check with tournament organisers.

Some are likely to allow them. Others not. And some will require you to wear a purple skirt with pink polka dots if you really want to play in their tournament.

Dai-Mongar
30-01-2009, 21:31
I really hope they don't phase DoW out, they're a great bit of flavour to have in most armies. Mercenaries are cool! Definitely need to have more variety, though.

Bregalad
30-01-2009, 22:58
Is it again 4 days since the last new DoW thread? :rolleyes:

Adolphus
30-01-2009, 23:10
haha why yes it is. No the intention of my thread was basically just to figure out the current status of how they are used and to make sure that they were still being used in a legal fashion for my local gaming club. You guys have pretty much answered those questions so I don't think this thread needs to continue unless people really want to turn it into a wishlist thread or some such. So thanks for the replies.

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 00:07
Zark the Damned is right. The DoW army list determines who can take what as what. The slot in the army books never made sense because a lot of DoW units are not in fact rare choices for the armies hiring them.

Ogres do not follow the DoW hiring rules; they have their own set, and by RAW, only armies that do have the rare DoW slot can hire them.

And this topic should really be a sticky, it comes up every other day ;)You're right, Dogs of War should be a candidate for a sticky.

ZeroTwentythree
31-01-2009, 00:49
People read the stickies? Then why the weekly "Help me pick an army" and "How do I strip paint of my miniatures" threads?

;)

edit: Oh, and the where to get magnet threads. I'm assuming the magnet topic is a sticky in the PM&T. If not, it needs to be.

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 01:42
In my personal experience, once a sticky gets too large, it needs an index, maybe hotlinks.

Braad
31-01-2009, 13:55
I think people sometimes just like some personal advice on something...

But a sticky on this one, with the latest we know, wouldn't be a bad thing. Problem is, if you sticky up all recurring topics, the first page would be very sticky.

However, if I'm honest, there are currently several sticky topics about the watchmen, while I don't think the watchmen is really a very 'hot' item lately. Even though its a cool thing, I can't even remember when the last issue was released. Maybe an idea to contact a moderator, and ask if they could reduce those to a single one, and add something like a FAQ, which could be nice and indexed.

Bregalad
31-01-2009, 17:03
Add Chaos Dwarves, Cathay and Araby to the sticky.

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 17:12
Not to mention Nippon.

Minus67
31-01-2009, 18:07
they are no longer tournament legal for US GT's. Same with chaos dwarves.

And as far as i can tell you cant even download their rules from the US or UK website anymore

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 18:12
Sadly, true.