PDA

View Full Version : Undead Samurai themed Vampire Counts

veteransergeant
30-01-2009, 21:28
I have some old Citadel undead samurai lying around (I collect them) and was wanting a fun way to bring them to the table. I also have a west winds prod. Samurai armored vampire and an old classic Citadel zombie dragon as well, so i thought, why not make a tabletop army out of them.
Problem is, I play 40k and know relatively nothing of Fantasy.
I looked at Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts, seeing as they have the skeleton/undead guys, and found Vampire Counts fits a bit better, and they (Japanese and Chinese) have their vamp stories and movies as well, so...
Reference links:
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=546
http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c891307undsamurai-h.htm
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Undead_Samurai_C18
I have most of the citadel ones, including enough doubles of the spearmen (7) to make their own squad(?). A few of these, like LI-CHE, could make a suitable necromancer model, and i can scratch build a nice samurai-looking banner pretty easily.
Help on building a fun, interesting, quick game army would be appreciated.

DeerHeart
30-01-2009, 22:48
I think Sha Ren Zhe from the Hell Dorado line would make a superb Varghulf for you...

veteransergeant
30-01-2009, 23:01
Now isn't he interesting, thanks for the pic. I viewed a couple of pics from the old clan wars game for some cavalry as well. Seems I'm going to do some more collecting... even if i don't find a place for this one he'll be fun to paint up.

Conotor
30-01-2009, 23:08
7 spear men is not enough for a unit. You want at least 20 skeletons per unit.

Taureus
30-01-2009, 23:54

He might have meant doubles = total of 14.

But even then, you're right.

veteransergeant
30-01-2009, 23:56

Ok it sounds like i have just enough total models for one unit atm. (edit) I was referring to the actual spearman version, I have 7 of that model. CHI is the model I'm referring to.

Q: is the spear an individual weapon upgrade or do i have to gift the entire unit?

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 00:20
Blood Knights would be great as mounted samurai with naginatas.

veteransergeant
31-01-2009, 00:51
Yep can't decide on whether or not to convert blood knights to samurai or find and use the old clan wars undead samurai cavalry:
Clan Wars undead cav (ugu's cavalry???)
http://www.coolminiornot.com/67715
Ok correction, I guess these guys would be Black Knights. I did order some great undead horses (i think from the citadel undead chariot 80's) that would have been great to convert the undead samurai onto as Black Knights or Blood Knights. Unfortunately the order fell through and I'll have to look again.

Lord Dan
31-01-2009, 00:55
I didn't even read your post. If the title of the thread is meant to be a question, the answer is yes.

veteransergeant
31-01-2009, 11:40
I'm really not sure how this could be posed as a question, or why one would reply/ comment on a thread without reading the first post, but... thanks?

innerwolf
31-01-2009, 12:27
I'm really not sure how this could be posed as a question, or why one would reply/ comment on a thread without reading the first post, but... thanks?

I think he meant that the concept is so awesome it doesn't need any question.
You know, like zombie pirates or cyborg ninjas :p

veteransergeant
31-01-2009, 13:18
Lol the concept is so awesome that you don't even need to read the thread! Great now everyone's going to steal my idea and it will grow to such popularity that GW will eventually have to release models to support it! Ok maybe not...
On topic a guy on another forum donated 6 more Citadel Undead Samurai to my cause, as he has doubles; they are in route from the UK as of yesterday. I'll have to send him something nice!
1 each from above catalog:
Yo
Liy (broken arrow in neck, that's ok)
Ig
Li-Che (I now have a necromancer!!!)
Tu
Ep
(edit) Oh and thanks at inner for saying awesome to the concept. Not really so much born out of inspiration but just looking for a place to play them...

AngryAngel
01-02-2009, 08:06
Undead Samurai, they swore loyalty to their lord not till death, but beyond it. I love it. Keep up the good work and let the dead crush the living.

veteransergeant
01-02-2009, 15:51
Undead Samurai, they swore loyalty to their lord not till death, but beyond it.

Nice fluff! Mind if I use it?
On a tactical note, I acquired a VC codex and have begun to study... Necromancers skills: which are the most useful at 1000pts? I have raise dead and invocation of nehek on him right now, not sure which magic items to take with at all though... I'm thinking night shroud and biting blade just in case... and maybe sceptre de noirot. This maxes out the necromancer unless I add an additional necro skill.

Necromancer --120pts
--Raise Dead, Invocation of Nehek
--Nightshroud, Biting Blade, Sceptre de Noirot

I suspect the shroud and blade may be unnecessary/ wasted points, however I not only suspect some tactical blunders my first time out, so to speak, and this may buy some time for the cavalry to arrive.
Tentative plan is for some Black Knights, a unit of spear-toting skellies, a standard bearer skeleton unit (possibly with Undead Legion), some zombies (converted to nippon of course), and possibly above mentioned Varghulf. Oh and of course a vampire, though I'm tempted to go with a wight king instead (Shogun of the Dark)... ahh the initial stages of creation.
What say you?