PDA

View Full Version : "Just as Orcs are green, Lizardmen are blue"

fracas
30-01-2009, 23:20
In the latest US WD349, in the "Painting Lizardmen" guide section (p30), the above quote was given:
"Just as Orcs are green, Lizardmen are blue"

as it is game standard that Orcs are green, is GW now making a new standard that Lizardmen are to be blue?

I was taken back a bit by this new decree.

Thoughts?

Orkeosaurus
30-01-2009, 23:21
That seems... weird.

Did it just mean that they were painting orcs green, and now painting lizardmen blue?

What's the context here?

DarkTerror
30-01-2009, 23:22
Blue was always my theme for Lizardmen.

That being said I think the writer is putting in a touch of personal feeling on the subject.

Krusty
30-01-2009, 23:32
well being a lizardmen player and working (kind of) on painting mine black with red scales, this is pretty dumb...
not that its gunna change what im doing, i just hate how gw tries to restrict variation and creativity between armies sometimes

Frep
30-01-2009, 23:32
I had never noticed that, weird, well I still think a brown colour scheme would look pretty good.

TheDarkDuke
30-01-2009, 23:43
It was a simple comment by the guy painting the new models and playing a game. It has NO standing reference that all Lizardmen are blue anywhere in fluff.

Ben
30-01-2009, 23:50
Up until 6th edition they were green. GW lizards are blue policy can drown alone in a cold dark sea.

billr
31-01-2009, 00:00
Bull ****

sulla
31-01-2009, 00:03
well being a lizardmen player and working (kind of) on painting mine black with red scales, this is pretty dumb...
not that its gunna change what im doing, i just hate how gw tries to restrict variation and creativity between armies sometimes

Not really, it just means your lizards are special. Perhaps they are a sacred spawning? Not one that gives them super powers but rather one that denotes their sacred purpose. Use their unique colouring to add roleplay to your army.

My 5c anyway.

Kodamas
31-01-2009, 00:06
I think some folk are over reacting to this statement.

6th edition told us that lizzies were blue. I never saw a thread like this then or every lizzy army being blue (Lava seemed to be a colour choice for while)

As "Orcs are green"? I've seen white, red, blue, grey, brown, pink and yellow orcs.

The colours stated are what GW feels is best for their races. However you own the models you buy/trade and can paint them however you want.

Orcboy_Phil
31-01-2009, 00:07
What??? I distinctly remember Green lizarmen hen I first got that army. My Sarus are Green and my skinks are red and thats the way there staying.

Sir_Turalyon
31-01-2009, 00:20

You came up with the same Lizardmen scheme I'm using, go go mean hellish lizards! Except it's been years since I tried to paint mine...

I too remember green Lizardmen back in 5th edition; this quote is just 'Eavy Metal colour scheme taken too seriously...

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 01:50
Why blue? Perhaps to make their appearance more striking. I keep seeing them as frog-green, or is that just the Slann?

The SkaerKrow
31-01-2009, 03:53
What an idiotic statement by that painter. Then again, that's probably the reason why he's a painter and not a writer.

Einholt
31-01-2009, 04:02
Agreed, though Orcs may have alternate skin colour by racial trait they have green skin, lizardmen were never specified to be blue as orcs are understood to be primarily green. I'll echo the sentiment that it was a stupid comment by a painter who probably knows nothing of lizardmen prior to 6th.

Feefait
31-01-2009, 04:24
It's strange... when LM were first introduced as an army they were painted green and so I got it in my head to paint them blue. I got a unit of saurus done then stopped playing for a while. I loved my color scheme, deadly nightshade with some highlighting, the scales were a pale grey with light blue highlights. But when I got back into warhammer maybe 2 years ago I found that LM had now become all blue. I couldn't stand it and have since repainted all my saurus, and painted all new ones in a "crocodile" coloring. Kind of a yellowish brown with brown and bone scales. desert camo colors. I will never paint another lm blue, i just can't stand the way the GW ones look.

oh my slann is actually pink...

WhiteKnight
31-01-2009, 04:56
Its just like them painting all chaos armies that are (insert chaos god name here) worshipping armies must be red, green, pink(or whatever slaanesh is) or blue (or purple) depending on the god. Why not have a yellow slaanesh army? And I suppose that all wood elves have green too! Why not orange wood elves?

31-01-2009, 05:02
I dont have a LM army (yet) but I always liked the look of the yellow and black frog and thats the color I was thinking of.

but the last 2 editions they have been blue (meaning GW has painted theirs that color) mayby they wanted a distinct color for the.

again its your models your game do what you want

Orkeosaurus
31-01-2009, 05:09
And I suppose that all wood elves have green too! Why not orange wood elves?Stealth?

(Minimum characters limit?)

Dai-Mongar
31-01-2009, 05:49
Clearly, they'd come from an enchanted orange grove.

Bento
31-01-2009, 06:42
Well, in terms of displaying models, I can see blue for their studio army. It makes them stand out visually, particularly from Orcs, which are also an army where things bigger than a human and things smaller than a dwarf run around together, with some ogre-sized special choices and a monster or two.

Your army? Go nuts.

Alathir
31-01-2009, 06:54
I wouldn't take it too seriously... I mean, come on... you can paint them whatever color you want.

isidril93
31-01-2009, 07:47
Exactly...

Kirth
31-01-2009, 08:04
I went against everything orcy and painted my orcs orange. Paint your army how you like it if you think it'll look good, and don't sweat the GW idea.

I never liked the standard paint schemes anyhow. They just seemed so boring.

Orange lizardmen next!

Djekar
31-01-2009, 08:26
I agree that while they may "supposed" to be blue, you can paint them whatever color you want. Personally, I have my greenskins painted up in all different shades of green. I think it makes the army more chaotic and cobbled together - just like they are supposed to be.

The best suggestion so far has been to paint them whatever color you want and make up some fluff about how it is a fortuitous spawning that heralds their great destiny. Fluff is 55% of the reason I'm in this hobby anyways!

~Park

march10k
31-01-2009, 08:51
Its just like them painting all chaos armies that are (insert chaos god name here) worshipping armies must be red, green, pink(or whatever slaanesh is) or blue (or purple) depending on the god. Why not have a yellow slaanesh army? And I suppose that all wood elves have green too! Why not orange wood elves?

Stealth?

(Minimum characters limit?)

Clearly, they'd come from an enchanted orange grove.

Isn't there some orange in the WE fall color scheme?

Harry
31-01-2009, 09:06
Now they tell me!

Mine are green. Quite a bright green actually.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1327/img5550tm4.jpg

Vogon
31-01-2009, 09:21
Looking pretty good there Harry. I think "lizardmen are blue" is a bit of a daft proclamation most of the people I know who play lizardmen have taken nature as their inspiration, mostly greens and browns and they look good.

Paint them however you feel is right they're your miniatures after all.

Cheers

Vogon

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 09:21
Isn't there some orange in the WE fall color scheme?I picture them more Merry Men than NATO autumn manoeuvers.

Leogun_91
31-01-2009, 09:22
Now they tell me!

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1327/img5550tm4.jpgVery bright coloursheme on those, I donīt know if this is intentional but I feel like the focus goes to the mouths of the dinosaurs in the middle (old salamanders I think) when iīm looking at the picture.

Desert Rain
31-01-2009, 10:36
I painted my first LM blue, just because they were painted like that in the book. The new units I will be buying for the new edition will probably be painted compleatly different to form the basis of a new LM army. The old ones are poorly painted with the terradons as the exception so that's another reason.

I'm not shure how I will paint them but I want them to look realistic so I will do some research on real-life lizards before I start painting.

Kodamas
31-01-2009, 11:04
GW changed their background in 6th for Lizzies to be blue. Of course they gave you some give with the spawnings.

PAINT YOUR MINIATURES THE WAY YOU WANT. THEY ARE WHATEVER YOU WANT THEM TO BE.

I treally don't see why folk are making a big deal about this.:rolleyes:

Griefbringer
31-01-2009, 12:00
As for the 5th edition lizardmen book, it was not just about them being green. In the book you could find models painted in various shades of green, blue, orange, black with yellow spots, even albino lizards.

Jormi_Boced
31-01-2009, 14:27
Mine are green!

DeathlessDraich
31-01-2009, 15:51
As a rule I never follow the suggested colur schemes
My Ogres are Blue,
Humans - a mixture of Black, brown and white,
Orcs a mixture of Green and Black,
Scorpions - Metallic Blue or Red

Lizards - a mixture of Blue, Green and Reddish Orange

fracas
31-01-2009, 23:39
it was a comment from the Eavy Metal paint guide

and ofcourse any of us can paint out models any colors we want

it only become an issue when those of us with non-compliant colors go to Tourneys where army painting is judged

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
01-02-2009, 00:07
In the latest US WD349, in the "Painting Lizardmen" guide section (p30), the above quote was given:
"Just as Orcs are green, Lizardmen are blue"

Which simply proves that my Warhost of Ux-Mal, painted as they are as primarily green with blue backs, are a new and superior breed of Lizardmen. (Either that, or some bizarre Orc-Lizardmen hybrid).

As far as I can see, though, GW and Citadel have always had as much authority as a damp sponge when it came to dictating people's colour schemes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to paint some red Ultramarines...

Pavic
01-02-2009, 00:15
I think the real issue with this is for GD painters. If GW comes down hard on LM are blue, then individuals that paint them up in non-blue schemes will suffer in GD competition. With the new models, I am betting that LM make a big appearance this year, so this could be a big deal.

Oh, and my LM are light brown and purple for the record.

Grunge
01-02-2009, 01:23
Why are Orcs green, by the way?

Godfiend
01-02-2009, 01:44
Now they tell me!

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1327/img5550tm4.jpg

Well, you heard the man. Time to repaint!

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
01-02-2009, 01:46

Yes...into an even greener shade of green!

01-02-2009, 02:23
actually a Gilla monster scheme could be cool black and pink (gilla monster are poison lizards from southwest America)

darkace77450
01-02-2009, 04:24
A GW regional manager once threw store lizardmen models across a table at a meeting while cursing the blue color scheme the staff chose to paint said models. He was adamant in his statement of "everyone knows lizardmen are GREEEN!" while skipping the blue lizards down the table.

Horus38
01-02-2009, 05:00
:p Interesting to see such a loud response from the community. I saw the aforementioned statement and I take it to mean that LM in the studio army have a tendency to be blue as their theme. I paint mine all shades of green and blue primarily with brightly colored highlights.

Lets just leave it at that with the GW bashing ;)

slingersam
01-02-2009, 05:00
I'm thinking off painting my lizardmen pitch black, like pure
black, painting the visiable scales a light green, something
close to goblin green, but dont know what to do about the
horn.

Dead Man Walking
01-02-2009, 06:07
They actually said this the last time lizzies were released. Obviously it didnt stick because they had to say it again in WD.

You can paint your lizzies any way you want, The only draw back may be that GW wont show your army in White Dwarf to reinforce thier theme.

Mine are Green with purple scales.

Condottiere
01-02-2009, 06:07
Why are Orcs green, by the way?

Because some studio painter in the late 80s tried it out and the effect was impressive, so that colour scheme was adopted.

Harry
01-02-2009, 07:06
Noooooooo. It has taken me this long to paint them once. :D

Yes...into an even greener shade of green!
GREENER!!! Not sure I can get any brighter without casting them in resin and putting a light inside .... Mmmm.

Because some studio painter in the late 80s tried it out and the effect was impressive, so that colour scheme was adopted.

Rumour has it the 'Goblinmaster' himself Kev Adams started painting them green.

Griefbringer
01-02-2009, 10:29
GREENER!!! Not sure I can get any brighter without casting them in resin and putting a light inside .... Mmmm.

Have you considered fluorescent paints?

Condottiere
01-02-2009, 11:36
Installing LEDs, to demonstrate that the Waagh energy is pulsating through Orc ranks.

Harry
01-02-2009, 12:00
Someone did this with a Chaos army. The fire deamon army. (or something like that). Lots of flaming sculls. I have seena link to it on here recently.

Have you considered fluorescent paints?

Actually I have. I tried it once ... for snotlings ... but nothing else would go on top of it for highlights without looking 'dead' next to the original colour. All you could do was spray it with the fluorescent paint and ink wash it.

O&G'sRule
01-02-2009, 12:10
I've always done them multi coloured. lots of yellows, oranges, greens and blues. Theyre lizards, theres no way GW can say they should be blue

Condottiere
01-02-2009, 13:00
Maybe from one specific city? Sort of Lizardish heraldry.

stroller
01-02-2009, 13:33
I painted mine blue... I like them blue - and have a vague recollection of "lizards are blue" from the dim and distant past. Aquamarine - jungle - river - I'm cool with that.

Lordsaradain
01-02-2009, 16:10
Blue? that doesnt even make any sense, they live in the ******* jungle. Brown and green if anything should be their normal colours.

Desert Rain
01-02-2009, 17:40
I says in the LM fluff that the saurus were created from alligators so unless the old ones altered their colours (which they obiously did as they are blue, but lets ignore that) they should look something like this.
Which I think would look cool;)

Godfiend
01-02-2009, 19:19
I[t] says in the LM fluff that the saurus were created from alligators so [...] they should look something like this.
*snipped picture of a lazy crocodile*

That's what my lizards look like. Not the color scheme - they're yellow and purple (!) - but the lying around with a dumb, lazy look on their face while stuff happens around them.

the Khaki Campbell
01-02-2009, 19:31
i would choose bright green or blue any day to paint over dull browns. ited also be more eyecathing and look cooller, in my opinion,

sabre4190
01-02-2009, 19:39
I really disagree with the whole "lizardmen are blue" thing. For orcs it makes sense, because it has been such a huge part of their character. Orcs just are green. Hence, greenskins. Lizardmen shouldn't demand a blue color. It was only since last edition that we saw them in blue to such a huge degree (i have some old artwork where they were green). Lizards, like in real life, should be allowed to have some variety. Sure, blue can be a very common color, but not the only color. I've seen some fantastic lizzie armies that would be invalid fluff-wise after this statement. Regardless, I think most gamers are going to ignore this and just paint them however they want.

fracas
01-02-2009, 22:08
that is how it starts
orcs were once any colors as well

longshot007
02-02-2009, 04:01
that is how it starts
orcs were once any colors as well

Yeah, but at this point orcs being green is an important part of their fluff. Lizard being blue isnt.

TheMav80
02-02-2009, 05:15
Mine used to be green.

I am in the process of repainting them in shades of brown and dark yellow, as they have been blessed by Chotec and adapted to living in the deserts of the Southlands. :p

They, of course, will be lead by Slann al-Din. :D

Renufus
02-02-2009, 07:26
Indeed, one person's interpretation is now grounds for GW coming your house and blowing you away if you don't paint your Lizardmen blue. I know a guy with a red O&G army (actually one of the cooler looking armies I've come across), and he hasn't been abducted by the FBI yet. We're all praying for him.

Some people seriously need to chill out and stop taking everything printed in WD as gospel. I can understand getting upset when GW writes an abomination like DoC or VC that is more or less permanent and actually affects gameplay, but getting all worked up over something silly like this is just...silly.

Condottiere
02-02-2009, 08:11
I think that there some players who prefer to use an Orthodox colour scheme, as sanctified by the See of Nottingham.

badgeraddict
02-02-2009, 13:16
At the end of the day, does the colour of a Lizardman matter?

I mean really...

*shakes head at the laughable moaning that goes on here*

Condottiere
02-02-2009, 14:21
I'm not sure, since it only should matter to the painter. Could be like Physics, you'd like to have general consensus how the stuff functions and why.

badgeraddict
02-02-2009, 14:37
I'm not sure, since it only should matter to the painter. Could be like Physics, you'd like to have general consensus how the stuff functions and why.

Could be...however I value enchantment over Physics.

If you want to paint your Lizardmen pink, then do it regardless of what the GW 'norm' is. Having said that pink Lizardmen might get you a few odd looks at battles.

Paint them as you wish. I started painting with Bretonnia so I guess this is why I uphold this view.

Pavic
02-02-2009, 15:49
At the end of the day, does the colour of a Lizardman matter?

I mean really...

*shakes head at the laughable moaning that goes on here*

The problem is that this is a big issue in GD painting competitions. There is a reason that non-green orcs don't take home trophies and by trying to force a color on lizardmen, this means that only blue lizardmen will make the cut.

It is sad really, I remember that some non-blue saurus cav did really well at Chicago '07.

badgeraddict
02-02-2009, 15:51
The problem is that this is a big issue in GD painting competitions. There is a reason that non-green orcs don't take home trophies and by trying to force a color on lizardmen, this means that only blue lizardmen will make the cut.

It is sad really, I remember that some non-blue saurus cav did really well at Chicago '07.

Then don't enter a GD painting competition if you want deviate from GW's colour scheme.

:rolleyes:

fracas
02-02-2009, 18:05
some of the posters don't seem to get it

again, we can paint our lizzies any colors we want (i have no intention of repainting my 10k worth). always have been true. always will remain true.

this thread is to highlight the likelihood that GW appears to be codifying lizzies as blue (just as orcs are green)
and if you are interested in painting competitions at any GW venue, you should keep this in mind

Kodamas
02-02-2009, 20:44
this thread is to highlight the likelihood that GW appears to be codifying lizzies as blue (just as orcs are green)
and if you are interested in painting competitions at any GW venue, you should keep this in mind

This isn't entirely true. WD just showed a GD entry by their staff that made the final cut which was (Shock Horror) green and yellow/bone.

Since last edition Lizardmen have been blue. This is not new.

Lets just accept that GW want their Lizzies to be blue but will not mark you down for having different coloured Lizzies. Even their lizzies in the new armybook push the boundaries of what a blue lizard is.

Harry
02-02-2009, 23:03
They, of course, will be lead by Slann al-Din. :D
Priceless. :D

shredshredxx
05-02-2009, 15:51
wait, like,

all of them??

every single one?

the entire race??

seriously, gw?

that's like saying that humans are an off pinkish tannish colour.

in general.

when it's quite obvious that we come in quite a varying spectrum of colours.

Jedi152
05-02-2009, 15:59
I mentioned this is the 'New Lizard Fluff' thread. It just seems odd to me.