PDA

View Full Version : Empire army, need input!

CptnKaizer
30-01-2009, 22:20
Well I'm finally starting with fantasy again, after a long break... Considering the fact that I haven't played WH fantasy for about 2-3 years im quite rusty.
Anyway here is my list, input is welcome indeed ! I do know it would be good with a popemobile or a Stank, but im not a fan of the models, or the fluff... So I've decided to keep em out of my army...

General of the empire
w/shield, barded horse,
Dawn armour, Sword of might,
Holy Relic
Battle wizard lvl 2
w/Rod of power
Battle Wizard lvl 2
w/2x scrolls
Captain of the empire
w/full plate, barded horse,
bsb, sword of striking,
Icon of Magnus
28 swordsmen
w/Full Command,
Banner of valor
Detachment; 8Freecomp,
5 handgunners
28 swordsmen
w/full command
Detachment; 8Freecomp,
5 handgunners
10 crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen
5 Outriders
w/Champion
Great Cannon
Great Cannon
5 Pistoliers
w/musician
Helstorm Rocket battery
Helstorm Rocket battery

2000 pts.
6. PD
4. DD(+2 scrolls)

Nu Fenix
30-01-2009, 23:00
Why does your General have Full Plate and Dawn Armour? The full plate is superfluous, so that is some points brought back immediately. On contrast why no shield? That would give him a 1+ save with a re-roll, plus his 4+ Ward save.

I'm curious why you picked the Sword of Righteous Steel for your BSB? Picking a weapon over a banner or armour seems quite strange, and highly unusual.

Otherwise, the rest of it seems fine to me, though I am still getting used to Empire myself, and am working on a list myself.

CptnKaizer
30-01-2009, 23:25
Why does your General have Full Plate and Dawn Armour? The full plate is superfluous, so that is some points brought back immediately. On contrast why no shield? That would give him a 1+ save with a re-roll, plus his 4+ Ward save.

I'm curious why you picked the Sword of Righteous Steel for your BSB? Picking a weapon over a banner or armour seems quite strange, and highly unusual.

Otherwise, the rest of it seems fine to me, though I am still getting used to Empire myself, and am working on a list myself.

Well to the General, thats a flaw.... I am sick atm, so well Im not thinking all that clear, will correct it... And for the BSB, I cant honestly find any banner i would like, unless i decide on griffon banner for my large swordsmen block, giving him a weapon (as he allready got 2+ save) seemed to me, to be fit.. as he might even kill something, as well as allready bringing the BSB bonus to the table

Nu Fenix
30-01-2009, 23:47
What about the War Banner? Or instead a utility item such as the Icon of Magnus, due to all the Fear causing units/armies about?
And hitting on a 2+ for 30 points seems alot! For half that price you could get the Sword of Striking instead, and would hit WS 4 or less enemies on a 2+ still, and anything WS 5 or better on a 3+. That would also allow you to be able to afford the Icon for anti-fear too :)

Hulkster
31-01-2009, 03:36
It is actually quite common to take a BSB without a banner. That way you get the +1 combat resolution and you re-roll break tests. But the model can still defend itself.

In fact I have opten found that if you give a BSB an incredibly useful and/or expensive banner, he becomes the focus of as many CC attacks or other special attacks because he is so vunrable.

Oh and the warbanner is a waste on the BSB.

Mortors are better than cannons generally, and I do not rate Greatswords at all. I think knights are a much better option.

Other than that a nice solid list

RossS
31-01-2009, 04:19
I prefer cannons to mortars. The cannons are needed to either kill or worry and immobilize big, terror-causing and line-breaking monsters. I think a pair of them are required in every Empire army.

Have you considered dropping the Hellblasters and getting some Rocket Batteries. They do what the mortar is supposed to do, but they do it better.

Scrap the Greatswords and get yourself a real unit; Outriders. Nothing shreds units like a few outriders.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
31-01-2009, 06:16
SNIP

Mortors are better than cannons generally,SNIP

This is the first time I have ever heard someone say this. Mortars are only really useful against hordes- armies with lots of models, preferably with Tou 3 and limited armour [ie- Skaven, Goblins, occasionally Undead, Marauder heavy Chaos and infantry heavy HE or DE]. But, normal empire shooting and melee can handle these types of things well enough already. Cannons however work best against large critters and scary characters which are the most difficult for normal Empire armies [without the Steam Tank] to fight.

CptnKaizer
31-01-2009, 12:26
What about the War Banner? Or instead a utility item such as the Icon of Magnus, due to all the Fear causing units/armies about?
And hitting on a 2+ for 30 points seems alot! For half that price you could get the Sword of Striking instead, and would hit WS 4 or less enemies on a 2+ still, and anything WS 5 or better on a 3+. That would also allow you to be able to afford the Icon for anti-fear too :)

Aight, scrapped the sword of righteous, for sword of strking & icon of magnus, seemed like a fair deal

I prefer cannons to mortars. The cannons are needed to either kill or worry and immobilize big, terror-causing and line-breaking monsters. I think a pair of them are required in every Empire army.

Have you considered dropping the Hellblasters and getting some Rocket Batteries. They do what the mortar is supposed to do, but they do it better.

Scrap the Greatswords and get yourself a real unit; Outriders. Nothing shreds units like a few outriders.

Ive removed the helblasters for helstorms, and ive scrapped the greatswords for Outriders & handgunner detachments

RossS
31-01-2009, 16:24
Looks very solid. I would get rid of the Swordsmen for fluff reasons, but it's hardly necessary. I mean, they are objectively superior to the other state trooper units.

Do your core blocks have combat detachments? If not, then you should consider investing in those wonderful and expendable scum; the free company fighters...

SevenSins
31-01-2009, 22:56
Looks like a balanced empire army to me. A nice mix of shooting and CR, aswell as decent magic. Personally I'd have 1-2 knight units for some punch, not sure what to take out to get them though :p

Hulkster
01-02-2009, 12:55
ok I was worng about cannons, maybe it is because all the armies at myclub are huge and we have very few large creatures

so I concide and stsae the cannons are gennerally better, but I still think a mortor couldnt hurt ;)