PDA

View Full Version : Can i be the First to Claim (vs new Lizardmen)...

EvC
30-01-2009, 23:22
...that I have had an opponent's Slann end up killed by the double-one miscast result? :D

Thanks to the Infernal Puppet as well :o

Kinda wish Slann couldn't miscast any more, but at least it was only turn 5 so I got a proper game out of it.

(And also Hellcannon annihilating Priest + Engine of the Gods turn 1... nice)

sulla
31-01-2009, 00:16
Can't slann get immunity to miscasts as a skill or magic item? I haven't seen the book. Too bad if he can't, he's probably not worth taking vs chaos warriors if not.

But anyway, yes, your puppet sure is a pesky item. I miscast with Malekith twice vs it last game. Luckily, my opponent opted for free gateway castings vs it which I was prepared for and duly scrolled.

havoc626
31-01-2009, 03:24
Can't slann get immunity to miscasts as a skill or magic item? I haven't seen the book. Too bad if he can't, he's probably not worth taking vs chaos warriors if not.

Nope, not anymore. But they can take an ablility to re-roll, or an item that can cause for it to transfer to an enemy wizard within LOS.

StarFyreXXX
31-01-2009, 03:59
Lord Kroak, as he should be, is immune to miscasts...also, in 2 games I used him, his spell is quite devastating....seems like he may be worth 600 pts. If only he had MR and he extra dice disciplines.

Sanjay

sulla
31-01-2009, 08:31
Nope, not anymore. But they can take an ablility to re-roll, or an item that can cause for it to transfer to an enemy wizard within LOS. Wouldn't that transfer miscasts item be a must have for any sensible Slann then? Especially with all those rings of hotek and infernal puppets out there...

Nanozzo
31-01-2009, 09:00
In your opinion how Infernal puppet may interact with the slann disciples miscast reroll and the arcane item "cupped hand of the old ones" that can trasfer at 2+ on enemy wizard the miscast results?

havoc626
31-01-2009, 10:04
Wouldn't that transfer miscasts item be a must have for any sensible Slann then? Especially with all those rings of hotek and infernal puppets out there...

Actually, that's a good point. I'm looking at the entry, and I really can't say if you miscast, roll for the item, then your opponent rolls, or if you get the result first, then transfer it.

Personally, I like to go with the second one, as it makes those items backfire.

infernus31
31-01-2009, 10:56
I must say the ability to miscast is quite a weird thing when I use my Slann now. Though the bounce miscast has been very fun to use, it has already killed a high elf archmage and hurt a vampire lord, which is quite fun after I have rolled badly, though I am considering the curse charm of tepok to make it even more fun!

Shamfrit
31-01-2009, 12:17
If the Ring of Hotek is ever on a mage, or you know where the Puppet is, you can force a misfire with lots of dice rollings, then transfer it to the bearer of the Puppet/Hotek :D

Skyth
31-01-2009, 14:58
I watched a game Thursday night where a Slaan miscast 3 times...(There were 5 miscasts in the game...blah).

The problem with taking the ignore 1st miscast item, is then you are limited to 4 spells.

Bac5665
31-01-2009, 16:26
What? Every Slaan should always know all six spells. This has nothing to do with magic items.

MURPH
31-01-2009, 19:19
I might be the first to have lost my slaan + Temple Guard to a IFed Str. 12 Gateway.....The chaos gods didn't even use lube...

MURPH

Sarah S
31-01-2009, 19:58
I must say the ability to miscast is quite a weird thing when I use my Slann now. Though the bounce miscast has been very fun to use, it has already killed a high elf archmage and hurt a vampire lord, which is quite fun after I have rolled badly, though I am considering the curse charm of tepok to make it even more fun!

Having read the item description, I am pretty sure that the Cupped Hands kicks in before there is a roll on the actual miscast table.

As soon as there is a miscast, you roll to transfer it to another Wizard. That Wizard then rolls on the required table with whatever re-rolls/alteration is appropriate.

Neknoh
31-01-2009, 20:05
Interestingly enough, some Slann might now actually actively TRY to miscast only to bounce it onto enemy casters.

I think this is the first time where your OWN miscasts are used as a weapon... and the Slann who previously ignored miscasts will be the ones most seem spamming it... what the hell?

Sarah S
31-01-2009, 20:18
I think that's pretty shortsighted if they do. The Cupped Hands is One Use Only, and if it's your only Miscast protection, burning it early in the game could really come back to haunt you.

Neknoh
31-01-2009, 20:37
Ah, One Use Only... thank god they got SOME magic items right in the last books -.-

Mouldsta
31-01-2009, 22:22
If the Ring of Hotek is ever on a mage

You have an strange opponent? Even a lv1 scroll caddie Dark Elf mage can throw a decent spell with a high chance of sucess via power of darkness, so why you'd want to impeed your own special rules and inate spellcasting is beyond me, unless for some reason the unit you want to protect has no "real" characters in it to carry the ring, and you've opted for a squishy wizard to stand in the unit.