PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing question

punkoteloco
31-01-2009, 04:01
Hi, we are playing right now and we have a doubt. my skaven slaves just fled from combat agains some imperial knights. They chose to catch them and if they go straight ahead they crash a ratling gun. Behind the ratling gun theres a clanrat unit. Can the knight make some pivot movement to avoid the ratling gun and crash my clanrats?

Lord Dan
31-01-2009, 04:18
Nope. No pivoting during an over-run move.

Condottiere
31-01-2009, 08:11
Yep, it's straight ahead.

If the frontage of your unit is small enough, and you know that you'll over-run, shift the unit to the other end, and avoid the ratling gun.

Neckutter
01-02-2009, 04:31
if the knights could not see the unit of clanrats to make a charge, but after the slaves fled-they had a path toward the clanrats then yes. it is in the charging section. i think its called enemy in the way or something. come to think of it, it might be called something different. oh well, they describe exactly what you just said though. you still only get one wheel with the knights though(besides the free wheel).

Asmodiseus
01-02-2009, 05:12
if the knights could not see the unit of clanrats to make a charge, but after the slaves fled-they had a path toward the clanrats then yes. it is in the charging section. i think its called enemy in the way or something. come to think of it, it might be called something different. oh well, they describe exactly what you just said though. you still only get one wheel with the knights though(besides the free wheel).

I believe this is actually incorrect what you are discribing is the enemy in the way rule and it is only used when a unit chooses to flee as a charge reaction, also no wheel is allowed as you are forced to chase after the fleeing unit in a straight line.

In the situation the OP described the clan rats were defeated in combat and failed their break test. They fled through the ratling gun and the clan rat unit directly behind. In this situation you follow the rules for pursuit into a fresh enemy.

First if the rats rolled higher than the knights then you move the rats their full roll. If they didnt you remove them off the table. Next you must determine the path that the knights take. They must follow the clan rats so normally this means you would move directly forward, however if your frontage is significantly smaller than the clanrats frontage and you are on the left or right side of the unit then you may need to pivot a bit.

After you determine the path the Knights take you measure the distance. If the ratling gun is along the path and within the pursuit distance it must make a charge reaction, either flee or stand (No stand and shoot). If it chooses to stand you charge the gun and must wheel to bring the maximum models into contact with it. You then fight the combat in the next CC phase. If the gun chooses to flee, he rolls his flee distance and moves the gun. You then must chase after the gun if you have sufficient movement off your original pursuit roll to reach the clan rats then you may charge them and they are allowed a reaction as well.

Fellblade
01-02-2009, 06:40
Asmodiseus has it correct. In the situation you describe, the knights must charge the ratling gun. If the ratling gun chooses to hold the knights stop there. The knights would only reach the clanrat unit if the ratling gun chooses to flee. You don't get to choose your targets on overruns. You move in a straight path and may only wheel if this straight line overrun/pursuit hits an enemy unit, in which case the wheel can only be used to bring more models (from either side) into the combat.

Short answer: No, you can not pivot to hit a higher priority target.

Condottiere gives good advice here, you aren't required to square up on the enemy, only to maximize models fighting. You have a little wiggle room to setup your overruns, but you need to be thinking of this ahead of time while you're moving your charging unit into the initial combat.

Neckutter
01-02-2009, 07:56
ah, i read "fled from combat" to mean that he fled when getting charged. surely slaves would flee from knights and not choose to hold?

and my example that i gave was when you flee as a charge reaction, if you read my post. :)

stripsteak
01-02-2009, 16:12
ah, i read "fled from combat" to mean that he fled when getting charged. surely slaves would flee from knights and not choose to hold?

and my example that i gave was when you flee as a charge reaction, if you read my post. :)

depends on where you want the knights to end up :)

Fellblade
01-02-2009, 16:58
Nobody cares when slaves die and they could always hold on a 2 and if the knights flubbed their attacks the slaves could win. Or, the slaves could have been deployed to redirect the knights away from the core of the army. There's plenty of reasons for them to hold.

Secondly, even if the slaves choose to flee a charge it would be difficult to avoid the ratling gun. "Enemy in the Way" still requires straight line movement. It is very different than 6th edition "Redirect the Charge" where you could avoid some targets to engage others.

Asmodiseus
01-02-2009, 20:49
Nobody cares when slaves die and they could always hold on a 2 and if the knights flubbed their attacks the slaves could win. Or, the slaves could have been deployed to redirect the knights away from the core of the army. There's plenty of reasons for them to hold.

Secondly, even if the slaves choose to flee a charge it would be difficult to avoid the ratling gun. "Enemy in the Way" still requires straight line movement. It is very different than 6th edition "Redirect the Charge" where you could avoid some targets to engage others.

Exactly, regardless of when they slaves fled you can not move anywhere but straight toward the fleeing unit they MUST follow that straight line. So after re-reading your post Neckutter I came to the same conclusion that I originally did that you are incorrect. Of course to quote yourself "Feel free to go read the rulebook and prove me right"