PDA

View Full Version : VC 2000pts opinions needed

slayerofmen
31-01-2009, 11:53
Vampire Lord, LvL 3, Master of the Dark arts, Dark acolyte, Lord of the Dead, the flayed hauberk, Sword of might, crown of the damned, Sceptre de Noirot

Vampire, Dread knight, Supernatural Horror, Blood drinker

Vampire, avatar of death, Enchanted shield,biting blade, Walking death, dispel scroll // gave him this just as a trump card it its needed

15 skeletons, Full command

15 crypt ghouls, ghast

20 Grave Guard, Full Command, Banner of barrows

Vargulf

5 Black Knights, standard, 5 Barding, Royal standard of Strigos

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

total 1999

slayerofmen
01-02-2009, 06:52
bump to get it up there

Count Demandred
01-02-2009, 07:27
I don't see how you're going to counter War Machines or screen your Cavalry as you've got no Dire Wolves or Fell Bats. Though it looks like a solid list otherwise.

By the way you could give your BSB some magic items as he hasn't taken a Magic Banner, and as he's providing +2 CR you might want to protect him a little more, a simple 3+ (I'm assuming you're taking the Hand Weapon and Shield?) Armour probably wont cut it.

slayerofmen
09-02-2009, 09:02
*bump* revised list

slayerofmen
10-02-2009, 06:55
*re bump* rip it apart!

Gharof von Carstein
10-02-2009, 10:40
its a fine list except you dont need a hell knight with your black knights. thats points going to the crapper. take it out and add a magic item to your BSB, this way it will be better protected to handle combat and might bring your point total closer to 2k

slayerofmen
10-02-2009, 11:39
okay so ditch the hell knight frees up 21pts what would you suggest, i was thinking the enchanted shield or maybe the sword of battle on the bsb, suggestions? or maybe loose the ghast and get the sword of kings

on another point i was thinking loose the bsb all together as walking death does basicaly the same thing and use those pts some where else

Gharof von Carstein
10-02-2009, 12:14
or. you could drop the BSB and turn that avatar of death into dread knight. than with the remaining 41 points you still couldnt do much. until you drop one of the units direwolves for 4 fell bats and you will have 1999 points total.

fell bats are good warmachine hunters and can marchblock etc.

vamp
10-02-2009, 23:54
I thought the battle standard bearer could not take magical items. Isn't that so?

Buddha777
10-02-2009, 23:59
I thought the battle standard bearer could not take magical items. Isn't that so?

Vampire powers are not magic items. But it doesn't matter anyway since that restriction only applies when the BSB takes a magic banner.

Count Demandred
11-02-2009, 03:44
I'm assuming you're going to put that Dread Knight Vampire with the squad of Black Knights?

You've given them the Hatred banner, so it could be worthwhile getting rid of his Infinite Hatred power and swapping it for either Supernatural Horror/Walking Death as you should be able to break most enemies. And Infinite Hatred and The Royal Standard of Strigois kind of double up on the Vampire.

slayerofmen
11-02-2009, 10:13
@count demandred: holy crap i hadn't even realized that thing about the banner, except remember the banner gives hatred (the first turn kind, where as infinite hatred gives him hatred every turn .

and correct me if I'm wrong but you cant have both magic armour and a magic shield yes?

or a magic weapon and magic shield/armour

Gharof von Carstein
11-02-2009, 10:15
you can have a magic weapon and magic armour, thats perfectly legal, you just cant have 2 magic weapons or 2 magic armours.

slayerofmen
11-02-2009, 10:30
made some changes, as per above just one question on one combo though:

"Vampire, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Enchanted shield,biting blade, Walking death"

im wondering is this combination legal?

Count Demandred
11-02-2009, 14:44
Nah it isn't legal, you can't have two magic items of the same 'type' (aside from Dispel Scrolls and Powerstones).

And it's certainly not legal in the sense a Vampire can only take 50 points worth or Items, and 50 points worth of Powers. He's got 65 points worth of items. Though I'm assuming you actually meant the Flayed Hauberk instead of the Bloody Hauberk? That'd have made it legal points wise, but obviously not properly legal as you've taken two magic Armour items.

Aeolthir
11-02-2009, 14:55
Your combo is illegal cauz you have two magic armour (enchanted shieldis a magic armour) and you cant.

I have a combo for a thrall that I always use.
Here it is:
vampire, avatar of death, "sword that gives you +1 str, nightshroud and you have 30 pts left to spend on vampiric powers (i suggest the one that give infinite hatred).

This way if you charge or get charge, you will strike first due to nightshroud with 3 rerollable attacks on wich you'll probably hit on 3+ at Str6 (-3 save). You wont have much a counter attack on you vampire. Plus, due to the high initiative of the vampire, is should be like that each subsequent turn.

Gharof von Carstein
11-02-2009, 15:06
or dark acolyte for more casty goodness, a vampires best friend.

slayerofmen
12-02-2009, 05:22
yeah, i discussed those very points with my mates today and came to the same place with it.

@AEolthir: My only issue apart from all its awesome with the nightshroud is, its only light armour....., and taking avatar of death on that combo means you are taking a 20pts shield

how has the combo worked for you overall?

Gharof von Carstein
12-02-2009, 08:26
no even worse. its like no difference. your substituting a heavy armour and shield combo for a light armour shield combo. your effectively going from a 4+ standard save to a 5+ and spending more points on it. thats not a combo its a handicap

slayerofmen
12-02-2009, 08:36
was thinking retain the old combo but drop the enchanted shield stick with the standard shield and biting blade for a 2+ in CC

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 09:22
Vampire Lord, LvL 3, Master of the Dark arts, Dark acolyte, Lord of the Dead, the flayed hauberk, Sword of might, crown of the damned, Sceptre de Noirot

Vampire, Dread knight, Supernatural Horror, Blood drinker

Vampire, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Enchanted shield,biting blade, Walking death

15 crypt ghouls, ghast

20 Grave Guard, Full Command, Banner of barrows

Vargulf

5 Black Knights, standard, 5 Barding, Royal standard of Strigos

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

total 1999

i dont like the vampire with supernatural horror, and blood drinker. blood drinker doesnt do too much, imo. plus you already have a lance.
love the strigos banner on the knights.
vampire with the bloody hauberk and the enchanted shield is a no, no. only one magical armor.

slayerofmen
12-02-2009, 11:52
you don't like a terror causing vampire that can self sustain the unit he's with?

and yeah i know about the armour issue its been changed

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
12-02-2009, 21:02
how much do you want to win games because, if you want I can right you either a really good cavalry list or an invocation spam army list.

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
12-02-2009, 21:07
How much do u want to win games because I have a particularly nasty cavalry army list for VC's if u wud like to see it

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
12-02-2009, 21:23
Well, when it comes to vampires there are only two routes you can really go down to ensure that you have a good chance of winning. First is the Invocation spam (3-4 units of 10 crypt ghouls, then make your Vamp lord a lvl 4, give him master of black arts, raise ghouls and some protective wargear, then 2-3 thralls, one as a BSB that are lvl 2 and have raise ghouls, a couple of corpse carts with unholy lodestones, a unit of 5 black knights or a varghulf and some dire wolves to fill in the rest, although down at my local games workshop this list has been suffering a lot under a new regime of cheesy tzeench daemon armies with three lvl 4 wizard horror units, 4 lvl 2 tzeench heralds and every unit having a 3D6 strength 3 hits bound spell ) or you can go down the route of the blood keep ( 2 units of 4 blood knights with full command, thrall with dread knight, BSB, and hatred banner, put him in a unit of blood knights and another thrall with dread knight and infinite hatred, put him in the other unit. Then two units of 5 black knights with full command, a vampire lord with the 4+, stupidity ward save with dread lance, red fury, dark acolyte, so Lvl 3 and mounted on an abbysal terror. 3 units of 20 zombies, to fill basic core choices and capture board quarters and then 4 units of 5 dire wolves. that all fits into 2000 points and has a decent 6 DD to protect you from nasty spells).

PS: sorry about the two replies above. as soon as I posted a reply it took me back to the first page, which confused me as I thought I hadn't posted anything.

slayerofmen
13-02-2009, 07:30
thanks for the offer but im trying to develop a list thats not really either of those things...a balanced list, i will most likely try those lists to but i have many projects on the go (4 other armies) and im trying to get them all to a playable standard quickly before another army steals me away

Gharof von Carstein
13-02-2009, 07:56
your cavalry list is extremely weak nattymcfatty. without at least some strong core to back you up those blood knights can be tarpitted and swamped while your dire wolves and black knights get shot up and or are just beat in CC. than you have nothing to fall back on. your best off going with one big blood knight deathstar unit than what you are suggesting here...

both are cheesy IMO.

Aeolthir
13-02-2009, 15:37
To respond to Slayerofmen

It's obvious that 20 pts for a shield is quite expensive.
You can do it that way or without a shield. I prefer without.
It's true that it leaves you vampires with a thin thin protection. It as worked really well for me cauz I strike first 95% of the time. 3 re-rollable attacks with WS6 at Str6 leave generally nobody to counter-attack so I dont have to bother about the thin protection my wampire have.

Remember, Warhammer is a game of strategy yes! but on a single game, luck can determine a lot.
If you play the game with the same opponent and the same army composition for a 1000 time, global stats and strategy will reveal themselves. But on a single game, if you miss for example you +2 resurection save with Vlad, you general is dead wich means your are dead also.

This is why a like to take calculate risk, just like the combo I mentionned before.

As for the casty Godness, Gharof Von Carstein is right but I like really much figthy support vampire.

Sorry for my English, it is not my natural language.

slayerofmen
14-02-2009, 06:48
nah man your english is better then most of the actually english speaking people on here (myself included). im thinking i might give the list a run as is for the moment though