PDA

View Full Version : Army of caledor 2k

Adam87
31-01-2009, 13:36
Hey. Wanted to make a fun high elve list that was a change to the one Im using at the min.

Prince, Lance, armour of caledor, vambraces of defence, star dragon.

600pts

Noble, bsb, banner of the world dragon, lance, heavy armour, barded elven steed, shield,

196pts

Noble, lance, heavy armour, barded elven steed, shield, loremaster's cloak.

151pts

10 Archers

110pts

10 Archers

110pts

5 Dragon princes, fc.

200pts

5 Dragon princes, fc.

200pts

6 Dragon princes, fc, banner of arcane protection.

230pts

Tiranoc chariot

85pts

Tiranoc chariot

85pts

So what do you think. I face alot of magic heavy armies.

Ultimo ninja
20-02-2009, 07:19
no need for a bsb in a cav list with a dragon in it. try to fit in a mounted mage with 2 dispell scrolls. Drop th champs from the dp units and get eagles which will help you allot...trust me, you need march blocking to protect you frm tarpit units and big nasties while you attack and destroy what you want to.

All im doing is remoivng uneccessary stuff in order to give you what you need, magic defense and some march blocking to let your powerful army do damage.

Champion89
20-02-2009, 09:19
I see why you added the bsb. If you face a lot of heavy magic then yeah banner of the world dragon is a must. But a scroll caddy would be handy too. You might find it useful to drop the 151 pts noble and add a lvl 1 mage on a horse with 2x dispel scrolls. Just a thought, I'm still relatively new to the game.
Also the two chariots might have a tough time keeping up with the dps.

With such a low number of models you better play smart and strike fast. This list isn't going to allow you any mistakes. Losing a dp will hurt.
Let me know how the list plays. ;-)

Adam87
22-02-2009, 20:44
no need for a bsb in a cav list with a dragon in it. try to fit in a mounted mage with 2 dispell scrolls. Drop th champs from the dp units and get eagles which will help you allot...trust me, you need march blocking to protect you frm tarpit units and big nasties while you attack and destroy what you want to.

All im doing is remoivng uneccessary stuff in order to give you what you need, magic defense and some march blocking to let your powerful army do damage.

I do see where your coming from Im just worried my dragon princes would get blasted apart by magic. I face two armys that have about 13 power dice.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
23-02-2009, 17:12
I think you should take the scroll caddy to prevent anyone from pinning your dragon in place with a nice beast cowering... I agree with ultimo ninja you would do well to have some birds. Maybe drop the chariots for bolt throwers? Just a thought two d6 impact hits are dandy but the chariots might find them used as fire wood :( Besides bolt throwers i cant think of anything that might fit caledor for the chariots. Let us know how it goes i would like to try a list like that one of these days :D

Fate
24-02-2009, 00:07
Like it was said, no dispels? Careful there, you might run into some nasty magic users, one caddy if not twoo are advised.

I like you general but you are wasting points on him. Why not an amulet of light, both him and the dragon making magical attacks which are undeniable by things that deny magic weapons and of course, abillity to hit etheral beings so they won't stop you.

The BSB I consider him a weak point. hink of this, a unit of knights who have at least STR 6 and 2 attacks per model...think your BSB can survive? Also such units usually do have characters inside so, it just makes it worse. BSB are good but don't give them magic banners, give them magicl equipment for combat.

You don't need that many dragon princes, just one and with the ellirion banner to go through woods with your character inside.

Chariots, yeah they are good. I prefer the lion chariots though these do have more movement.

Last, I don't see any bolt throwers. You may not like them but, they are needed on any high elf army.

Adam87
25-02-2009, 14:15
After taking in what people have said I have made some changes tothe list.

Prince, Lance, armour of caledor, vambraces of defence, the amulet of light, star dragon.

615pts

Mage, two dispel scrolls.

140pts

Mage, two dispel scrolls.

140pts

10 Archers

110pts

10 Archers

110pts

6 Dragon princes, banner, banner of ellyrion.

215pts

6 Dragon princes, banner

200pts

6 Dragon princes, banner.

200pts

Tiranoc chariot

85pts

Tiranoc chariot

85pts

Great eagle.

50pts

Great eagle

50pts.

Well thats it anymore feedback would be nice.

Adam87
25-02-2009, 14:18
Like it was said, no dispels? Careful there, you might run into some nasty magic users, one caddy if not twoo are advised.

I like you general but you are wasting points on him. Why not an amulet of light, both him and the dragon making magical attacks which are undeniable by things that deny magic weapons and of course, abillity to hit etheral beings so they won't stop you.

The BSB I consider him a weak point. hink of this, a unit of knights who have at least STR 6 and 2 attacks per model...think your BSB can survive? Also such units usually do have characters inside so, it just makes it worse. BSB are good but don't give them magic banners, give them magicl equipment for combat.

You don't need that many dragon princes, just one and with the ellirion banner to go through woods with your character inside.

Chariots, yeah they are good. I prefer the lion chariots though these do have more movement.

Last, I don't see any bolt throwers. You may not like them but, they are needed on any high elf army.

I want a to keep the caledor theme thats why the is so many dragon princes.

I prefer lion chariots too but I already have a white lion army with two of them with shooting and magic support so wanted somthing different.

Adam87
25-02-2009, 14:20
I think you should take the scroll caddy to prevent anyone from pinning your dragon in place with a nice beast cowering... I agree with ultimo ninja you would do well to have some birds. Maybe drop the chariots for bolt throwers? Just a thought two d6 impact hits are dandy but the chariots might find them used as fire wood :( Besides bolt throwers i cant think of anything that might fit caledor for the chariots. Let us know how it goes i would like to try a list like that one of these days :D

Cheers for the help. I love the theme so it wont change to much. Well Im playing a game vs woc soon and will either use this list of my new beast of chaos.

Fate
25-02-2009, 19:22
It looks much more solid now though I'd avoid so many dragon princes. Maybe remove one for 2 extra chariots?

I don't really like eagle that much, they have potential but against mst armies that brings a good list, they are easy to nullify, you'd do better with bolt throwers to support your troop advance.

I've seen a small mistake in the build, the unit with the ellirion banner costs 215 points, don't forget the magic banner cost so for a 2K battle it's invalid.

Now if you want to keep that build as caledor why not try this?for a 2250 which is how it's mostly played now?

Get the unit of DP with the magic banner a full command and add a skiensliver to the champion.

The second unit of DP give full command but drop to 5 models.

Remove the thrid unit of DP.

Get a third chariot.

Get 4 bolt throwers for advance support.

Also you forgot to give a weapon to your lord. I'd advise either a lance or should you think that you won't always charge or that a charge won't always be enough, then an halberd.

This will bring the total points of your army to 2246 points.

The only thing I miss in this army is certainly the scouts which I also wanted to include but for that one chariot would have to go out and I'd rather keep the chariot. Tell me what you think for you caledor army.

Adam87
25-02-2009, 20:57
It looks much more solid now though I'd avoid so many dragon princes. Maybe remove one for 2 extra chariots?

I don't really like eagle that much, they have potential but against mst armies that brings a good list, they are easy to nullify, you'd do better with bolt throwers to support your troop advance.

I've seen a small mistake in the build, the unit with the ellirion banner costs 215 points, don't forget the magic banner cost so for a 2K battle it's invalid.

Now if you want to keep that build as caledor why not try this?for a 2250 which is how it's mostly played now?

Get the unit of DP with the magic banner a full command and add a skiensliver to the champion.

The second unit of DP give full command but drop to 5 models.

Remove the thrid unit of DP.

Get a third chariot.

Get 4 bolt throwers for advance support.

Also you forgot to give a weapon to your lord. I'd advise either a lance or should you think that you won't always charge or that a charge won't always be enough, then an halberd.

This will bring the total points of your army to 2246 points.

The only thing I miss in this army is certainly the scouts which I also wanted to include but for that one chariot would have to go out and I'd rather keep the chariot. Tell me what you think for you caledor army.

I know what your saying about the dragon princes I dont really rate them myself but I what to keep the fluff.

It will be easy to hide my eagles untill I need them to redirect a charge.

I had 15 points left over for my army and put that banner in just forgot to change the cost of the unit.

Everyone I know plays 2,000pts. My lord has a lance already. The 4 bolt throwers wouldnt work with this list because I couldnt keep them safe and thats an easy 400pts plus my white lion list has 4 in.

Fate
25-02-2009, 21:22
Well I don't really rate eagles that high as you prabably know already and 4 bolt throwers on a hill are able to show every turn... Maybe they are a little exposed but the enemy still has to go through your units. While eagle don't give the enemy much of a run for his money, the bolt throwers do, they ensure the survival of your units in 2 ways, first because they support you, second, the enemy will have to seriously think and make a way to destroy them. You can even give your opponent 2 choices in case of a combat army. Accept a charge to be in combat and not be shoot, or just be shoot down while they try to keep out of charge range so they might get a carge chance themselfs. On another note, I see a caledor army taking bolt throwers much quicker than a white lion list.

Last, well I find strange players still play at 2000 points, in the end, things became more expensive and you need a little extra now to be able to play a battle of the same scale of 6th ed.

hooventut
26-02-2009, 18:05
Hey,

I like your theme, but you should definately include two RBT, not four. They are a must. Consider Upping one of your mages to lvl 2? This will help you have a chance at casting a solid offensive/defensive that needs 3 dice to cast. It still fits the army to have a couple lower lvl mages...heck if you wanted to you could throw in a dragon mage and drop a caddy and the BSB.

Use the lvl 1 mage to cast ward saves on your dragon princes..please! They are awesome but still T3 ): I would consider perhaps dropping a unit of shooters/consolidating and and getting a unit of 5 silver helms or fast cav for cheaper cav support. an additional chariot could prove to be useful for your cav-oriented army to help ensure a flank.

last bit. i think you should think about running screening units of 6-12 pheonix guard with talisman of loec/stubborn. they can hold a unit, protect your shooters, and even take a hit to pass leadership and open up big flanking opps. YOU CANNOT take all units in the front unless you have a rank with your pheonix guard unless you run a char...even then you might not hold to get flank.

good luck man, hope these suggestions help

Fate
26-02-2009, 18:35
The dragon mage is incredibly weak and the dragon is too. Worse yet, if you don't have the first turn he might be killed right from the start without even haing a chance to use the dispel scrolls and the caddies on units are well hidden.

Upping mages for level 2? Why so? you think 5 magic dices will ever get a spell in play?

I think just a couple bolt throwers is wrong, Shooting is someting that should be maximesed in the high elves (only refering to the real shooting, not the normal archers). They are awesome but just 2 usually fall short of what you need.

It's not possible to drop a unit of archers, you need to keep the core to 2 units right? even if changing them for spearelves you still gain only 40 points in total.

Phoenix guard are good for mage protection since they don't fall soo easly. Other than that I don't really rate them.

In the end your army becomes much more effecient if you maximise it's strong points. fast moving and some hitting power, bolters with shooting and get enough dispel power to take care of magic users.

isidril93
27-02-2009, 19:21
eagles are a must in a dragon list...the main threat are war machines and in the end your dragons must be kept alive.

Fate
27-02-2009, 19:58
And eagles are going to keep your dragon alive?

If I have a cannon I know it's not the eagles I'm going to target!

isidril93
27-02-2009, 20:01
no but the cannons will be the eagles targets...without eagles those cannons would be out there for 6 turns...with them about 3 or 4

Ultimo ninja
27-02-2009, 20:17
forget chariots, go for reavers, since chariots cant keep up with dragons and cav

Fate
27-02-2009, 21:11
True, eagles take care of cannons, but a dragon needs to charge by the second turn, if he doesn't shows, then I'll shooth the eagles and the dragon will stay hidden the whole game. Generally they go around the hill, expose themselfs only to one cannon and then charge. Meanwhile the bolt throwers are already butchering the enemy or who knows, cannon crews.

Adam87
27-02-2009, 21:45
I like eagles to redirect a charge to make sure my hard hitters get the unit I want. Bolt throwers cant help with that.

Yeah chariots will find it hard to keep up with the rest of my army but reavers dont hit as hard as chariots.

What about dropping the chariots for bolt throwers? Which is better to take?

Fate
27-02-2009, 22:51
To be perfectly honest, I'd never take chariots unless I could field at least 3 of them. Other than that I really prefer the bolt throwers. A eagle can redirect a charge but there is ways to protect yourself against them. Also you are right, a botl thrower won't put the enemy unit in possition for a charge, usually it will just kill the said unit or reduce the models on it and thus making it much less threatning.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
28-02-2009, 16:08
Caledor rocks my life good luck :D

Adam87
01-03-2009, 12:30
OK been thinking of a new caledor list looks like this

Archmage, extra level, seerstaff, vambraces of defence, moon dragon.

645pts

Dragon mage, extra level, silver wand, guardian phoenix.

420pts

10 Archers

110pts

10 Archers

110pts

7 Dragon princes, standard bearer, banner of sorcery.

280pts

7 Dragon princes, standard bearer.

230pts

Eagle

50pts

Eagle

50pts

Bolt thrower (had the points left over)

100pts

What do you think? I realy like the list. I think it will look awesome.

WhiteKnight
01-03-2009, 15:28
Nice job on the magic along with the DDD list. Double Dragon Douche list. This list is fast and hard hitting but you have to break on turn 1 of combat. In this list, I would just outmaneuver the opposition and get some flank charges.

Adam87
01-03-2009, 19:12
Im thinking of taking spells that make my units cause fear. Would realy help the dragon princes. I think it should be a hard list to get points off too.

isidril93
01-03-2009, 19:17
True, eagles take care of cannons, but a dragon needs to charge by the second turn, if he doesn't shows, then I'll shooth the eagles and the dragon will stay hidden the whole game. Generally they go around the hill, expose themselfs only to one cannon and then charge. Meanwhile the bolt throwers are already butchering the enemy or who knows, cannon crews.

with most armies (that dont have monsters) the best way to kill dragons are warmachines...eliminate those and your dragon is very safe.

eagle are only 50 points, taking one will always help

WhiteKnight
02-03-2009, 14:32
The thing you only have to worry about war machines is if the crew is still alive. I usually have an eagle or two to charge them by turn 2 and then handle everything else in combi-charges. I love charging warp lightning cannon crews with my eagles. They have to run!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
02-03-2009, 16:45
I think that you might be better off with scouts over the bolt thrower but i suppose with combined fire from the archers it may actually do something. That would be a really really fun list to play with/ against :D

hooventut
03-03-2009, 05:33
RBT is key but like i said before two or three are sufficient, you dont want to be out of balance. take a chariot or two, they can act as fast cav and align enemies to help promote flanking opportunities and combat on your terms. Plus a chariot over an RBT leaves some extra points for magic items or an extra troop here or there

Adam87
03-03-2009, 11:09
I think that you might be better off with scouts over the bolt thrower but i suppose with combined fire from the archers it may actually do something. That would be a really really fun list to play with/ against :D

Yeah I think it will be too. I think its a hard list but not too over the top.