PDA

View Full Version : Good News for Daemon players!

AdmiralDick
31-01-2009, 19:16
to quote Hubert Farnsworth, "Good News Everyone!"

for those that haven't heard this elsewhere or seen the lastest WD yet, it looks like something good has finally come from the LotR game. long term rumours about circular 40k-style bases that slotted into square fantasy-style bases appear to have finally come to fruition. they are perhaps not what everyone wants, but it looks like the new War of the Rings game has movement trays that LotR minis slot into. so far there appears to be one 'tray' that ranks up 8 basic infantry models and one that houses 2 large based/monstrous models.

this means that Daemon players can now use their models in Fantasy as well as 40k, but within limits. obviously skirmish units and individual monsters are going to be issues still, but i guess its a big step forwards.

this isn't 100% official yet, as the trays are clearly pictured with the models, but not specifically mentioned that i can see (other units are just placed on pieces of brown card).

==Me==
31-01-2009, 19:46
That's neat. I haven't had a need for it since I use square bases on everything, but it sounds like a keeper for others.

Darnok
31-01-2009, 19:54
You don't need those in 40K. And all it can do for WHF is dragging people into the game who didn't play it before, using Daemons - which are considered to be horribly broken there. So lots of new, unexperienced players, using a broken army... that doesn't sound like good news at all. Sorry, I might just be in a very bad mood right now...

Satan
31-01-2009, 20:07
Does anybody have pictures? It sure does sound intersting, even though my daemons are heavily 40k-themed I'd love to try them out in fantasy.

Reaver83
31-01-2009, 20:43
I was thinking of moving my daemons to fantasy land, I also saw these in the latest WD I think it's a great idea, even if daemons are overpowered it will help more people move between games (and maybe i'll do my wood elves finally!)

Lord Raneus
31-01-2009, 23:41
There is one problem, in that these trays are 4x2 while the usual minimum rank for Fantasy is 5.
Plus, working out things such as corner-to-corner fighting and who is in base with who will be kind of wonky without clearly defined square bases.

It's a good idea, but I would recommend just basing your Daemons on square bases for simplicity's sake if you want to go cross system.

On further thought, the 4x2 is going to be a serious issue as you want ranks of 5 for combat infantry in Fantasy, especially Daemons who will go *poof* without as much CR as possible.
You could probably slice a couple of trays together though.

ZOMGBBQ
01-02-2009, 01:44
Was this ever really a problem?
All the Dæmon Players I know just use the Square Bases for both 40k and Fantasy.

40k doesn't need any specific base shape, and even in 4th ed (which had the most idiotic rules regarding bases) they could "Legally" use the square bases as they came with both sets

fluffstalker
01-02-2009, 05:36
Yes zomg, but I guess its just irritatign for obessive compulsive guys like :) to have square and circles on the same board. Looks a bit off.

Seems like a good plan though for those who had minatures with round bases (i think some of the bloodcrushers?) but wanted to include them in fantasy also. After all, if your daemons arent doing all that well in 40k, then come to fantasy land, where no rules (or really tactics) need apply, heh.

Not as bad as all that of course, but they still are number one in Fantasy.

dal9ll
02-02-2009, 19:37
You don't need those in 40K. And all it can do for WHF is dragging people into the game who didn't play it before, using Daemons - which are considered to be horribly broken there. So lots of new, unexperienced players, using a broken army... that doesn't sound like good news at all. Sorry, I might just be in a very bad mood right now...

First of all, Daemons in Fantasy arent inherently "horribly broken". There are brutal max/min builds but overall, "horribly broken" is a huge exaggeration. Also, inexperienced players fielding "broken" armies are not broken at all. Thats definitely an oxymoron.

As for the bases, I could care less because Ive already made all my Daemon movement trays for round bases. Drat!