PDA

View Full Version : 1k High Elf Army (needs help)

Champion89
31-01-2009, 19:27
Okay Well I have tried to play a few games with this army list and it hasn't done to well. Any kind of criticism is welcomed. I don't have a ton of pieces but don't let that limit your suggestions. I'm willing to get more as I want to work up to a larger army.

General
Noble w/ HA, Shield, and Reaver Bow 131 pts

Core
10x Archers 110 pts

15x Spearmen w/ full cmd 160 pts

Special
10x Swordmaster w/ full cmd 180 pts

10x Shadow Warriors w/ Shadow Walker 172 pts

1x Lion Chariot 140 pts

Rare
1x RBT 100 pts

993 pts total

Guanyin
31-01-2009, 19:32
Well, you are 3 points above 1k, so get those out. I'd sugest removing LA from your archers, as it isnt a very strong option. If it was a shield it would be ok, as your dark brothers can take.

It looks a bit shooty, hence stand around and roll dices until stuff gets to you, but it looks playable, especially for friendly games.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
31-01-2009, 19:37
Lion chariot is too expensive for 1000 pts for starters. 10 shadow warriors in 1000pts isnt a phenominal idea in my opinion. Dont bother giving the swordmasters any command it will free up points for other useful stuff. They will get enough points simply by killing things. I dont think the reaver bow is a good idea either. I would recommend giving the hero the armour of caledor and a great weapon. The 2+ save and three strength 6 attacks sounds dandy to me. Dont give the archers any type of command either.

Are you getting owned by magic? If you are trade the Commander for a L2 Mage with seerstaff and a scroll. Give a unit the banner of sorcery and you have a dandy magic phase for 1000pts IMO. Unless you are playing uber against uber magic.
I would recommend trading the shadow warriors for phoenix guard or white lions. I find them very very useful. Especially in small games. Take five dragon princes with no command for the cost of the lion chariot if you like. Or downgrade it to a tiranoc one and use all the points you saved from that, and the random commands to either give magic items to the units you now have or take more :) If you choose the white lions or phoenix guard i would say command them up, give them full command. If you still have points left add in a couple extra swordmasters to up them to 14. Then rank them 7 wide to give 14 attacks

Good luck!

isidril93
31-01-2009, 19:38
thats quite like my 1k army but instead mine is without the archers, 20 spearmen, 15 swordmasters, 7 shadow warriors...the noble should be equiped fighty with a great weapon, armour of caledor, guardian phoenix or radiant gem of hoeth and bear's anger (1st spell lore of beasts)

Champion89
31-01-2009, 20:13
Okay LA is gone lol.

Thanks Dragon for the reply :)
In the 3 games I played, 1 was against Lizardmen and in my opinion that one was winnable. The other 2 were against dark elves. The Dark elves were uber heavy in magic and messed me up some nasty. The second game against the DEs I traded my commander for lvl2 mage and dropped some shadow warriors and added the banner of sorcery. I did better but still lost badly. My mage wasn't enough for his 2x lvl2 mages.

I just want an army that can stand a chance against most opponents. I see what you’re talking about with the Lion chariot and shadow warriors too.

Thanks isidril93 for the reply :)
I have noticed that my archers don’t truly do much. Dang str 3 bows.

I have a question though; I'll probably post it in the rules forum if I can't get a reply here.

If I have a unit of swordmasters with full cmd can I give the Bladelord a scroll? Since he is allowed 25 pts in magic items and the scroll is a magic item I'm thinking it is a yes. I just want to make sure.
Also, if I take the ring of fury, can it be dispelled when I go to cast it? If so how would one go about dispelling it?

Guanyin
31-01-2009, 20:26
No, the champion can not take a scroll, since it is an arcane item, need to be a wizard for that. The bound spell has a casting value attached to it (powerlevel XX) that is needed to be beaten to dispel it.

winkypinky
31-01-2009, 20:32
That looks like a solid list. I would change a few cosmetics things.

remove the shadow stalker he really isnt that good a upgrade (if you have a cool model for it use it anyway and just remove it last)

I would also remove 1 more shadow warrior bringing them to 9 and the command from the swordmasters and upgrade the unit to 13 strong, the 4 extra attacks will probably give you more CR than the standard anyway. (if there is the points remaining I would keep the musician as he is always handy for baiting, something elves have to do a lot)

Also your 2 core units would merge well into:

2*10 Seaguards: Shields, musician

It will give you a lot more flexibility from your core units. Which is very important in such small games with an elite force that is not mounted. (or have really good ranged weapons)

ps. A Sword master champion can not take a scroll since it is an arcane item, and he is not a mage.

I will also add that I think the reaver bow is an excellent item. It would just require that your noble is on a pony to give him the most use of it, and with a unit of cavalry who will use a lot of its time moving around the enemys units waiting for him to let them make a good charge. Like a really small unit of dragon princes, just 5 strong with musician.

If the Dark elf list is giving you to much problems you can always try:

Dragon mage:
Guardian phoenix, silverwand.

10 Archers.

3*5 Dragon princes.

.... Just to see how he would handle it.

isidril93
31-01-2009, 20:49
Also your 2 core units would merge well into:

2*10 Seaguards: Shields, musician

It will give you a lot more flexibility from your core units. Which is very important in such small games with an elite force that is not mounted. (or have really good ranged weapons)

seaguard arent that great an option as they are more expensive than the other two units and wont give that punch in cc or in shooting

you're better off using the points for another mage or another elite unit.

for the DE i suggest an annulian crystal and split the shadow warriors into 2 units which can target the mages

Champion89
01-02-2009, 18:39
Thanks guys for the replies it has giving me quite a bit to think about.

The bound spell has a casting value attached to it (powerlevel XX) that is needed to be beaten to dispel it.

So if I understand this right, an item with a bound spell lvl 3 means they need to beat a 3 to dispell it? Or do they have to beat the spells normal costing value 8+?

Volker the Mad Fiddler
01-02-2009, 20:11
Thanks guys for the replies it has giving me quite a bit to think about.

So if I understand this right, an item with a bound spell lvl 3 means they need to beat a 3 to dispell it? Or do they have to beat the spells normal costing value 8+?

They have to roll 3 or better.