PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse games with 3 super heavy vehicles

magnificent*
01-02-2009, 01:11
I plan on getting a stompa and another super heavy tank because they look pretty, I have not played in years. However it could be good to fight 3 superheavies against 3 super heavies without hordes of infantry really slowing the game down (just moving a horde takes forever).

So
Is it easy to find opponents?
Are games fun?

Inquisitor Engel
01-02-2009, 01:27
Large tank battles are ALWAYS fun. In a battle with titans and a large number of superheavies would render infantry largely useless (as is commented by the Princeps in 'Mechanicum.')

ZOMGBBQ
01-02-2009, 01:38
Yup, Apoc with hoards is just boring (unless you learn how to speed move squads like my lot have)

Khornies & milk
01-02-2009, 02:27
It's easy for me as there's 8 to 12 of us who play Apoc regularly, and most have 2 super-heavies and some 3. While tons of infantry can slow down games we have the advantage of been able to leave a battle mid-game and just continue the next day, or whenever, so it doesn't matter if the goings a bit slow.

Apoc using super-heavies is only fun if all sides have an equal(ish) amount of them, otherwise it's waaay too one-sided and no fun at all for the opposing team.

Lionsbane
01-02-2009, 02:30
I recall 'forgetting' my 4 Super Heavy tanks for two turns in a row one Apoc game because it was just too one sided.

Orkeosaurus
01-02-2009, 02:36
Super Heavies can be fun, but they will absolutely dominate the game if one player doesn't have as many (unless that player spams anti-tank to horrendous levels).

Also, 10" blasts make infantry kind worthless.

linkai
01-02-2009, 03:32
We just played a 12-man Apocalypse game over two weeks, and man, it was tough against one of the players. 2500 points each. He scratchbuilt a Warhound Scout Titan and had a Baneblade and a Hellhammer to boot, plus a squad of Ogryns in cover sitting on an objective. Ouch. :(

silentsmoke
01-02-2009, 09:35
Do it as it is fun - even with 30 tanks and loads of super heavies.

StormWulfen
01-02-2009, 10:02
Apoc using super-heavies is only fun if all sides have an equal(ish) amount of them, otherwise it's waaay too one-sided and no fun at all for the opposing team.

i take titans without super heavys of my own, i just sick a LR terminus on them:evilgrin:

march10k
01-02-2009, 10:17
The only super-heavy I'm interested in is a thunderhawk...come in, smoke one titan with shooting, then drop off titan-hammer terminators at the foot of the next one for a two-fer!

Monospot
01-02-2009, 16:08
Totally depends on the local gaming culture. In my LGS, super-heavies are very, very common in our Apoc battles. What is getting more common is titans....this weekend's Apoc battle had 2 Great Gargants (one scratchbuilt, one old Armorcast) and a Eldar Revenant show up for the festivities, along with 3 Stompas, several Baneblades, an Eldar Tempest, and I think some others.

That being said, you need to make sure that super-heavies are going to fit in with the local culture. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, but bringing a howitzer is kinda rude.