PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves 2250pts

The_Shmu
01-02-2009, 02:09
Took this list to a tournament about a week ago only to get the crap beaten out of me in all of my games (scored 1 battle point for the day!!!). Anyway since then I've been racking my brains on how to improve it but everything i come up with doesn't seem right. So I was looking for some feed back and some advice on how to improve the list.

Lords:
Supreme Sorceress - lvl 4, Sacrificial Dagger - 285

Heroes:
Sorceress - lvl 2, Darkstar Cloak - 160

Sorceress - lvl 2, Dark Pegasus, Seal of Ghrond - 215

Core Units:
23 Warriors - Shields, Full Command - 176

10 Crossbowmen - 100

10 Crossbowmen - 100

5 Harpies - 55

5 Harpies - 55

Special Units:
6 Shades - Great Weapons, Light Armour - 114

14 Witch Elves - Full Command - 165

14 Executioners - Full Command - 198

14 Black Guard - Full Command, Standard of Hag Graef - 252

Rare Units:
Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100

War Hydra - 175

Army Total: 2250pts

Thanks
The_Shmu

FredNo1
01-02-2009, 09:44
Took this list to a tournament about a week ago only to get the crap beaten out of me in all of my games (scored 1 battle point for the day!!!). Anyway since then I've been racking my brains on how to improve it but everything i come up with doesn't seem right. So I was looking for some feed back and some advice on how to improve the list.

Lords:

Heroes:

Core Units:

10 Crossbowmen - 100

10 Crossbowmen - 100

5 Harpies - 55

5 Harpies - 55

Special Units:

Rare Units:

War Hydra - 175

Thanks
The_Shmu

ok first of all dark elves might have on of the best core troops in the game: dark riders.

field these babies in many small units

6x5 units of dark riders is a cheap very powerful harassment, flank force.

after that fill out on either blackguard or cold one knights.

skip the magic and go for a dreadlord and little else on the hero front.

take 2 hydras.

Now u will have an extremly mobile force, great bait units, excellent flankers, hvy hitters...

ur enemies will get slaughtered and whine like little girls

Aurellis
01-02-2009, 11:05
You don't need Dark Riders to be a successful Dark Elf general, I only run 1 unit of 5 and look at my WLD in my signature.

I like the list but you've got 3 elite killy units in the name of WE, BG and Exec's, all of these are taken out pretty quickly and provide a similar role in dealing death. I'd consider dropping one of these to get a nice block of Warriors that can anchor your battle line or a Chariot.

1 Hydra and 2 Bolt Throwers is a fantastic combo for Rare choices, so that should go well for you.

I'd drop the Level 4 and get 2 Level 2's in her place, much more powerful and cheaper per PD, it also spreads the risk somewhat.

FredNo1
01-02-2009, 11:55
You don't need Dark Riders to be a successful Dark Elf general, I only run 1 unit of 5 and look at my WLD in my signature.

I like the list but you've got 3 elite killy units in the name of WE, BG and Exec's, all of these are taken out pretty quickly and provide a similar role in dealing death. I'd consider dropping one of these to get a nice block of Warriors that can anchor your battle line or a Chariot.

1 Hydra and 2 Bolt Throwers is a fantastic combo for Rare choices, so that should go well for you.

I'd drop the Level 4 and get 2 Level 2's in her place, much more powerful and cheaper per PD, it also spreads the risk somewhat.

no def not but it really helps, infact u can deal with the most cheesed out armies very well with alot of dark rider units

Count Demandred
01-02-2009, 12:11
Out of interest, I'm wondering what's with the 14 man squad sizes? I'm assuming you're going to field them in 2x7's?

no def not but it really helps, infact u can deal with the most cheesed out armies very well with alot of dark rider units

Two wrongs don't make a right, as they say.

DoomBringer
01-02-2009, 19:30
Lords:
I would suggest giving this sorc the dark peg to give her better LoS, a lvl 4 DE sorc won't really need a dagger to cast her stuff.

Heroes:
Might consider a dispel scroll instead for spells you NEED to stop.

Woudl give this one a dagger, as a lvl 2 can be almost as potent as a lvl 4 with a dagger.

Core Units:

10 Crossbowmen - 100

10 Crossbowmen - 100

5 Harpies - 55

5 Harpies - 55

Special Units:
I'd lose the Light Armour, it will hardly ever come into play.

I would think about losing the command on these, and breaking them up into 2 groups of 7 and using them as primary flankers for your BH or Warriors. They will do just as much damage on the charge, and if one gets shot up you still have another one who can still negate ranks and such.

Rare Units:

War Hydra - 175

Thanks
The_Shmu

Overall I like this list, I do not think you need dark riders for this list, as harpies are good enough for your march blocking needs.

The_Shmu
03-02-2009, 06:17
FredNo1: I like the idea of Dark riders but i think the reason i didn't go for them was that I lacked the funds to a get a decent amount of them and my friends told me that harpies would suffice. I do think that 6x5 units is a bit excessive but i might give a unit or two a try. another question though would you advise giving them crossbows?

Aurellis: As with the killy units i found that they were killed fairly quickly and lacked effectiveness so would it be better to as you said remove one of them for warriors or a chariot or would removing one to bolster that others be a better option? Noting that change in characters is it worth going all out magic as you said with 4 lvl 2's or would mixing things up with a master or death hag also be another better option?

Count Demandred: friends suggested that the good killy units would kill more if more got into base contact so thats why the frontage of 7.

Doom Bringer: My only problem with putting the lvl 4 on the Pegasus is it makes her to visible when she has no save. for the heroes would you suggest a) getting rid of the pegasus on one of them or keeping it and would you add scrolls in addition to everything else? Yeah i actually forgot the shades had light armor on the day as i only gave it to them as a points filler... with the executioners and the witch elves would you agree with aurellis and remove the witch elves to either bolster the other units or add different ones?

Thanks for all the advice
The_Shmu

DoomBringer
03-02-2009, 06:43
To argument the potection on your lvl 4, you could give her a PoK, that will defend her from miscasts and a lot of offensive power.

As far as your special slots go, I would still consider making your executioners into a smaller, less expensive squad (7-12 no command) but I wouldn't remove them, as you need some real can openers in this list as it is and its fun to KB vampire generals.

With the points saved from those executioners you can put the pendent on your lord and put her on the peggy, whilst still having enough for a scroll or two.

chippyman64
03-02-2009, 08:16
perhaps: dont take a pegy but put her on a dark steed and give her a focus familiar.

first turn run her into a wood and just count as being outside it for the magic turn.

spend the extra points on hydars teath, as they count as combat there great for taking out war machines