PDA

View Full Version : Escalation Empire list

talencross
01-02-2009, 03:06
I have an escalation league I am about to start. I have never played fantasy. I just purchased 10 State Troops, 10 Handgunners, 5 Pistoliers. From this base, what would everyone suggest I buy?
As for what I would like is No flagallents or priests. More Infantry than anything else. I can use most anything else. No idea what to do. Thanks again.

RavenBloodwind
01-02-2009, 04:09
Unsure that army lists is the ideal forum for this, but anyway...

For empire centered on infantry, you'll really need quite a lot of infantry. Your standard blocks of infantry should number 24-30 in full-sized games (over 1500pts) and be accompanied by detachments.

A solid support staff of knights and artillery and a mage or 2 for magic defense should see you through.

Based on your current purchases, I'd think the battalion box would be a good option. This will net you some knights, an artillery piece and a few more infantrymen. Tack a few more state-troops to this and you should have a solid core.

Many on WarSeer feel that the Arch Lector is vital to a winning build for an Empire army. Please feel free not to believe them. Your current idea for a build without flagellants and priests is quite fluffy and likely will perform fine, even very well at lower points levels (such as your escalation league...)

talencross
01-02-2009, 16:38
thanks! I guess I need to save up for the Box then.

Lord Dan
01-02-2009, 16:50
I think priests can be a great asset to your army, however I agree with Raven's implication that you don't need 4 of them. In a 2250 game I take one, and he usually goes with my knights to allow them to re-roll in the first round of combat. His bound prayers are really just a nice bonus.

talencross
01-02-2009, 17:39
It is for Fluff reasons that I do not want to take piests or flagellents. I understand they are great, but it would not fit what I am trying to do.
I am trying to create something "based" on Glen Cooks Black Company books. So no priests. Maybe down the road I can add 1 priest and maybe 1 flagellent based on what happens in 1 book, but not looking to put any in right now.

Moderator: if this sin't the best forum for this, please feel free to move it. Thanks and sorry for the inconvience.

w3rm
02-02-2009, 20:31
Volley Guns are beast as well as Grand Masters. For Infantry you want swordsmen and spearmen. Use Halberdiers for detachments. IMO X-bows are better than handguns. Shure you get AP but the longer range and same strength wins it for me. Greatswords all alright, they have a good save but maybe some x-bowmen detachments or handgunners to help them along.

Makarion
03-02-2009, 06:45
In the batallion box, you'll get 8 knights. I would suggest using the knight with a standard as a captain BSB for your army (mounted for a better armour save), and the knight champion as a regular captain - perhaps your general. That leaves you with 6 regular knights, one of which is a musician - a perfectly viable unit.