PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Rules

Aryakas
02-12-2005, 21:08
I've been playing 40k for a while now, but after looking through the Fantasy rulebook it seems interesting and might be a nice change of pace. Looking through all the races I like the feel of the Skaven army however my dilemma lies in the fact that I don't particularly want hundreds of rat models which I think look to similar. I love the Empire range for their customizability (that can't be a word) and while pondering the situation yesterday I believe I came up with a solution. I am not much for writing but heres my attempt at some fluff.

The Dying Company of Adriarch
The Dying Company believes only in the meaninglessness of life and everything beyond. Their actions are highly erratic and it is unknown why or how they manage to stay coherent from day to day. Numerous reports document their random appearances across the realm, one day coming to the aid of a besieged village only to be found striking beside the forces of Chaos the next. Their actions seem to suggest they do things simply for the sake of doing them with no purpose and no goals. Their leader, Astriven Adriarch is considered both a great hero and an abomination depending on where one chooses to inquire. It is never known where they will appear and what they will choose to do once they arrive.

Using this as a basis I could attempt to use empire models and Skaven rules.
Just thought i'd see if anyone thought it was a decent idea or not.

SlaaneshSlave
03-12-2005, 01:51
Long as its clear which units are Slaves, Clanrats, & Stormvermin; all would be fine. Might be hard to make that clear.

What were you thinking as stand-ins for each unit?

Aryakas
03-12-2005, 02:03
I was thinking something like this

Clanrats = The Indifferent
Men with no motives or goals, while they are not cowardly as such emotions are lost to them, they tend to be very disinterested in what is going on around them. It's common for entire squads to wander off the battlefield for no apparant reason.

Skaven Slaves = Broken Souls
Those that can't come to terms with the overwhelming despair they feel become broken, their minds shattered and their bodies agonized. They are twisted hollow shells that look at the world around them with complete and utter terror. In battle they meander about looking for release from their tormented lives and the sight of their death is not new to everyone else as they often take their own lives off the battlefield.

I'm not sure how I would make the Indifferents look special compared to normal empire but the Broken Souls would mostly be painting and posing. I was thinking of having some crawling about or curled up, painting them with sunken eyes and discolored skin. I'm still thinking what to do about the heroes.

Muffin Man
03-12-2005, 09:57
Possibly Militia for the Indifferent as Militia are not really well armored but still reasonably clean looking.

And maybe Flagellents for the Broken Souls (although metal models will be expensive) since they look really dirty, just do something about the flails.

Or going off of your idea, you could mix in zombie bits with the empire bits for the Broken Souls so you wouldn't be relying entirely on painting for the effect.

You might have a tough time with weapon teams though.