PDA

View Full Version : Necron Lord + Warscythe - Is it really worth it?

Phenomenon
01-02-2009, 14:44
I always used to give my necron lord a warscythe without question in every game because of the whole 'no save' thing, but then it dawned on me, The staff of light is a power weapon that ignores armor saves anyway plus you get an Assult 3 AP 3 (marine killing) ranged weapon:evilgrin:.

So i ask you is it really worth it?

Lord Damocles
01-02-2009, 14:47
My Lord always has a Warscythe simply because it lets him (it?) duel enemy characters - because, lets be honest, nothing else is up to the job any more - who tend to have invulnerable saves. It also makes him excellent at taking out vehicles - with an average penetration of 12.

The Staff of Light is nice, but with a 12" range, you're unlikely to get to use it more than once before you're in combat (which equates to about 1 dead Marine).

Znail
01-02-2009, 14:51
What is your backup plan for handling Assault Terminators with TH/SS if you get rid of your Warscythe?

Phenomenon
01-02-2009, 14:57
I see where your coming from, and yes with a squad of pariahs i see it as a logical decision but if they lord is attached to say- a squad of immortals???

Lord Damocles
01-02-2009, 15:09
Haha, Pariahs. Oh the hilarity :(

Seriously though; if the Lord is attached to Immortals either:
-They're going VoD bombing. In this case, you want to end up with the entire unit between 13 and 24" from their target (so they're out of assault range, but within Gauss Blaster range). Here the Staff is out of range.

-The Lord is hiding so he's not picked off. In which case, I'd still prefer the Warscythe so he can stand some chance against assaulters. (He's probably still going to loose combat and get run down, but what can you do?)

cuda1179
01-02-2009, 15:09
If your Lord gets into contact with assault marines he is DEAD anyway. Don't use him like that. I think the best use of a Warsyth is on a jetbike Lord to go vehicle hunting. After all he is now our best shot at it due to 5th ed. screwing up our guass rules.

Necronlord3
01-02-2009, 15:48
I too have run in the Staff of Light camp for years but with 5th edition leaning more toward Close Combat I see better uses for the Warscythe. I have rarely been able to make the shooting attacks with the Staff of Light, but the 10 extra points for the Warscythe has kept me using it. I now see greater effectiveness in getting around the INV. saves. I'm also going to be playtesting Pariahs for 5th edition games to see if they are any more effective.

Deus Mechanicus
01-02-2009, 15:54
I remember a game where a Necron Destroyer Lord with Warscythe assaulted a Tau Anti tank Commander and ended up in combat for 5 turns before the Tau died (and the lord only had 1 wound left) he didn't do much the last turn of the game :)

but yeah take him he is good.

thechosenone
01-02-2009, 16:15
On the Staff vs the Warscythe, it depends on your other wargear choice. If you take Nightmare shroud as i frequently take or you take Gaze of Flame then take Warscythe. Your not going to be shooting the staff when you have the shroud or you have gaze(As Gaze sort of suggests your in a position to be assaulted a lot). Take staff if you are just playing Res Orb/Veil in my opinion. It saves a few points and by taking Veil you sort of have commited yourself to shooting anyway.

On the playability of Pariahs. Just last night i played my friend's mech drive by sisters with my Necrons and made the challenge to him and to myself of doing a no res orb no monolith list. I ran 6 immortals. It was spearhead and Kill points. The I lost four units to his seven and the Immortals survived till turn 5 of the six turns we played. They can survive and they work great as a support unit due to their leadership sink they impose on the enemy. Combined that with Nightmare Shroud and CC from my Nightbringer and the Immortals themselves and it worked out real well. Them being T5 and S5 with 3+ armor also helps. Where they get hurt is when there's no cover and they get shot with plasmas and the like. Don't be afraid to try unconventional stuff. SOmetimes you find that it works. Pariahs work. Not in small games mind you due to their points but they are very versatile units.

Phenomenon
01-02-2009, 16:26
If they improve pariahs (or just lower the points) then warscythe it is!!!

IrishDelinquent
01-02-2009, 16:36
After facing an opponent's space marines, lead by Lysander, the Warscythe seems worth every bloody point! A 3+ invul save is a b*tch to get around.

kabum
01-02-2009, 18:38
In my opinion is worth it. The no saves helps you to face anything with security.
The shooting of the staff of light is not so usefull usually since it's short range... and where you are so close you finish in CC.

AngryAngel
01-02-2009, 18:52
You know what I have to say I don't think the warscythe is worth it at all. At least not in my local area. The power weapon will kill most all marines just as good as the warscythe, while also being cheaper and leaving the lord with a shooting attack. As I just wouldn't assault a lord I knew had one with units it would be that helpfull against.

As well I'd rather have the shooting still if facing hordes like Orks which is insanely popular right now. The warscythe isn't going to do much better against a warboss. It's just a needless upgrade for something that will most likely get trashed in CC anyways.

Best possible use of the Lord are still VoD around units, and keeping them alive longer with a res orb. Once ya start throwing him into assaults its risking a needed and expensive HQ needlessly.

If you want to kill assault termies, shoot them, flood them with wounds. It works much better then one or two people with a warscythe, especially seeing as the pariahs are pretty ehhh.

The_Outsider
01-02-2009, 20:10
Warsctyhe is always worth it - it means there is nothing the necron lord cannot do and outside of the CC monster HQ's he stands a decent chance of beating a lot of models one on one.

MasterDecoy
01-02-2009, 21:18
excellent for killing those greater deamons too :P

Johnnyfrej
01-02-2009, 21:32
Don't the new SM Stormshields give a 3+ invul? That's almost reason enough to take a Warscythe.

==Me==
01-02-2009, 21:50
Ignoring all saves is great, but +2D6 armor pen is where it's at for the warscythe. A S4 AP3 weapon is so-so, but a Destroyer Lord with a scythe really makes up for the Necrons' biggest problem in 5th, heavy armor. I've seen such a Lord run with Wraiths and tear up any armored unit they come across.

Sekhmet
01-02-2009, 21:55
Ignoring all saves is great, but +2D6 armor pen is where it's at for the warscythe. A S4 AP3 weapon is so-so, but a Destroyer Lord with a scythe really makes up for the Necrons' biggest problem in 5th, heavy armor. I've seen such a Lord run with Wraiths and tear up any armored unit they come across.
S5 AP3.

On the Staff vs the Warscythe, it depends on your other wargear choice. If you take Nightmare shroud as i frequently take or you take Gaze of Flame then take Warscythe. Your not going to be shooting the staff when you have the shroud or you have gaze(As Gaze sort of suggests your in a position to be assaulted a lot). Take staff if you are just playing Res Orb/Veil in my opinion. It saves a few points and by taking Veil you sort of have commited yourself to shooting anyway.

On the playability of Pariahs. Just last night i played my friend's mech drive by sisters with my Necrons and made the challenge to him and to myself of doing a no res orb no monolith list. I ran 6 immortals. It was spearhead and Kill points. The I lost four units to his seven and the Immortals survived till turn 5 of the six turns we played. They can survive and they work great as a support unit due to their leadership sink they impose on the enemy. Combined that with Nightmare Shroud and CC from my Nightbringer and the Immortals themselves and it worked out real well. Them being T5 and S5 with 3+ armor also helps. Where they get hurt is when there's no cover and they get shot with plasmas and the like. Don't be afraid to try unconventional stuff. SOmetimes you find that it works. Pariahs work. Not in small games mind you due to their points but they are very versatile units.
Confusing Immortals with Pariahs?

And honestly, it's not much of a challenge to play without a rez orb and monolith. ;) Some of us have been doing it since 3rd edition.

El_Machinae
01-02-2009, 23:34
I think it's a function of commitment. You're commiting to using it if you get it. I think it's very fairly priced, in that (if you use it) you don't regret buying it.

thechosenone
02-02-2009, 03:56
S5 AP3.

Confusing Immortals with Pariahs?

And honestly, it's not much of a challenge to play without a rez orb and monolith. ;) Some of us have been doing it since 3rd edition.

I goofed the name up but i ran Pariahs and Immortals. More Immortals then Pariahs but yeah. And Whomever those folks are that run without the orb and lith are few and far between in my area and I do look and read many of the battle reps and army lists and more often then not you see the Destroyer spam immortal load out with lith and res veil lord. I'll say that running without those big point sinks was a lot of fun and freed me up to play Night Bringer and Pariahs.

The Warscythe i think just comes down to the loadout for your lord. There is no "warscythe is good or not good" answer here.

Hellgore
02-02-2009, 13:59
I love my Lord w/ Warscythe, Destructorbody and Resurrection Orb - He is a Jetbiking Killer having so far killed hivetyrants, abbadon and all the other big cc-badasses. Even when he went down I had so far an above than average chance to revive him to go for the killing again. He is even stronger with a bunch of Phantoms by his side.