PDA

View Full Version : Another Rank Bonus question

Masters of Ulthwe
01-02-2009, 18:29
In the previous edition a unit would lose it's rank bonus if it was charged in the flank and also engaged at the front. Does this still occur? Thanks.

Master Incarias
01-02-2009, 18:47
Assuming the flanking unit is US 5 or more, yes. Page 38 of the BRB.

Masters of Ulthwe
01-02-2009, 19:00
Okey dokey. I was on the right page but was looking at the Flank and Rear Attack para's not the Extra Rank one. Thanks.

stripsteak
02-02-2009, 16:18
Assuming the flanking unit is US 5 or more, yes. Page 38 of the BRB.

in addition to the above skirmishers never remove rank bonus. and remember you count US at the start of the combat, since you don't regain your ranks until the beginning of the following turn.

narrativium
02-02-2009, 18:21
No, you don't. Ranks at the start of combat, US at the end.

Nuada
02-02-2009, 18:27
remember you count US at the start of the combat.

Not got BRB with me, but i thought rank bonus was the only thing you counted at the start of combat.
For example if a unit of 20 elves attacked a unit of 23 goblins and the elves killed 4 goblins. Then it's the elves who get the +1 bonus for outnumbering.

The original post asked if you need to be engaged in the front for your flank attacking chargers to gain a +1 bonus. Don't think you do any more, a flanking attack unit >US5 still gives you +1 com res even if the enemy unit isn't engaged.

(apologies if all this is totally wrong) :p

nosferatu1001
02-02-2009, 18:32
He meant rank bonus as regards the US of the flanking enemy. this is counted at the start

narrativium
02-02-2009, 18:41
You count the rank bonus. If the flanking units have US5+ at the end of the round of combat, it's nullified. If you reduce the flanking unit's US to 4 or less, the rank counts.

Bac5665
02-02-2009, 18:53
Narrativium is correct. This is how it is played this edition. I have now idea how it worked in 6th, but in 7th, rank bonus is counted at the beginning but you check to see if it is denied at the end of combat.

stripsteak
02-02-2009, 19:39
He meant rank bonus as regards the US of the flanking enemy. this is counted at the start

yes sorry should have been more clear that's what i meant.

according to RAW you lose rank bonus when fighting to your flank against an enemy with US 5 or more, which would happen at the start of combat, and so you would lose your rank bonus then..

and you regain it 'at the beginning of the following turn' so even if you reduce the US below 5 you have already lost it for that turn.

Necromancy Black
02-02-2009, 22:21
You count the rank bonus. If the flanking units have US5+ at the end of the round of combat, it's nullified. If you reduce the flanking unit's US to 4 or less, the rank counts.

Oh god. Come on, lets get this right...

Rank bonus are calculated at the begining of combat. So if you rank is negated at the begining of combat it's negated at the end.

The rules support this as it says that if a flanking unit is reduced to below US5 you get you rank bonus at the beginning of the following turn. So sorry narrativium you got it wrong.

US is counted at the end of combat, adn I think so is everything else like falnking bonus's and such.

narrativium
02-02-2009, 22:54
That could improve my win-percentage a bit.