PDA

View Full Version : Converting 40k to other systems: Weapons

d4m0s4n
02-12-2005, 22:37
So while I like 40k I do tinker with convering the figures and stats to other game systems which provide a deeper gaming experience. This isn't a bash against 40k mind you so don't think it is.

Presently I'm hacking up a few quick changes to use Chain Reaction in the 40k universe. My question, for those of you who have gone through this conversion process with other games, is how do you convert the weapons over to the new system?

My normal process is basically try and try and see what sticks. Or what basically "feels right."

Hoshi No Koe
07-12-2005, 16:15
When making my LotR based heroic skirmish rules, I tried looking at the different weapon and unit profiles that represented the converted units the best and changed the mechanics bit by bit to fit them as much as I could while adding or substracting points here and there. Then test, and rework until I get something that works well enough while representing the weapon and unit effects to a staisfactory degree.

madmax666
02-03-2007, 05:06
well, ive been working on a world of darkness/40k crossover...its turning out very interesting. If anyone is interested in white wolf/40k weapons and armor information...let me know

IncubiLord
02-03-2007, 05:54
I look at a lot of comparisons.

A flamethrower in another system is obviously a flamer or heavy flamer, unless it can be put on a welding/cutting setting, in which case it's a Burna.

When you start looking at the description of the weapon, it starts to look a lot like something that's already in the system, unless it's really special.

Even then, you start from whatever it most-closely resembles and tweak - don't just make a profile and cross your fingers.

Having all the codices is quite helpful here. You then have sample material of a wide range of random-ish rules and points costs for guidelines.

I'm not familiar with Chain Reaction, but if you'd care to offer a weapon-description that's been troublesome, I'll tell you how I'd approach it.

lanrak
03-03-2007, 01:36
I agree with Incubilord.
Most of the weapons in 40k are based on standard modern weapons.
Some are given special rules simply to make the armies more apealing/different.

So picking the weapon most similar to a 40k weapon and using the straight stats from an alternative system works much better than trying to add the 'artistic bulls**t' that GW pushes into the codexes.IMO.